Path between trees :)

Posted By Amper Sand 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Amper Sand
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Does anybody have an idea about a (relative) confortable way to create a path between trees? Smile Smile
The main problem to me is the fact that path points got hidden by trees' leafs and, unlike props, I cannot preview trees as wireframe or X-ray, neither to adjust opacity. I tried to do it "from below", but quite the same nightmare.
I was thinking to first create the path and only after that to plant the trees, but would be the same problem if/when I will have to adjust the path later, so I would be back to "square one" with my problem.
Thanks!

gordryd
gordryd
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
You could try scaling the trees down while you create the path.  Then scale back up after the path is complete?

Reallusion Certified Director / Reallusion Best Visual Award / Reallusion Certified Content Developer
See all the G-Tools Plug-Ins available for iClone here: G-Tools Plug-Ins

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Look up from the bottom when making your path. If the trees are on a terrain, you probably can hide the terrain.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2d0f28b6-00b1-4f03-8cf1-c0df.jpg
mark
mark
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I'll assume you are using the ALT-RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON  combo to move around the screen?

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

Amper Sand
Amper Sand
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thank you all for help - I just made few tries Smile

Eventually, I think the most convenient approach was a combination between part of @Rampa's advice (hide the terrain) plus hiding/showing groups of trees around the place where you want to set a new point of the path. I cannot say I was doing it at a light speed, but definitely not at a snail pace either. Got a decent result, to be honest, once I will have it a bit polished I will show you.

@gordryd I thought initially your idea is brillliant in its simplicity - and it would be if iClone would allow directional scaling for trees: I mean, shrink them vertically, set the path points, then scale the trees back. Well, it seems trees can be scaled ONLY on all three direction simultaneously, thus the whole "forest" shrinks or grows accordingly (X-Y)

@mark yes, I'm using also the Alt+RightMouse combination, but the problem for me was not navigation, but visibility - path points are really hiding behind leaves, branches, bushes and trunks Smile))

Edited
3 Years Ago by ampertox
mark
mark
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Maybe put a dummy/placeholder object at the tree positions to give you an idea where the trees are?

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

Reading This Topic