Profile Picture

Stylized Eyelashes

Posted By basphi 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
basphi
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hey everyone!

For over two weeks now I'm unsuccessfully trying to find a way to create stylized Eyelashes for my character. I tried so many different ways to solve this but it's just not working. I would be so thankful for every idea, suggestion or help!

The eyes of my character are big and almond-shaped and I want to have a super simple black line on top of the upper eye. That's the things I tried so far:

1. Deforming the CC4 eyelashes in Zbrush: The shape is too complex and when the character is blinking they don't move correctly and not stay in the right place
2. I painted a black line on the texture which looks okay but looks weird while blinking since the lid mesh is stretched to close the eye
3. I tried to sculpt eyelashes on top of the body mesh in Zbrush but that didn't looked good. I found an IMM eyelash brush which looked good but the problem is that the polycount didn't stay the same so that means I can't update the character in CC, right?
4. I sculpted eyelashes in Zbrush and imported them in CC4 as skinned eyebrows. Kind of worked but they aren't staying in the same place and don't follow the blink.

As you can guess I'm having a super hard time with that and would be super thankful for any help!

Philipp :-)

Instagram
Attachments
4u2ges
This post has been flagged as an answer
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
1. Deforming the CC4 eyelashes in Zbrush: The shape is too complex and when the character is blinking they don't move correctly and not stay in the right place

This is the solution you should probably stay with.

If you perfect the shape of eyelashes in Zbrush, then it is not that hard to correct an eye-blink.
First try auto-correction. Character > Correct Eyeblink from the menu.

If that does not work well, go down to Face Profile Editor and try to correct an Eye_Blink_L morph in Mesh Edit mode.
It's a bit hard to work with eyelashes in CC editor but quite doable. Once you fix left blink morph, use Mirror Expression Data icon above the morph name to replicate it to the right eye.

Finally you may fix the eye-blink morph in ZBrush I suppose (I do not know the workflow as I work in Blender mostly).

basphi
basphi
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)

Hey 4u2ges,

thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate the help!!

Will definitely give that workflow another try. 

Finally you may fix the eye-blink morph in ZBrush I suppose (I do not know the workflow as I work in Blender mostly).

-> That's the one thing I'm not totally sure I understood right. So you mean in the end it could help to edit the lashes morph for when the eyes are closed in Zbrush or Blender? So is it possible to just change the lashes shape for the Eye_Blink 100 morph in Blender/Zbrush?

Again, thank you so much! It's really frustrating sitting here and watching tons of tutorials but not being able to ask someone for advice. Really appreciate getting feedback that it's definitely doable somehow :-)

Philipp

Instagram
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

I noticed a button at the bottom of Face editor panel - GoZ (Expressions).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/884afb2f-7965-4bab-b4a1-0ba8.jpg

So it must be super easy to fix individual morphs in Zbrush then... check Help for that button

basphi
basphi
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Oooh I just recognized that button for the first time!

Thank you so much!!

Instagram
basphi
basphi
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

This was indeed the right way to go! The lashes looking so much better now and I almost have them where I want them to be. There is one thing I'm still struggling with, do you have an idea how I could solve that?

I sculpted the lashes for the closed eye blink how I want them, but when I press "quick update" on Eye_Blink_L 100, the Eye_Blink_R slider goes to 0. When I move the Eye_Blink_L now both Eyelids are moving. If I move both two 100 the right eye is moving even further.

I tried to play around with the mirror button but that didn't help (the eyes aren't 100% symmetrical, so that's something I wouldn't like to use anyways)

Thank you so much for your help!

Philipp

Instagram
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

You have to work with one eyelash (or any other morph for that matter) at a time. 
Slide left, work out left only in Zbrush, push it.
After that if there is symmetry you use that symmetry icon. If not, then you go with right eyelash and do the same.

Edited
2 Years Ago by 4u2ges
basphi
basphi
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Oooh that solution wouldn't have crossed my mind..
Makes sense, thank you so much!!!

Instagram

Reading This Topic