Porting a Headshot-created avatar to Unity 2019.3 URP

Posted By OldMember 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General.png
OldMember
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi together,
I am currently working with the most recent Character Creator 3.22 with Headshot Plugin and am trying to export my .fbx to Unity (2019.3). It took me quite some time to realize why the quality of the imported avatar was lacking that much, but I know now, that the Auto Setup tool for importing into Unity only supports up to CC3.1 and Unity 2019.1.

As stated by Miranda (RL) in this post
https://forum.reallusion.com/437481/CC3-setup-for-Unity-192?Keywords=unity%20quality
support for 2019.3 will take till Mid-April, but I would really like to use the unexpected free time I have due to "external circumstances" to work on my project. So I would like to search for a workaround and hoped someone with more insight may be able to help.

From what I figured out myself it is not possible to port to Unity 2019.3 directly, because 2019.3 uses the Universal Render Pipeline instead of the Light Weight Render Pipeline from 2019.1. This led me to creating a new 2019.1 project and importing the .fbx there: Same issue as before, the colors are highly overexposed, the avatar shines in bright white colors. I then realised, that the Shaders used in CC changed from CC3.1 to CC3.2. Shaders like the "Digital Human Skin" where introduced there. I changed the Shaders in CC3 to PBR as well as Traditional, but: no effect.

Now since I use the Headshot Plugin, which was introduced in CC3.2 as well, I don't think it is possible to just go back to CC3.1, is it? I don't know if I can run CC3.1 und 3.2 alongside each other and what that would do to the Headshot-Plugin-head of my avatar...

So my questions are: Is it possible to export my avatar from CC3.22 in a way, that Unity 2019.1 can deal with it correctly? Or, if not, would it be of any help going back to CC3.1?
And lastly, if none of these actions would help, my very broad question would be: How would you go about porting a Headshot-avatar to Unity 2019.3 (URP)?
Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi OldMember,

Reallusion Digital Human Shader is not supported in Unity, which means there should be no difference when importing CC3.1, CC3.2 or CC3.2 Headshot character to Unity. 
May we know what you meant by "the colors are highly overexposed"?
Can you record a video to demonstrate your operation from dragging the FBX folder to Unity?
Thank you!

Miranda
OldMember
OldMember
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi Miranda,

first of all, thanks for your answer. What I meant with overexposure can be seen in this picture.  https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/eedc7efe-b55e-42bf-9e14-254a.png

The way I operated was just like in the official video from Reallusion on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUtC7sgh5s0

I am fully aware, that the Auto-Setup plugin isn't supporting what I was trying to do, yet. The way I got it to work was by changing all of the Shaders of my Avatar from the initial URP/Lit shader to the Standard shader, that Unity uses in its Built-in Render Pipeline. Than I navigated to Edit/ Render Pipeline/ Universal Render Pipeline/ Upgrade Project Materials to UniversalRP Materials, which changed the shader back to URP/Lit, but correctly this time.
Nonetheless, I expect this to become pretty useless information, once the Plugin for 2019.3 is finished.

If I may add another question that may be more relevant further on: When we export to Unity, does it make sense to use the Digital Skin Shaders, or should we change the shaders to PBR before we export the FBX?

All the best and thanks again,
OldMember
Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi OldMember,

Thanks for your explanation.  Sorry about that. Some users might forget to copy texture folders into Unity along with FBX file, I was thinking if it's the same case.
We are studying Unity 2019.3 now, but the specific release date is not firmed yet. We will make sure its compatibility with URP.

There is no need to change the shader back to PBR in CC before export. Smile

OldMember (4/10/2020)

If I may add another question that may be more relevant further on: When we export to Unity, does it make sense to use the Digital Skin Shaders, or should we change the shaders to PBR before we export the FBX?

All the best and thanks again,
OldMember

Edited
4 Years Ago by Miranda (RL)

Reading This Topic