Profile Picture

Physics Constraints - Animating Universal Joints (Drivershaft, Cardan Joint)

Posted By LFA 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Physics Constraints - Animating Universal Joints (Drivershaft, Cardan...

Author
LFA
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi, everyone,
Does anybody have figured out how to use physics constraints (or physics toolbox) to animate a universal joint for mechanical transmission?
What is a UNIVERSAL JOINT - Cardan or Constant-velocity Joint? - YouTube

I have two alternatives to animate it without physics, but that is not what I am looking for. I also attempted to use constraints (hinge, point to point, generic etc.) but the results are not working so far.

I would appreciate if anyone can point me at the right workflow/tutorial.

Thank you and have a productive week ahead.
Luciano
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
I found I got the best results with a central object between my two shafts that had the hinges on it. Parented one hinge to the drive shaft and the other to the follow shaft. You do need something constraining the follow shaft, just like in real life. I just a added an infinite plane to the scene for it fall against. Then set it's damping pretty high. You can download and examine my project here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tp1uRNe3x0bRDJA7G9DS_5ATIZpIjq3k/view?usp=sharing
LFA
LFA
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)

Hi,
Thank you very much for sharing. I'll check it out later today and let you know my results.
I appreciate your help.

Best regards
Luciano
LFA
LFA
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi Rampa,

It works! Thank you very much for your help. I examined your project and understood what was missing. I also added two hinges to lock both side at position, used soft limit and recorded in "by frame" mode.
Much appreciated, now I can proceed with my vehicle modeling, and add this type of joint to the final design.
Best regards,
Luciano
Edited
2 Years Ago by LFA
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
LFA (3/7/2022)
Hi Rama,

It works! Thank you very much for your help. I examined your project and understood what was missing. I also added two hinges to lock both side at position, used soft limit and recorded in "by frame" mode.
Much appreciated, now I can proceed with my vehicle modeling, and add this type of joint to the final design.
Best regards,
Luciano

Awesome! Smile

That is looking pretty cool with a more realistic construction.
LFA
LFA
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi Rampa,

Here is my project file.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BpCS6crTcb7NKy3aThkDh0rXtqHlAwD9/view?usp=sharing

Thank you again for the great help.

Best regards
Luciano

Reading This Topic