Posted By jerome.dipietro 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question.png
jerome.dipietro
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I've imported my own hair models as per the tutorials. (Import as accessory, fitted onto Female neutral base then used transfer skin weights to create the hair asset. Add to Custom Content tab)
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6d520002-55c9-4c8c-8e0d-a79c.png

The problem I have is that when reused on another character (a headshot model I've created) kinks appear in the hair strands:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9debc2d9-0d54-4ce5-8b94-4aa3.png

What can I do to either remove these on the new model or, ideally, fix the original 'master' so that it can be applied to any model?

I've been looking at the Fixing Visual Defects videos, i.e. manually painting Skin Weights, but I'm unsure how to apply the techniques shown for clothes on my hair strands.
For example, when I select some of the problematic vertices I just see a simple value of 1 on just one bone (CC_base_Head) and the same for the surrounding vertices:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/547dca28-e98c-4d2d-bab4-b221.png

I don't understand why the kink is being created.
Any help or advice with applying skin weights to hair would be very much appreciated.

Unity Virtual Reality Developer
Edited
4 Years Ago by jerome.dipietro
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Change the hair to an accessory (don't weight it as hair).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
jerome.dipietro
jerome.dipietro
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Ah! ok Smile yeah that works but it's confusing to a newcomer... why then have the hair category?

Thanks for the reply

animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 22 minutes ago
jerome.dipietro (10/8/2020)
Ah! ok Smile yeah that works but it's confusing to a newcomer... why then have the hair category?

Thanks for the reply

I believe accessories remain static so it will behave differently when the head is moved. It least that's how it used to be...Unsure

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
4 Years Ago by animagic
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
As long as you have a weight map on it it will look exactly the same.  The only difference is something weighted as hair will then have the shoulders conform it (but a physics weight map will handle that as well).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
4 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
jerome.dipietro
jerome.dipietro
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Kelleytoons, it does make sense that the shoulder bones would have an effect. What's odd to me is that the vertex I have highlighted in my screenshot, according to the Skin Weights panel, is only conforming to the head bone, as are the vertices adjacent to it (and all of them with the same weight of 1). That's why I don't see where the kink comes from.

Very much appreciate your suggestions for workarounds. Sadly the physics weight map isn't available to me, as far as I understand things, as I'm exporting to Unity.

Reading This Topic