Profile Picture

Strange onscreen noise when Importing from CC 4.02 into Unity after using URP importer

Posted By John_BE 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Strange onscreen noise when Importing from CC 4.02 into Unity after...

Author
Idea.png
John_BE
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (105 reputation)Junior Member (105 reputation)Junior Member (105 reputation)Junior Member (105 reputation)Junior Member (105 reputation)Junior Member (105 reputation)Junior Member (105 reputation)Junior Member (105 reputation)Junior Member (105 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hey everyone,

Just looking to see if anyone has run into this same Issue that i'm experiencing.

I was exporting some preliminary hair tests done in CC4.02 and importing them into Unity (2021.3.5f1), after the initial import as was well. However after running the FBX through the CC URP importer inside Unity, I noticed that it's applied a strange visual banding to all of the shadowed areas. The problem only occurs after the importer has run through the FBX so i'm assuming it's something that's being applied to the model by the importer.
Is there anyway to remove this effect and keep the smoother shadow?

You can see the visual noise applied below in the before and after version of the imported model.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5c178d76-a78b-4898-8b2d-317a.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7922de03-ebf3-4dcb-9623-737e.png
Victor.Soupday
This post has been flagged as an answer
Victor.Soupday
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 hours ago
Found out what's causing it. I've been trying to track this down for a while.

It's caused by the SSAO depth + normals, and digging a bit deeper, the Skin Shader depth-normal pass doesn't like reusing the diffuse map sampler in 2021.x+, which causes an error and so this dithering effect in 2021.x and above. The skin shaders can use more than 16 textures and so need to re-use texture samplers, only the depth normal pass seems to be picky about which samplers it can use.

Edit: In fact it looks like all the Amplify shaders also need to be recompiled for URP 12 as it uses a different template.
Edited
2 Years Ago by Victor.Soupday

Reading This Topic