CC3 - Rcover data after crash

Posted By TTneedsHelp 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem.png
TTneedsHelp
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Kind of an emergency here:
I'm the kind of person who ALWAYS saves every minute, BUT I had to learn the hard way that CC3's 'save'-function DOES NOT WORK CONSISTENTLY. Purchased the software yesterday, and had my first crash (something about inaccessible data, but that's not the issue right now) after around ten hours of usage today. Unfortunately, I have lost all progress from the last six hours, which is a HUGE bummer.
My question is: How do I restore the data from the temp folder? I have made a copy of its contents, but can't seem to find an option inside CC and neither are there any helpful threads online. PLEASE HELP, I really do not want to end up refunding my purchase - Although I have been enjoying everything so far, I won't continue using unreliable software where I can't even restore after inevitable crashes.

EDIT: I'm super clumsy and accidentally clicked away the "restore project from temp folder" dialog when I restarted after the crash. Apparently that dialog only appears once Sad
Edited
4 Years Ago by TTneedsHelp
kmitchell.12catblackstudio...
kmitchell.12catblackstudio...
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Also when starting a new character make sure you hit Save As to start a new save file. I've had this issue with the file nor saving because the new file was not a real place on my drive yet. But once you save as and then use save it will indeed save to the location. 
r78zj99
r78zj99
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
what kmitchell.12catblackstudio... has said is true most of the time

I have test my own version by forcing a crash (today)

you should have this pop up when restarting again, see picture.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8442ccde-8834-4f0d-8820-4c6c.jpg

the most important step is to 'ok' it
other wise all is lost!

it give you the chance  to rename the file

if all is to your liking 

now the next important step

come out of the programme

clean up your system on your machine

reboot it again

recall your work again

it should be 'ok' this time round

say after every 10 mins do a save
check this by doing an tab to tab
on your file explorer

happy designing

from Alan

TTneedsHelp
TTneedsHelp
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)New Member (74 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
@r78zj99
Thanks for the advice, I wish I had known about this before I reopened CC after the crash.
Since I hit "Cancel" the first time after the crash, all temporary data has been overridden/lost (as you said) before I made the backup unfortunately, meaning that I am unable to restore my progress. I have also tested crashing it by force yesterday and reloading my backups from the AppData/Local/Temp folder by replacing the files in /Restore and /CharacterCreator3Temp, which is also how I found out that the copied temporary data was from after the crash and my progress has been wiped.
As I am typing this, I have already accepted what's happened and am remaking yesterday's project (while always double checking the save file lol).

@kmitchell.12catblackstudios
Thank you for the heads up, will make sure to do that in the future!

Reading This Topic