Posted By Apollonius 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Last-ditch, desperate attempt to get 3DX working on my PC

Author
Apollonius
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I've literally been trying for years at this point. I've opened 3 separate service tickets about it, which were all marked "solved", although the problem persists. In that time, the software has been updated multiple times. Each time I install it, I get the same directx error when I try to run it. I can still use the functions that you can only use if you have 3DX installed like morph creation/animation, but I have *NEVER* been able to rig a mesh, export a morph, easily import an obj as a prop, etc.

I have screamed "PLEASE PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY" because I need to do these things so badly, and I've already invested nearly $1,200 on the software at this point.

Apparently they don't need my money, because 4 years later they still can't help me solve this seemingly simple directx error. I should already be able to do what I need to do for the price I paid, period.

...And now I find that they are FINALLY just integrating 3DX into the main program, but that won't help me unless I invest another grand at least, to buy new versions of everything. They're not going to do it for CC3/iClone7.

Not only that, but they are discontinuing 3DX, so if I want to try and get it up and running finally, I'd better try and do it now.

Here is the error I'm getting:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/06b2b76e-b75d-4b5b-bb1f-51ff.jpg

So... is there anybody who can help me solve this?
I have un-installed and re-installed both 3DX and directx about a million times, and it doesn't fix anything. I still get the exact same error. I have updated everything. I am not having issues with any other game, media playback, or any other graphics-related directx errors - just 3DX.
To say that this issue is a thorn in my side at this point is an understatement, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
have you tried cleaning your registry with https://www.ccleaner.com/ 

Disclaimer -  I don't know your system,  I've never heard of issues with this software but all the same cleaning a registry is a risk, so in good conscience I say use at your own risk.

if you do -  then the free version should be enough  -  in some cases uninstalling some software is not enough because they leave files in the registry after uninstallation - so reinstalling will just have errors again until the rogue registry entries are removed.  First uninstall the problem software,   then in cc do a general cleaning of garbage files from your system,  then click on the registry tab and let the software scan your system for left over unused garbage registry entries.  Not saying this is your case,  but this is one aspect that you didn't seem to mention.   Good luck! 

Ps - don't do it with the software installed,  else the problem files could be ignored by ccleaner -  it has to be removed so ccleaner can see what was left behind.

Edited
2 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Apollonius
Apollonius
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Thank you very much for the response!
Sadly I already tried a registry clean and it didn't work, but I appreciate the advice all the same. Smile
I honestly am out of ideas at this point. I have no idea why it's happening, and it frustrates me to no end.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
So if you've been trying for years I assume you first started on, what Windows 8?  Or are you an early adopter and were already on Win 10?

If the former then what happened when you updated to Win 10?  You STILL had that issue?  And have you tried updating to Win 11?

My gut tells me this is an OS problem and that somehow you need to reinstall your OS (or use a different machine).  Now - I've spent 30+ years in IT but I retired a while ago and things have definitely passed me by so I can't say for sure.  But all of this sure smells like a core OS problem that can only be solved with a completely new OS (either upgrade or reformat your machine).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Apollonius
Apollonius
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons (3/14/2022)
So if you've been trying for years I assume you first started on, what Windows 8?  Or are you an early adopter and were already on Win 10?

If the former then what happened when you updated to Win 10?  You STILL had that issue?  And have you tried updating to Win 11?

My gut tells me this is an OS problem and that somehow you need to reinstall your OS (or use a different machine).  Now - I've spent 30+ years in IT but I retired a while ago and things have definitely passed me by so I can't say for sure.  But all of this sure smells like a core OS problem that can only be solved with a completely new OS (either upgrade or reformat your machine).

Windows 10 has been available for over 6 years, and I've had it for 5, so I'm not sure why you would assume that. No early access was necessary.
In any case I have already reformatted my machine, restoring back to factory, and it didn't fix the issue, but thank you very much for your suggestion!

Edited
2 Years Ago by Apollonius
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
what anti virus are you using ?   RL Products are known for false flags because of how they interact and maybe your antivirus blocked it ?

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
You should install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of this C++ runtime from Microsoft:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Two things to try:
Set your display scaling in the Windows Display settings panel to 100%. That insures the window will not be larger than the display because of the scaling.
You can also try running 3DXchange maximized. See here for instructions to run an application maximized.
Apollonius
Apollonius
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank you to Planetstardragon and Rampa for the new suggestions!
I am working currently, but will try these things when I'm done!
Edited
Apollonius
Apollonius
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Rampa (3/14/2022)
You should install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of this C++ runtime from Microsoft:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Two things to try:
Set your display scaling in the Windows Display settings panel to 100%. That insures the window will not be larger than the display because of the scaling.
You can also try running 3DXchange maximized. See here for instructions to run an application maximized.

I now remember doing all of these things already when you tried to help me before, but I went ahead and tried them again anyway. I chose "Repair" in the installation of the runtimes, since I already had them installed.
My display was already set to 100%.
I already had 3DX set to open maximized. I'm not sure if it's actually doing that or not, because it's still not opening at all.
I turned off windows defender while I uninstalled and re-installed 3DX.
NONE of those things worked.

What in the world could be causing this??

I noticed that those runtimes are only supported for windows 8 and before. There are updates here. Should I try to install those, or would they even help? I'm going to wait until I've heard back from you on this, there's a lot there, and I'm not even sure what I would need.
Edited
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
You said you reformatted your drive and loaded OS fresh. Is this Home or Pro edition? What about your user account? Have you transferred your profile/settings over from old installation?
Try to create some account fresh, login with it and try running 3DX. Also try running app as an Administrator.
About C++ runtime, as far as I remember they are getting installed as you install RL apps, but never hurts to reinstall.
This is how my runtime installs look like (I do not remember which particular version is required by RL).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1b7328f3-cffe-4485-9d38-ada2.jpg

Try running Check Disk.
Try to see what is written about this error in the Application Events Log.

Reading This Topic