Exploding Hair in UE 4.27

Posted By MTMorrow_ 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem.png
MTMorrow_
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
The Hair of my character "explodes" in UE 4.27 when I attempt to render it in Movie Render Que.
I'm trying to do some initial animation tests for an upcoming project and thought I ironed everything out until I finally hit render, then new problems arise; my hair explodes.
My workflow- Create a character in CC3, send to iClone, animate in iClone. Export an FBX file from iClone using the recommended export settings for iClone to UE workflow.
Everything seems to animate fine in UE sequencer but when I hit export in MRQ, the hair of my character explodes.

Yes, I have all of the export licences for all items.
Yes, I'm using recommended export and import FBX from Reallustion Tutorial videos.
I have also tried exporting FBX from CC3 to unreal, exporting FBX from iClone (for the animation data)  and linking to the existing skeleton.
But none of these approaches resolves the issue.

I'm sure it's a physics tab in Unreal I didn't click or something like that, so any insight would be super helpful.
Seems like this kinda thing should be part of the AutoSetUp.
Thanks 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/47d7479f-1738-4958-96e7-f782.png
Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
https://forum.reallusion.com/509187/Export-hair-to-UE4-issue
4413Media
4413Media
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Disregard the post but make sure the physics is properly set and anti aliasing settings are correct.

iClone Certified Director and makes miserable Westerns.
Edited
2 Years Ago by 4413Media
MTMorrow_
MTMorrow_
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)

Thank you both for the replies.
AutoSetUp is great, but can someone please put together a definitive "To-Do list" we need to do on top of the auto setup?
Consistently updated pipeline-specific workflows in the manuals would be most appreciated.

If anyone else reading this agrees, please weigh in.

Edited
2 Years Ago by MTMorrow_
4413Media
4413Media
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

MTMorrow_ (3/30/2022)
Thank you both for the replies.
AutoSetUp is great, but can someone please put together a definitive "To-Do list" we need to do on top of the auto setup?
Consistently updated pipeline-specific workflows in the manuals would be most appreciated.

If anyone else reading this agrees, please weigh in.

I offered a course for importing a character into the Unreal Engine properly, but nobody was interested I’m afraid. So I discarded the idea. A manual would work, but one time I made a video explaining the process step by step… it was over a few hours long. It might be a lengthy article.

I might open up meetings to get an insight on how I bring in characters and work with the unreal engine, but I don’t know how it will work out.

Edited
2 Years Ago by 4413Media
MTMorrow_
MTMorrow_
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

@4413Media Thank you for the insights.
What do you recommend as best practices for
1-Importing characters from iClone to Unreal - FBX, or Using Linvelink Transfer?
2-Best Practices for transferring animation from iClone to Unreal, FBX or Livelink?
Appreciate your thoughts, I would love to check out your step-by-step video.

Edited
2 Years Ago by MTMorrow_
4413Media
4413Media
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Unless I'm in a rush, 99% of the time is FBX import.

I'll have to make a new video covering a better job with the hair physics, but the basics are there. This was one of those files where there was no data to mess with. 

Edited
2 Years Ago by 4413Media
MTMorrow_
MTMorrow_
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks 4431,
Your video was quite informative but did not help solve my problem.
I'm using a Smarthair asset. I'm having a tough time finding useful information on how to get this to work properly in Unreal 427.
I see nothing in the manuals and the support videos I've found don't address the physics issue.

Sigh.
4413Media
4413Media
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

You’ll have to create the soft cloth settings for your character’s hair. It never usually works right initially. You will have to adjust the self collision primarily and create a mask. It takes some trial and error.

The one in the video… yeah no physics settings at all with that hairstyle . I’ll have to make a video on fixing hair for characters with the soft cloth setting built in.

Edited
2 Years Ago by 4413Media
MTMorrow_
MTMorrow_
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks 4413,
I've set the hair physics in iClone in the - modify window/physics tab - hair presets.
Do you recommend using the cloth presets instead? I'll give it a whirl and send to 4.27

Reading This Topic