Profile Picture

can't output with alpha channel

Posted By edmllc 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
edmllc
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (457 reputation)Senior Member (457 reputation)Senior Member (457 reputation)Senior Member (457 reputation)Senior Member (457 reputation)Senior Member (457 reputation)Senior Member (457 reputation)Senior Member (457 reputation)Senior Member (457 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 14 Years Ago
I have read through the forum and found a couple solutions for outputting with an alpha channel but it does not seem to work for me.  I am trying to get a video file that I can use in Adobe Premiere with a transparent background.

I have a photoshop file that I have saved as both a png file and a targa file.  I can import just fine into crazy talk 6.  When I output and bring into Premire, I get the file but it has a white background.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ted

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi Ted,

Crazytalk can't output video with a transparent background. If you want your output with an alpha channel then you should choose Sequence Image format (PNG, TGA etc). Once you have outputted to this format you can then add these to your video editor to compile your movie.

Hope this helps. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

ivanthek
ivanthek
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
I'm trying tp export a png or targa sequence with transparent (alpha channel) background.  How do I get rid of the white background?  I am using CTAPro
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

ivanthek (4/7/2011)
I'm trying tp export a png or targa sequence with transparent (alpha channel) background.  How do I get rid of the white background?  I am using CTAPro

As long as you don't add a background to your scene then exporting to Sequence PNG will include a transparent background. For example add one of the comic characters, apply an animation and then export to sequence png. All the exported images will have a transparent background.

If you are using your own custom character and that character has a white background around it then you will need to remove that first. You can find out how to do this HERE.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

ivanthek
ivanthek
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)

I'm still having issues with this process, using CTA Pro.  I open the program, and import a previously masked PNG file of a head shot photo with alpha channel included.  I then do the CT face fitting exercise successfully, and put the fitted face in stage mode.  I anitmate the head.  I never touch the background, although from the get-go the "stage" background is white.  I simply want to export a sequence of the head being animated for use in After Effects.  Exporting as a PNG sequence is leaving me with a white, NOT transparent, background.  I tried puting in a green background to be keyed out in AE, but this doesn't work well with the image I'm working with.  Please advise.  Thanks.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The first thing to check is that your image has a transaprent background in CTA before export. You can do this very easily by adding a background into the preview window. If your character does have a transparent background you will be able to see this immediately.

Once you are happy that your character has indeed got a transparent background you should be able to export to sequence image successfully (remove the background first obviously).

If you find that your character does not have a transparent background in CTA then you will need to remove it first using the method I linked to in my previous post.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

ivanthek
ivanthek
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Well, as I indicated in my prior post I put a green background to see if I could key it out in AE.  That confirmed for me in CTA that my image indeed has a transparent background. 

Is there a way to know whether the white background in the empty stage mode is a solid or transparent?  For example, in Photoshop, transparent backgrounds can be represented by a grey and white checkerboard pattern.

chris_20110502173850374
chris_20110502173850374
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)

Is there a plan to export to FLV with alpha channel at some point? This would be a really useful feature for integration into other Flash movies. Exporting to SWF would be great, too, if that also had a transparent background. Without this the process for doing what I'm trying to do is very cumbersome and makes the product hard to use.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

chris_20110502173850374 (5/3/2011)
Is there a plan to export to FLV with alpha channel at some point? This would be a really useful feature for integration into other Flash movies. Exporting to SWF would be great, too, if that also had a transparent background. Without this the process for doing what I'm trying to do is very cumbersome and makes the product hard to use.

I know of no immediate plans to introduce this feature but I will certainly forward your request to the CTA team so they can look into it. Thanks for the feedback.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

ivanthek (4/8/2011)
Is there a way to know whether the white background in the empty stage mode is a solid or transparent?  For example, in Photoshop, transparent backgrounds can be represented by a grey and white checkerboard pattern.

Just add a background into your scene and you will be able to see immediately if your character has a transparent background or not. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic