Profile Picture

How to Import Motions from Unity to CC4?

Posted By Wilby 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Wilby
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have collected some MOCAPs from Unity Game Engine in the past and they are in FBX format. I'm trying to import these motions into Character Creator 4 but I cannot seem to find a good tutorial about it. Can anyone knowledgeable provide me some info on how to properly do this? I tried dragging the FBX file directly into CC4, then I selected the Humanoid option at the FBX Import window. But I was presented with a huge humanoid skeleton at it's starting animation pose. I tried scaling the whole thing but the bones just got disconnected from each other. What are the proper steps to do this successfully?

I'm still new to CC4 and still trying it out to see if it will work for me. I am using the Trial version.
Edited
2 Years Ago by Wilby
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
In CC4 you can import characters.
iC8 is required to import animations.
I have successfully transferred my 1,200 animations from UE to iClone.

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/yepkoo
https://dev.epicgames.com/community/profile/bxvo/Yepkoo#learning

Edited
2 Years Ago by yepkoo
Wilby
Wilby
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)

yepkoo (10/27/2022)In CC4 you can import characters.

hmm... If that's the case, what are the "Import External Motion" and "Convert External Motion" in CC4? Unsure

yepkoo (10/27/2022)iC8 is required to import animations. I have successfully transferred my 1,200 animations from UE to iClone.

Do you have a tutorial that you can share on that? Maybe it's similar to how it's done for Unity. BigGrin
Edited
2 Years Ago by Wilby
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Yes you are right.
I have never tried to import animations using CC4 before.
More precisely, I never needed to import animations with CC4 Smile
I thought that part would only work for animations exported from CC.
However, I was just able to successfully import an animation from UE.
The Import external motion option worked.
First you need to select the character on the stage, then this function becomes active.
While importing the fbx file, the Unreal Engine option automatically appeared in the options.
However, you still need iClone to edit these animations.
CC4 only works in player mode or exports existing animations as they are.
If you don't need to edit the animations, yes this program seems to do the retargeting of the animations to the CC character.

This seems like a good feature.
You can create many different animations with iClone.
But if you don't need animation customization, CC4 program that can quickly import characters and animations and is more affordable than IClone will be useful for most people.

Edited
2 Years Ago by yepkoo
Wilby
Wilby
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

yepkoo (10/27/2022)
Yes you are right.
I have never tried to import animations using CC4 before.
More precisely, I never needed to import animations with CC4 Smile
I thought that part would only work for animations exported from CC.
However, I was just able to successfully import an animation from UE.
The Import external motion option worked.
First you need to select the character on the stage, then this function becomes active.
While importing the fbx file, the Unreal Engine option automatically appeared in the options.
However, you still need iClone to edit these animations.
CC4 only works in player mode or exports existing animations as they are.
If you don't need to edit the animations, yes this program seems to do the retargeting of the animations to the CC character.

This seems like a good feature.
You can create many different animations with iClone.
But if you don't need animation customization, CC4 program that can quickly import characters and animations and is more affordable than IClone will be useful for most people.

If you have an external FBX motion like for example for a humanoid biped model. How do you make it compatible with a humanoid non-standard character already inside iClone 8 or Character Creator 4? I am being asked to use a compatible 3dxProfile everytime I try to import external motions for some sample characters already available in CC4 and iClone 8. It says if I don't have one, I can create it in Character Creator 4. How do you do this? 
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I don't know if I understood correctly.
If you're asking if it works with any non-standard humanoid characters in the library after importing the animations you mean, it should work.
At least if you look at the tree video I imported, I could easily apply any animation

Wilby
Wilby
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

yepkoo (10/28/2022)
I don't know if I understood correctly. If you're asking if it works with any non-standard humanoid characters in the library after importing the animations you mean, it should work. At least if you look at the tree video I imported, I could easily apply any animation.

That is a nice and useful tutorial! Smile  That answered half of my question. How about if you are also importing an external FBX motion from other sources like the free Everyday Motion Pack in Unity Asset Store and adding it to the character already inside CC4 (i.e. your downloaded Turbisquid Child model)? That is just an example, no need to download and use the actual motions therein. BigGrin  I've seen an old tutorial before but it uses 3DXchange Pipeline. I wanted to know how it is done without using that.
Edited
2 Years Ago by Wilby
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I haven't tested it as I don't use Unity.
However, the animations I imported from UE work perfectly on non-standard characters I imported with CC4 AccuRig.
So I'm pretty sure your animations imported from Unity will work on all characters
Since 3DXchange features are shared between CC4 and iC8, it already automates many operations.
It can automatically import many animations according to the profiles it contains.
I love how the RL team is making such successful developments.
However, I don't like the marketing team showing the same success BigGrin

Edited
2 Years Ago by yepkoo
Wilby
Wilby
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

yepkoo (10/28/2022)
I haven't tested it as I don't use Unity.
However, the animations I imported from UE work perfectly on non-standard characters I imported with CC4 AccuRig.
So I'm pretty sure your animations imported from Unity will work on all characters
Since 3DXchange features are shared between CC4 and iC8, it already automates many operations.
It can automatically import many animations according to the profiles it contains.
I love how the RL team is making such successful developments.
However, I don't like the marketing team showing the same success BigGrin

Since I'm having difficulty finding good retargetting tutorials in CC4 for MOCAPs coming from Unity, I decided to just try out Auto-Rig Pro + Quick Rig and Animation Layers add-ons in Blender. They just offer more support for third-party sources and I think that flexibility is what I need at my current learning phase. For now, I'm planning to just use CC3, Blender, and UE5 Pipeline because I can't also afford to upgrade to iClone 8 & CC4 at the moment anyway. Maybe late next year I will consider taking a look again at those two as they become more mature and grow with additional features.

I appreciate all the assistance! Thank you! Smile

Reading This Topic