Profile Picture

Character face looks different in IClone after exporting from Character Creator

Posted By mouz3d 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Character face looks different in IClone after exporting from...

Author
mouz3d
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi,

Have been slowly learning IClone/Character Creator in my extra time, for a while now.
Recently made a character in Character Creator (v3.32)...notice the Character's face looks slightly but noticeably different after exporting from Character Creator to IClone7.
Seems like the "exact" or "precise" facial features generated in Character Creator with the "Headshot" plug-in in "pro mode" are somehow lost during the export/import process to IClone...the character is easily recognizable to anyone who knows me, if they see it open in CC. After export to IClone7 however, looks like a different person.
See screenshots.
Sorry for what might be an obvious question and answer. I've searched the forums for a few days for existing answers before asking. Can't find it. A bit of patience please, I'm new to all of this. Great software though.......really amazing stuff.
Then I also need to figure out how to edit the green on the side of my head. Going through docs trying to find that answer too. Have tried importing my face image in Character Creator with "auto" mode, the end result doesn't look like me. So far only in pro mode does it look like me but then the similarity is lost after exporting to IClone 7.

Below: Character in Character Creator (created with CC v. 3.32, headshot plugin in pro mode)
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/45997829-6eca-4196-b48d-922d.png

Character after importing from Character Creator (v 3.32) to IClone (v. 7.83)https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2fb7a411-7047-4467-8607-994c.png
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
This is almost surely caused by both lighting and the camera used -- a character in CC3 has a certain lighting and camera setup that is not duplicated in iClone.

Try this -- save your CC3 project (call it "test.ccProject") and then rename the extension to "iProject".  (Windows will complain -- it always does).  Now open up that project in iClone.  It should look the same (it has to look the same -- if it does not there is something wrong with your system).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
mouz3d
mouz3d
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)

Thanks! Will give it a try right now.
mouz3d
mouz3d
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

ok that worked, but if I save the character in iClone, then load it for a new project, it goes back to looking like the "modified character" above, again.

Also, the character when i load it in iclone with the "renaming" method you point out here, won't respond to any animations...what am I missing?

boy do I feel like a newbie. Ugh... sorry again for the dumb questions.
mouz3d
mouz3d
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

never mind, I figured it out. You were absolutely right that it was the lighting. I simply added the "auxiliary light" in iClone and all of a sudden the imported character looked the same as in Character Creator.

And I was absolutely right for calling myself a dummy about this question. lol

Thanks again!!

Edited
3 Years Ago by platinum50
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
That's okay - figuring out stuff yourself is the best, as you will never forget it (well, until you get as old as I am.  Then you forget just about everything).

It's a good idea to try and get a handle on lighting as soon as you can.  It makes all the difference in the world -- master the lighting in iClone and you'll be on your way to being a master (and it's not hard -- just make sure you understand GI, shadow lights, and fill and you'll have it in no time).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic