Profile Picture

How to re-install iClone content after re-installing iClone?

Posted By prodos 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

How to re-install iClone content after re-installing iClone?

Author
prodos
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Greetings,

I just re-installed iClone but now all my purchased content is missing, as shown in the screenshot below.

I thought that all I had to, to re-install the content was to refresh the Smart Gallery and all my content would appear with a little arrow on it to re-install.
I tried this but it hasn't made any difference.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Best Wishes,
Prodos
Melbourne, Australia

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d46bad6e-ff1b-4cd2-9009-cadb.jpg
wires
wires
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
When you uninstalled iClone did you also uninstall all of your content? Normally purchased content does not get removed when doing an uninstall. The only items that would be removed are those contained in what was once called "Bonus Resource Pack" - now listed in the SG as "Free Resource". If you reinstalled iClone using the same path as your previous installation then just about everything should still be there. You can update the SG list by selecting "Sync Installed Assets" from the drop down list under the small arrow. You can also open the Smart Gallery and select "Not Installed" from the drop down list and this should show anything missing:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e16e2b0c-06fd-4d8a-be19-6887.png

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Edited
3 Years Ago by wires
prodos
prodos
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Update:

I'm now successfully re-installing all my purchased content.

What threw me off was that:

After re-installing iClone (to fix some other issue) Smart Gallery was not detecting my purchased content.
When I went to my "orders" page and clicked on "Install.RLD" I was presented with two options.

As shown in the screenshot below, one of those options was:
A: SMART GALLERY ... which referred to iClone 7

The other option was:
B: ORIGINAL DOWNLOAD (whatever that means) ... which referred to iClone 6

It turns out that option "B" does also work for iClone 7.
I tried it and it works.

Why option "A" doesn't work, I don't know.
I did try repeatedly clicking the refresh/sync button in my Smart Gallery, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ae9cc17c-356b-4f1a-9098-913e.jpg

iClone functions, processes, and instructions are a unique blend of
magnificent & ridiculous, clear & confusing, intuitive & dumb-as-a-door-knob.

Smile

Best Wishes,
PRODOS
Melbourne, Australia
prodos
prodos
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Greetings.
(re-posting this resolution since I can't see the post I just put through.)

An update ...

I am now successfully re-installing my purchased content.

Smart Gallery was not able to detect it after my recent re-installation of iClone.

But I discovered I was able to simply use method "B" from my orders page, as shown in the screenshot below:
I was thrown off by the fact that method "B" -- the way it's described -- seems to apply to iClone 6.
What I found was that it DOES also work for iClone 7.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/36928d8b-900c-431c-98e6-42ba.jpg

I hope the above might be helpful for anyone else who runs into the same sort of issue.

Smile
Best Wishes,
PRODOS
prodos
prodos
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Greetings "wired"/Gerry,

You wrote:

When you uninstalled iClone did you also uninstall all of your content? Normally purchased content does not get removed when doing an uninstall. The only items that would be removed are those contained in what was once called "Bonus Resource Pack" - now listed in the SG as "Free Resource". If you reinstalled iClone using the same path as your previous installation then just about everything should still be there. You can update the SG list by selecting "Sync Installed Assets" from the drop down list under the small arrow. You can also open the Smart Gallery and select "Not Installed" from the drop down list and this should show anything missing:

You are correct.

I deleted all content after uninstalling iClone & before re-installing iClone again
The reason I did that was that I was because some of the tools stopped working the last time I re-installed iClone AND had changed the file path.
So I again uninstalled iClone, then removed the folder & content of the old file path & then decided I might as well also remove everything from the new, custom file path folder.

I thought that would be a good idea because what I found was that iClone was creating shortcuts to some content. I wish I'd taken a screenshot to show you.
It was creating shortcuts in the new file path folder that pointed to the old file path folder. Very confusing.

Thanks for the screenshot and instructions on trying to get things installed using the Smart Gallery.
I tried everything you suggested but it didn't seem to work, unfortunately.
I'm now spending the evening re-installing all my iClone content using the old-fashioned method from within my "orders" page -- rather than using the Smart Gallery.
I was a bit put off at first, because when I start the process of downloading content, I got this pop-up (screenshot below) which seems say:

Use the Smart Gallery --  method "A" for iClone 7,
But use method "B" ... "Original Download" (whatever that means) ... for anything earlier.

In fact -- as probably every iClone user on the planet except me knows -- the old-fashioned method "B", also works for iClone 7.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/da529346-c4c8-4435-ab9e-fc03.jpg
Thanks very much for offering your observations and thoughts.

Smile

Best Wishes,
PRODOS
Melbourne, Australia
Alvin (RL)
Alvin (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi prodos,
Sorry for the late reply.
In your situation, because you deleted all content through "File Explorer" after "uninstalling iClone", Smart Gallery did not record this process, so it still stays in the state that you have Content installed.
Therefore, when you reinstall iClone, Smart Gallery will show that you have installed Content, but in fact, you have deleted them, that is why if you open the pack and you will find that all the files are lost.
This is an explanation about your first question.

Regarding the second question : "Why option "A" doesn't work?"
Because Smart Gallery stays in the state that you have installed Content, in order to prevent you from repeating the installation, it will be no response when you click "option A".

In order to solve this problem, please remove the packs of those missing files from the Smart Gallery first, and then you can re-download them through Smart Gallery or "Option A" on the website.

Sorry to make you confused, we will do our best to improve Smart Gallery. 

Best Regards,
Alvin
Edited
3 Years Ago by Alvin (RL)
prodos
prodos
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Greetings Alvin,

Thanks for that very clear explanations of what happened with my iClone re-installation & how this affected the behaviour of Smart Gallery!

Now I understand the logic behind it & it makes sense!

... we will do our best to improve Smart Gallery

In the process of trying to fix this issue, I've been very fortunate to receive advice and assistance from some very experienced iClone users -- some of them through private emails.
One of the things they ALL had in common was that, in their personal use of iClone, they never used Smart Gallery and felt quite negative about it and advised me to avoid using it.

From what you've now explained -- and I appreciate it -- it seems to me that the Smart Gallery idea is quite valuable and that, with a bit of feedback from experienced users (who are all a lot smarter than me) I'm sure Reallusion's brilliant technical people & developers should be able to solve most of its drawbacks.

The problem is that, once experienced users "give up" on using a tool such as Smart Gallery, Reallusion no longer gets any feedback from them.
Since Smart Gallery is such a prominent feature of iClone, it would, in my humble view, be good business to improve its functions enough to "win back" those experienced iClone users.

Thanks again for your helpful notes.

Smile

Best Wishes,
Prodos
Melbourne, Australia

Reading This Topic