Profile Picture

Workflow for mesh combining cloth items?

Posted By jerome.dipietro Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question.png
jerome.dipietro
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
What would be the best workflow to take a clothed character into blender and bring back a mesh combined version? I'd like to permanently delete the hidden faces and export the entire outfit as a single mesh.

I thought about exporting, doing the modelling/combining in Blender and reimporting into CC4 as a new 'Accessory' but I'd then have to recreate the Skin Weights using 'transfer skin weights' (which I usually find needs some manual fixing). I wondered if there was a way to bypass that step and still retain the original Skin Weights?

Unity Virtual Reality Developer
animagic
animagic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 33 minutes ago
What you seem to suggest is to merge the clothing with the body.

I'm no Blender expert but even if you could accomplish that you would  increasing the vertex count and configuration of the mesh. The result would no longer be considered a CC character. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
Last Year by animagic
4u2ges
This post has been flagged as an answer
4u2ges
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
As I understand you do not care about the character and only want to combine the outfit (otherwise see animagic's reply Smile)

There is a way for doing that and you have to use Blender pipeline.

Given you already have set hidden faces for clothing items (layered clothing for instance) and would like to delete those faces permanently and combine cloth items.
So before the export you have to select each cloth item, go to Hide Body/Mesh Tool and select Show All.
That would ensure that not a single face from the character itself would be deleted on export from CC.
Next export with pipeline and check Delete Hidden Faces
Import to blender with Pipeline add-on and for each cloth item use Mesh > Clean up > Delete loose (CC only deletes faces on export leaving a bunch of loose vertices).
Then in object mode select all cloth items with Shift and use Ctrl+J to merge (weight data would be preserved).
Export from Blender and import to CC (again with pipeline). On Layers selection prompt, combined cloth might be selected as Hair by default. Make sure to choose Cloth option.
Done.
Weights and Materials for merged cloth would be preserved. Just make sure NOT to merge dissimilar items like Cloth with Shoes and/or Gloves.

Edited
Last Year by 4u2ges
jerome.dipietro
jerome.dipietro
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Thank you. Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do and your step by step explanation is extrememly useful.

I'm having an issue with the reimport though. Instead of seeing that Layers selection prompt, I'm being asked to select a Characterize Profile. It auto-detects a CC_Game character (which is indeed what my character is) then after a little pop-up that says 'Error Json Setting', I get everything back in but with all elements showing as Mesh  children of a character called RootNode:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bda38f3d-fe9a-4693-acd1-e277.png

The problem is I can't make that a Cloth item to apply to other characters.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

It seems you are not using Pipeline add-on. You have to: https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost475005.aspx
Otherwise, you will not be able to return character as CC Standard  while exporting with "delete hidden faces" option because FBX key would not be generated.

And obviously you end up importing back as Humanoid, which is not going to do any good as it does not produce CC cloth.

Edited
Last Year by 4u2ges
jerome.dipietro
jerome.dipietro
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Did some more testing and found that it does work just as expected if the character is a CC3+ Neutral Base. I guess that's a limitation of the Blender Pipeline Tool, but I can totally live with that.

Thanks again 4u2ges

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

You are welcome...
And it should work for any CC3+ base characters as long as there are no hidden body faces on export from CC. You may always check that in Blender.
Those numbers must be the same for body face/vertex count for any CC3+ character:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1414e2f2-9e3c-4456-9510-d3cb.jpg

jerome.dipietro
jerome.dipietro
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yeah, my mistake was trying to work on a Game Base.
I can finally make my own Full-Body outfits! This will save a ton of time BigGrin

Reading This Topic