Profile Picture

Publishing games with show or hide content components per CC4 character in game deployment...

Posted By rickygai 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Publishing games with show or hide content components per CC4...

Author
rickygai
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Hi,

I want to publish CC4 characters created with content components commercially ( with the default or purchased content items under Extended License ) held on image, video, games and VR/AR platforms.

After reading RL EULA, Forum and FAQ, obviously "in-game character generation system" or "character generation system" are not allowed.

QUESTIONS:

1. If I generated CC4 characters with content components and "face morphed" set respectively and import into a game, user allow to show or hide the content component such as "shoes" only but no shoes swapping between other CC4 characters.

For example CC4 characters generated:

Character A has content components 1,2,3
Character B has content components 4,5,6

Inside the game, user is allowed to turn ON/OFF 1/2/3 of character A, but no swapping B's 4/5/6 into A.

The reason is, a CC4 character may wear bikini when near beach then when in the city, CC4 character can switch to formal office wear.

So this way, allowing user to turn ON/OFF without swapping component items and software programming wise is easier to control.

Can I commercial games with CC4 characters in this way ?

Please advise.
Edited
2 Years Ago by rickygai
Sophus
Sophus
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If I understood it correctly in the past, if the user has >>any<< control over the characters appearence (doesn't matter how small the changes are) you need an enterprice license. If the game just switches levels and the outfit changes because the environment changes there is no problem to use the extended license.

So my tip is, to get assets like clothing from other content stores or get Marvelous Designer and Substance Painter and create them yourself.
Edited
2 Years Ago by Sophus
rickygai
rickygai
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)Senior Member (439 reputation)

hi Sophus,

Thanks for the hint, it help and much appreciated.

I also submitted similar questions to RL support for clarification on using CC4 characters for games.
Meanwhile I hopes Reallusion at least comes out with some source of guidelines to overcome this grey area.

Especially for games publishing, RL does not give a crystal clear CC4 commercial usage policy, and indie developers may find it not flexible to publish games using CC4.
Moreover, the "Enterprise" license can be very expensive.

However, I received initial feedback from RL support yesterday as I mentioned to withdraw the CC4 license, not until I clearly understand what is the CC4 character deployment policy about.

Below are extractions from the feedback:
"Basically, we do not distinguish between the commercial and non-commercial version for the software itself. The license ( CC4+Headshot ) you purchase can also be used for commercial purposes."
"However if you plan to use the content in games, apps or AR/VR project for mass distribution, this requires an Extended license for the content."
"Extended license only applies to Gaming, AR and apps and the only content that requires an Extended License are the CC Components ccSlider, ccHair, ccCloth, ccShoes, and ccGloves. Props, motions and accessories do not need an Extended License."
"If you use a character made with CC Component in games, apps or AR/VR project, you will be required to purchase an Extended License for the used CC Components for mass distribution."

Obviously, statement above with Extended License, we can publish games commercially, later from this forum games made cannot be character generation system, even prohibits a minor switching control to a CC4 character's content component ALONE.

What is this man ? indie developer like me needs to earn money via publish games to pay for licensing that RL enforced, if before making stable income, RL already starts charging a big sum through Enterprise License, you tell me how I am going to survive with CC4 software ?

So, below are silly questions to check with,
1. Can I publish commercially CC4 character in games to hold third party weapon assets ( not CC4 content component ) ?
2. Can I publish commercially CC4 character in games to switch weapons ( third party assets, not CC4 content component ) at real-time during gameplay ?

I really need to receive solid answers from Reallusion support because I only have 8 days to apply the refund starting today.

Thanks.
Edited
2 Years Ago by rickygai
michaelrbarton
michaelrbarton
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Maybe you should buy ActorCore avatars. I don't think you need IC8 and CC4 for that. 
You just purchase the character or characters and add motions to them. 
You can't change the clothing on them.
Here is link to Cloud Service ActorCore License.
Content EULA - ActorCore (reallusion.com)
rickygai
rickygai
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks michael, I think to wait for RL support feedback to be sure of what to do next. I often buy Unity Assets, but for character wise, CC4 is best suited.
Sophus
This post has been flagged as an answer
Sophus
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
rickygai (12/6/2022)
Especially for games publishing, RL does not give a crystal clear CC4 commercial usage policy, and indie developers may find it not flexible to publish games using CC4.
Moreover, the "Enterprise" license can be very expensive.

I think they are being intentionally vague. In case there is a tiny chance that you develop the next big hit, Reallusion probably wants to get some of that money. Depending on the quality of your project and your manpower, I think they'll either give away the enterprise license cheap for small games or charge a (maybe even larger) percentage of the revenue for bigger projects made by studios.

rickygai (12/6/2022)
1. Can I publish commercially CC4 character in games to hold third party weapon assets ( not CC4 content component ) ?
2. Can I publish commercially CC4 character in games to switch weapons ( third party assets, not CC4 content component ) at real-time during gameplay ?

Yes, third party content is okay to use (depending on the license of the third party). As long as you don't allow the player to modify the characters height, face, hair etc. to create a custom look during gameplay.
Edited
2 Years Ago by Sophus
rickygai
rickygai
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thank you Sophus.

Reading This Topic