How to make sure that layers in SVG gets imported to CTA 5

Posted By andreas.hagglund 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

How to make sure that layers in SVG gets imported to CTA 5

Author
andreas.hagglund
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hi, 
I am super new to CTA, and have probably made a stupid mistake somewhere. 
I can't get the import SVG to work though. 

I have an image in inkscape where I have grouped the parts into various sub-layers, ie head, left arm, right arm etc. 
All sub-layers are under a super-layer called character. 

When I import it to CTA all layers are gone!! All I get is root. 
It does not matter if I save the svg as an inkscape-svg or as a plain svg. 

Can someone please help me by letting me know if there is a setting or something I have missed to make sure CTA is detecting the different layers. 
In all video tutorials it just seem to work...

Kind regards, 
Andreas
andreas.hagglund
andreas.hagglund
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)New Member (75 reputation)

Never mind this question - I figured it out myself, but I don't know how to delete the question...

CTA 5 only recognizes the top layers, so it is not possible to import a hierarchy of layers. 
Somehow I get the opposite understanding from watching various tutorials online. 
grinnbear
grinnbear
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)

I've been trying to get a character into CTA5 today and one thing I can tell you is you HAVE to use the layer naming conventions. You have to have two separate layer groups, one for bones & one for images. Each bone layer has to be connected properly to each other & the ONLY thing that can be in your different groups, head, arm, etc. are paths. I'm taking Mark's 2D 101 class ( it's great!) and I am a bit confused. Tomorrow I am going back to the class and ask what I did wrong. 

My PC
====
CPU: 4.00 gigahertz Intel Core i7-6700K
MB: Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2133
HD: 2-2TB Western DigitalCaviar Black
VB: EVGA GTX 980
DirectX: 12

"Sure you can trust the government, ask any Indian."
Famekrafts
Famekrafts
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Yes, check out the end of the - Create Your Animated Series Fast in Cartoon Animator 5. I was having a similar problem with Illustrator, he made a video for me and all the students

CTA5, Iclone 7, 3D Exchange Pro, Character Creator 3, Popcornfx plugin, Zbrush, Blender, Vue 2014, Adobe cc suite, Spriter
Homebuild Workstation (Pretty old now but still working great) Win 10, Intel i7 950, 24 GB RAM DDR3, Gigabyte x58a-ud7 motherboard, AMD R9 390 sapphire 8GB VRAM.
Official Website  Reallusion Store  

Edited
2 Years Ago by Famekrafts
shotymac
shotymac
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I know this question is old and may have been solved... but in case anyone else stumbles across this thread with the same issue.
The way to import an SVG with layers intact is a bit different than the documentation shown in the CTA 5 help. The CTA 5 help shows that the layers should be under a layer 1 group folder, directly followed by a named group. Following these instructions resulted in only a single root layer. Instead, bring all body part groups to the top, and make sure all layers are uniquely named, with no duplicate layer names, or the layers will not be carried over when brought into CTA 5.

Reading This Topic