Profile Picture

How do you create expressive, talking *Cyborg Avatars*?

Posted By sonic7 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sonic7
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

Good find Mike - Dave Abbott's gear looks impressive - his kits are comprehensive with multiple 'looks' possible. I like his GYN-01 model, it ticks a lot of boxes. I'm *trying* to figure out how his model would pose with arms *stretched forward*, since the shoulder design has me baffled. I notice that all the demo shots only ever display the shoulders postured well back. I'll definately look into this GYN-01 - it shows promise...

Edit: - Just noticed - this is a Geoshell?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d7041d86-4efd-4d8a-94bc-8bef.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
3 Years Ago by sonic7
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
They are just going to stretch - remember, these are just "painted" on the figure (so no mechanicals).

I'll see if I can make some images for you tomorrow (need to get to bed right now :>Wink.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.1K reputation)

Cheers Mike - have a good night ..........  Smile
Edit: Actually being a Geoshell will open up a lot of extra 'possibilities'.
His new L4N4 HD Morph for Genesis 8 Females looks even *better*. Link
But what about *male* versions? It appears Dave Abbott, 
only creates *female* cyborgs. - Could I dial in a convincing *male* look using CC3?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/40622780-1322-4744-93c7-84c9.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
3 Years Ago by sonic7
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)

That's too new for me to have just yet (usually I wait at least three months after something is released, so I can get it on sale).  But it looks nice.

Just remember that Geo-morphs *do* have some issues.  You can't, for example, have any part of the face covered with them or you won't get those expressions you want.  You also have to align the figure carefully to them to begin with (using my bodysuit technique will avoid finger problems, though).  Actually deleting the skin in places around the head may be difficult without holes.  And, finally, if there are multiple geo-shells (as Dave does have in a lot of his work) you will need to be careful about poke through and manage them (remember they will be "clothing" - just very, very tight clothing).

It's also easy to get confused about what is and isn't a geo-morph and what portion can be used directly on an avatar.  Here's another example - I mentioned earlier you can't have the geo-morph cover the face and that's true except that you *can* use part (or all) of the texture by simply replacing the map with the geo-morph map (assuming the geo-morph map is UVed in the same way as the figure, which is not always the case.  So, a further complication).  To make that clearer - with these sorts of androids the idea is to both create textures that look like a "robot" as well as morphs that help sell the illusion.  Morphs on the avatar work great with textures on the avatar, but if the geo-shell itself is constructed in such a way as to have those pistons and other things (and then hide the skin so you only see the shell) then you can't use it on the face where you need it to deform properly.  You can do this in Daz since the geo-shell can share the same bones that manipulate it, but not in iClone.

Hopefully I've explained this well enough.  Whatever you end up doing I'll be glad to help with assuming I have it, or at least advise you if I do not.  And as for female v. male - that's just the way most of the devs both in Daz as well as around the web roll.  The vast preponderance of clothing and avatars is female because the people creating it are (sorry to stereotype but it's true) fanboyz living in their parents basement.  I learned early on to treasure any stuff I could get from Daz that was designed for a male, because it's few and far between.  I'm not so sure you can take a female and use the iClone morphs to change it to a male, not a *real* male, but you could most likely make it a young boy, perhaps (even that might be tough).  

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Wow - (you're an *early riser*!!) - thanks Mike for such an in depth summation. I think I understand most of what you're saying. I guess I'll just dive in and give one of Dave's Cyborgs a test drive - worst case scenario is it'll become an 'extra' if it doesn't work as planned. Many thanks Mike - I'll keep things posted...

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I'm *struggling* with this ...
I ended up purchasing Dave Abbott's GYN-01 Cyborg.
After loading it into DAZ, I get to see the 'sculpting' that's been applied.
I think this is what Mike meant about "morphs that sell the illusion", as it gives 'depth'. (better than adding textures onto a 'plain' Genesis 8 surface).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d67669fb-dbf1-4de4-b604-a81c.png

But *how* do I get this 'etched' version of Gen8 female into CC3? - It's a 'shell'or 'suit' afterall - like clothing?
If I can get it into CC3, the rest is straight forward - just remapping the textures of the suit to be in place of the original 'skin' textures.
Problem is *if* I export the shells from DAZ along with the Gen8 base, I get the NON ALIGNED problem which is probably a pain to fix.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cf653c2c-c290-401d-a576-3d61.png

As far as I know, the easiest way to avoid this is to export only the Genesis Base female and then remap the suit textures in place of the skin textures. But that would result in a very 'flat' look, since there would no longer be the 'depth' created (which emulates the cyborg's metal 'panels').

I'm wondering whether there's something I've missed - or some other clever approach to this?

Edited
3 Years Ago by sonic7
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

No, as I said, you will need to align the avatar but it's not horrible.

For father's day I had WAY too much alcohol (not that I need much excuse :>Wink so I can't right now, but if you wait a bit after I nap and wake up I'll do a tutorial on the process (with GYN01).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Okay, sober (mostly) but that model is a MESS (you should have asked me first).

I'm not even sure how all the various shells are supposed to line up or be used, but the only way you can really use this is to substitute the maps for the base body.  It won't be great, but it's the best you can do.

However, I'm pretty sure somewhere in this thread I suggested the best way to do this was to combine two models - a "regular" robot and a human, and just mask out the parts you don't need for each.  Here is what I'm talking about (I just used an Android from Daz and a regular CC3 avatar.  I masked the CC3 avatar out and took parts of the android and made them transparent until it looked correct.  As long as the models are the same size, and they are here, and you apply the same motions to them, as I did here, they will match up perfectly and you can use Acculips for the avatar).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

One more (quick) test showing a male version.

This one isn't as successful because the robot itself (the SED10) isn't rigged particularly well, so the pistons don't move accordingly (if I HAD to use this I'd delete them).  But it at least shows you can easily (and quickly) do this with a male version as well.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (16.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Yep you can rig anything with the character creator Wink
Import the robot-mesh as accessory then autoweight like cloth.

Those robotparts below come from Daz

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/941fe072-cc34-4ded-bd98-a089.jpg

Edited
3 Years Ago by mtakerkart

Reading This Topic