IC 7.9 New Feature: Alembic Importer

Posted By Eric C (RL) 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Eric C (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Alembic Import

Here's the answer for why we should importing alembic files to the iClone! 

Introduction
Two new Alembic import options for iC7.9: Import Alembic Prop with Vertex Animation and Apply Alembic Vertex Animation.

Selecting some samples from our power users to demonstrate how you can use Alembic props in iClone.
  • IC7.9 - Alembic - (Test - 02) by Bassline 303

• First Test Blender Ocean Alembic Import Iclone by rosuckmedia
(Note):
1 .Export abc form Maya and drag the abc file into the view-port to create a prop in iC7.9.
If the abc file does not contain UV information then the created prop will, likewise, have no UV data.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d51884e6-e993-4b10-8d86-71a3.gif

Load Alembic Vertex Animation form file, or load abc Animation one at a time.

Import Vertex Animation by file:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0a1bb379-cdb6-4a58-b89e-1cd4.gif

Import Vertex Animation by folder:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/37fe1e4b-9780-4bd4-aaed-6e56.gif

Users can select check this box and save all the abc meshes into one file, or separated files.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9606ada1-ebb6-4e40-83c9-0eda.jpg

Selecting save each meshes as separate file.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/81be8fc1-1dd7-4faa-ab15-5fbe.gif

Not selecting save each meshes as separate file.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6a20265d-cbc0-4799-8b62-4861.gif

Note: Unreal Engine only supports one file one mesh Alembic files!

Alembic: Limitation
The internal structure of the abc files can not be edited, therefore any inconsistency between the Alembic Vertex Animation and the target mesh will result in a failure to load and apply the vertex animation.

Store and remove vertex animation
Find out more by checking the webpage

Edited
3 Years Ago by Eric C (RL)
Warped Reality VFX
Warped Reality VFX
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Hello, I have 3DXChange pro due I need the pipeline version to import alembic files, I also CC3 Pipeline I don't know if that imports alembic files and I could go that route?

Warped Reality VFX.
Angel Alonso
Angel Alonso
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Months Ago
Alembic yes!

Eric C (RL)
Eric C (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
ATOOM (3/24/2021)
Alembic yes!

(HI FIVE)
depredor2018
depredor2018
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Months Ago
I like how they gave us a screenshot of a menu option without telling us how to get to that menu or where it is. I went through every single menu on the top bar and didn't see any mention of a vertex animation
depredor2018
depredor2018
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)Veteran Member (998 reputation)

I like how they gave us a screenshot of a menu option without telling us how to get to that menu or where it is. I went through every single menu on the top bar and didn't see any mention of a vertex animation.
Never mind I noticed they show how to get too it after they tell you to do it and show you an obscure photo with no indication as to how to get too it lol.
Edited
3 Years Ago by depredor2018
depredor2018
depredor2018
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

I tried this and after spending a lot of time trying different methods everytime I imported my Alembic into my scene it was out of sync with the character animation I mapped it for. The scale was also slightly off. Would be nice if y'all were able to make this simpler.
Garry_Seven_of_one
Garry_Seven_of_one
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Months Ago
depredor2018 (7/22/2021)
I tried this and after spending a lot of time trying different methods everytime I imported my Alembic into my scene it was out of sync with the character animation I mapped it for. The scale was also slightly off. Would be nice if y'all were able to make this simpler.

I have the same problem. It a frame or two off position in the beginning compared to the iclone animation. I exported the anim as fbx instead to MD and it comes back ok. Not as practicle though.

Garry, Clearstream, Seven_of_one
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f8c0246a-f887-417d-9f3c-b22c.png
My Pinterests
mila_647012
mila_647012
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (258 reputation)Senior Member (258 reputation)Senior Member (258 reputation)Senior Member (258 reputation)Senior Member (258 reputation)Senior Member (258 reputation)Senior Member (258 reputation)Senior Member (258 reputation)Senior Member (258 reputation)

I have a problem with this workflow between MD11 and IC8: the outfit gets imported without the vertex animation
I might be missing some steps or settings
Can anyone post a tutorial with the updated settings?
Wilby
Wilby
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Kevin L (3/24/2021)
Hello, I have 3DXChange pro due I need the pipeline version to import alembic files, I also CC3 Pipeline I don't know if that imports alembic files and I could go that route?

Late reply. Importing Alembic (.abc) files in iClone 7 is supported even without 3DXchange. But NOT exporting. CC3 Pipeline does NOT support Alembic (.abc) format.
In addition, to successfully export Smart Hair animations to Blender or other third-party tools, I think you will need to export to Alembic (.abc) format. 

Edited
2 Years Ago by Wilby

Reading This Topic