Profile Picture

How to export with blendshapes for beards?

Posted By ImHalfFull 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
ImHalfFull
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello! We're just starting out testing the workflow from Character Creator to Unity, and I've dug through the videos, training, and docs, but haven't found an answer to this: 

When exporting with a beard, the beard has no blendshapes, so when we use a Unity based Lip Sync tool like Salsa or LipSync Pro, only the face moves and the beard stays static. 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a22b8fd7-8f28-44ad-b3d9-749c.jpg

Victor's docs have a section about morph retargeting, but it seems possibly related to retargeting for animations generated in iClone, and not mapping morphs to behave in concert when used in Unity? Also this section of the docs seems to indicate there should be blend shapes on the beard, but in our export there are none, so I feel like I'm missing a setup step in Character creator. 

Advanced Usage — CC/iC Unity Tools 1.3.0 documentation (soupday.github.io)

Thanks for your time and assistance! 
Victor.Soupday
Victor.Soupday
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 47 seconds ago
The blendshapes don't behave in concert, not unless they are all controlled/animated together. That's what the retargettng does, it adds animation tracks for all the meshes with facial expression blendshapes in the characters. I don't know if your lip sync software needs to be told which other meshes need to be animated with the body. But if the beard has no blend shapes then it's not going to work.

The beard should definitely have blend shapes at the very least. Does the beard animate properly in iClone/CC ?

You could try re-applying the facial profile in CC, or re-applying the beard mesh as a hair/beard object with the 'Create Hair/Brows/Beard' in the modify panel. These should rebuild the blend shapes if they are missing or corrupted.
ImHalfFull
ImHalfFull
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)Junior Member (157 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Sorry for the late reply Victor, I'm not sure how I got it in this state, but I was able to reapply the facial profile and get the blendshapes to show up in Unity. Now getting to a performant character... that's the rub Smile 

Andrew

Reading This Topic