Nvidia RTX 3090

Posted By shadybearbklyn 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
shadybearbklyn
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I just upgraded from a 1080ti to a 3090 and I have a scene that was running at 7fps. Even with the upgrade it’s still running slowly. I have seven characters in the scene but even with four of them hidden I can’t get much more out of it.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Check the number of objects in your scene.  More than a dozen will bring ANY computer/GPU to its knees (I've had a 3090 for nearly a year and it still won't even render a scene I have that is only around 4GB... but with hundreds of objects.  Until I combine them into one object).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
shadybearbklyn
shadybearbklyn
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

I’ve seen you post that issue before. Does the number of characters affect it as well? Should I just combine all of the props?
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

I've been reading a lot of comments about upgrading GPU and not gaining much for the real-time render speed and scene handling.
Which makes me believe the GPU computing has very little to do with real-time render (except for the amount of VRAM - so you can feed larger scenes into).
Fastest CPU is what you are looking to get for fastest possible real-time render. Do not forget, a bottleneck could also be created if you slide a full blown 3090 into PC with slower CPU than it requires.
Google it - there are sites which could identify such a bottleneck according to your PC specs.

As oppose, for ray-tracing (Iray) (which rely solely on GPU computing) you'd see much more speed gain upgrading from GTX to the latest RTX for instance.

Edited
2 Years Ago by 4u2ges
sungod
sungod
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

@shadybearbklyn
Kindly mention your CPU and RAM ?
Edited
2 Years Ago by sungod
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

shadybearbklyn (4/5/2022)
I’ve seen you post that issue before. Does the number of characters affect it as well? Should I just combine all of the props?

I haven't actually tested this out - in the past, prior to my 3090, the max characters practical for iClone was about 3-4 (depending on the details).  4 or more was troublesome and after 5 you were just asking for trouble (I had one scene with 6 characters that would crash whenever I tried saving it, although I could render it just fine).  But I have not tested whether the 3090 allows you to work with more.

My gut tells me that it depends on the way the characters are constructed.  If you have, say, 5 "raw" characters (without clothing or accessories) then it *should* be fine as the 3090 will have the memory needed to handle things.  But props is still the biggest problem - more than a dozen can't be handled by ANY GPU (and it has nothing to do with your CPU or other computer characteristics - this problem with props is an iClone issue, not a computer specs issue.  It has been both proven and acknowledged by the devs - if you have a lot of props you will bring ANY system down to its knees, but if you combine them all into one all will then be well, independent of RAM load).

I guess I could experiment and find out - I rarely have more than a couple of main characters and if I'm going to have a lot more they invariably end up as background characters (where I use things like Anima to fake - there you can have hundreds without issues with some care).  But you can also test yourself - if you have a bare scene, devoid of props, just start loading your characters in one by one until it becomes unworkable.  Then you'll know your limit and adjusts your workflow accordingly.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
jeff.davies
jeff.davies
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Last Active: Last Year
I continue to learn from Kellytoons! I had never heard of Anima (axyz-design.com) before! For my crowd scenes I would render short videos of low LOD characters on a transparent background and then play those videos on planes behind the main characters. Here is an example of it https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iwilbkFG70M&t=4m18s.

This technique also works for bottles on shelves, etc.

- Jeff
The Adventures of Capt Sanchez
Cybernautic Studios
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I waited for Alder Lake 19-12900K with an RTX 3090, and my poker room scene still bogs with 6 characters or more than 5 tables. That is with combing the chips in the chip rack.

I look forward to IClone 8 where the preview video they showed mentions non-animated objects can be static and use a lot less memory.

I exported my poker room to Omniverse, and I was able to add a bunch more tables. I can't export my characters for some reason yet, so I can't test that.

12 Tables isn't a problem for Omniverse, so hopefully IClone has some improvements in the near future.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/67a9addf-9aac-4895-afba-af6f.png

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
i believe it's related to poor memory management -  reason -  I see big iclone improvements when I use a memory optimizer that regularly clears 1+ gig of ram when optimizing iclone on the fly.  What I suspect is happening is that iclone bursts an unlimited amount of data - it's a scaling problem so when you get a faster card / system it will flood your ram even harder -  so there really is no such thing as a perfect iclone system  if Iclone sends out massive bursts of data that only become more massive when the gear is upgraded.     I told another user about this who did a test swapping their old vid card and a new one -  the older video card actually had more fps than the newer one - meaning that iclone adapted it's output capacity based on the system power.  - so more powerful system,  larger iclone data burst,  lower fps.

iclone 7 needs to be regulated by some 3rd party approach to stop it from flooding the system buffers.

mr_vidius
mr_vidius
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
planetstardragon (4/5/2022)
i believe it's related to poor memory management -  reason -  I see big iclone improvements when I use a memory optimizer that regularly clears 1+ gig of ram when optimizing iclone on the fly.  What I suspect is happening is that iclone bursts an unlimited amount of data - it's a scaling problem so when you get a faster card / system it will flood your ram even harder -  so there really is no such thing as a perfect iclone system  if Iclone sends out massive bursts of data that only become more massive when the gear is upgraded.     I told another user about this who did a test swapping their old vid card and a new one -  the older video card actually had more fps than the newer one - meaning that iclone adapted it's output capacity based on the system power.  - so more powerful system,  larger iclone data burst,  lower fps.

iclone 7 needs to be regulated by some 3rd party approach to stop it from flooding the system buffers.

interesting.. very interesting. may i ask what memory optimizer you use? or is there one you can recommend? 

vidius

Reading This Topic