Profile Picture

Particle dust hardly shows up without auxiliary light on. Is this normal?

Posted By MaxxPowr 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Particle dust hardly shows up without auxiliary light on. Is this...

Author
MaxxPowr
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
Hi,
Probably dumb newbie question. I have an old attic scene.
Iclone 8. Rendering in Iclone, not Iray.
Followed tutorial on creating Dust in the air. Finally got it to work.
I saved it as a custom particle and when i loaded it into my scene, I could hardly see it until I turned the Aux Light on.
My attic is dark, lit by moonlight in windows and an overhead lighbulb.
After turning the brightness of the texture emitter to max, I can see it in the seen, though very lightly. It may work.
Just trying to understand the lighting. Can it not work in a dark scene?
Thanks!
jeffkirkland
jeffkirkland
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I’m trying to add dust particles to a scene so I was wondering if you could point me to the tutorial you found? 

In terms of the dust particles, in the real world they’re only visible if light shines on them. We get to cheat things a little in 3D with self-illumination, etc but I’d expect you’d need to light them up to be seen properly in the scene. 

Jeff Kirkland | Director • Cinematographer • Storyteller
Hobart • Tasmania • www.one18films.com
SYSTEM: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 | 32gb RAM | RTX 3060 12gb | 1tb SSD System | 6tb HDD Storage
smallWstudio
smallWstudio
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I've found that the "Brightness" function in the Popcorn menu will be the most help in this instance. It's a good idea to set the "Volume" amount so you are covering only the area you really need to cover with particles and not "wasting" them. Crank up the Brightness and you can see where the Particles are.
Also it's a good idea to have some "haze" in the air from Fog or a Volumetric Light effect or both so that the particles will seem more "natural".
And as Jeff mentioned in  the real world when I'm shooting a rain effect or smoky-particles, that I want to show on camera,  I "back-light" 'em so they can be seen. Front-light isn't too effective.
MaxxPowr
MaxxPowr
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Hi!,
here it is https://courses.reallusion.com/home/iclone/plug-in/popcornfx-particle-effects?v=iclone-7-2-tutorial-popcornfx-super-tools-creating-floating-dust-and-god-rays
MaxxPowr
MaxxPowr
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank you so much. I'll play with those settings.

Reading This Topic