Profile Picture

Help with importing Daz .fbx/.obj

Posted By arrrtie 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
arrrtie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello! I'm new to iClone, but I just purchased iClone 8 and Character Creator 4, and am having trouble with importing non-character .obj and .fbx files. Several of the FBX files are failing to import, and when they do, they are without texture. The same happens for .obj files. I've been using the trial version of the software for about a week, but now that I have the full version I was hoping to really get started with building some new scenes, any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? The transformer doesn't seem to work on Daz Props, so I've just been using File > Import.

Hobbyist Animator//Jack Skellington Enthusiast
----
CPU: 3950x | GPU: RTX 3090 | RAM: 64 Gb
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
OBJ files do not contain materials - just the way OBJ files are. 

FBX files only contain the diffuse and opacity materials.  Again, just the way they are.

In either one you will need to add those materials yourself after import.  I have a Python script which does this automatically for Daz items but it only works (for now, at least) in iClone 7 (one of these days I need to port it over.  Perhaps I might even look today at what that involves and if it's not too terrible I'll post it somewhere, most likely on my YouTube channel).  Here's one of my older videos which explains about all of this:

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
2 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
arrrtie
arrrtie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)Junior Member (184 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hey Kelleytoons! Pretty neat that you answered this, I was still debating on buying this software suite and came across your video 'Daz to CC4 is a hot mess', and decided to buy it anyway, haha.
Anyway, good to know on how those file types work. I'm pretty new to animating, I've dabbled in it for about a year in Daz, took the plunge a few days ago with iClone, let's see if I regret it before the return period expires! Cheers!

Hobbyist Animator//Jack Skellington Enthusiast
----
CPU: 3950x | GPU: RTX 3090 | RAM: 64 Gb
Edited
2 Years Ago by arrrtie
Kelleytoons
This post has been flagged as an answer
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I do believe they will fix CC4, but one of the things they need to fix is the import of the materials (it used to work but they actually broke it in a later version of CC3).

The good news is that CC4 will run Python, so it's *possible* I can port my scripts over to both iClone 8 and CC4.  I just have to look into what is involved because for the moment the workaround for me (using iClone 7) is just so easy that it will take a lot of encouragement for me to spend the time to make the change (I really don't know what is involved but I do know that Python scripts for 7 do not work in 8 without changes).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic