Mesh Medium

Posted By Kimmie777 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kimmie777
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hey... Where can a girl get some mesh medium terrains in this place? :-)   

I want lots! :-D  (Mine only came with 3.)

Also, I need to learn all I can about them. 

Mark had made me a couple of YouTube tutorials last year, and he showed me the basics of those in his videos. 

I have watched those tutorials several times now (as I have with all of the videos that were so thoughtfully made to help us with this project). 

I love them and I want to use them - most especially in our scenes where there is a lot of walking, since we can use multiple terrains to cover a whole lot of territory - and JESUS walked a lot. 

So in other words, they will be used in most of the scenes, as we create the entire town of Capernaum and so much more. :-)

I have searched and searched for more YouTube tutorials on them, but it seems the only ones out there are what Mark took the time to do. 

Does anyone have any YouTube tutorials on mesh medium terrains so I can learn everything possible about them? 

Thanks, guys!!! :-)   We appreciate you all so much!!

~ Kimmie

www.TrackingJESUS.net 

--> More Information On This Bible Film Production Can Be Found At: 
www.TrackingJESUS.net/Productions 

--> Become An Early Subscriber To The 'Tracking JESUS' YouTube Channel At: 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMx91AySc3QuF-SS_3mGQQ

wires
wires
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Hi Kimmie,

Besides the Mesh Medium Terrains the Height Map_Large set also offer many options for making great Terrains.

The tutorial below by WarLord is a great way to learn just how to take full advantage of these assets.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
What wires has showed is great to take notice of. It is certainly things I use too and I have watched many of Warlords tutorials because he shows things well.
I am just adding something else that I use too because the way I see it is there are tones of ways to do things and its which way you do things depends on what suits best for what your making.
Here is the video I made of a terrain of the mountain lookout near where I live. Just working on the terrain here so don't feel bad about the character animations. I didn't put much effort into them here because I was just wanting to see how the terrain looked in animations so I put very little effort with the character animations just to save time.

Now here is a basic demo of how I made the terrain
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/56b77958-ad56-448c-b805-1a4b.png

For most of this terrain I just used the 3D Surface models that come with iClone by default for everyone.
This image is showing how I used the Plane_C model and duplicated it to make the trees that cover up the end edges all around the road shapes.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ff760b5d-0810-4027-9a0e-ab9e.png

For the grounds I used several different versions of models in 3D surface. Different ones so I could position, rotate and scale them to make the shapes of the grounds
Here is one look of the grounds
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b4647cf5-7a23-4529-aecc-6f61.png

And here I copied that image but changed the colors of 4 of the models (Blue, Brown, Red, Green)  I used to make it easier to see how I did it. 
I found it really easy to make these but whether you do or not I cant say. Just showing another method for making terrains.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5cc657f5-d9df-403d-9b88-e11b.png

One more thing, when things are in the distance its good to just use an image on a flat 3D Surface Plane model
For that on this I did it for the town at the bottom of the mountain
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/257908dc-8ec5-4520-8245-a6fd.png

And this shows how its just an image on a Plane model
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1968f375-a7c0-4f3d-bc0c-eae9.png

Not saying this is how you should do any of this. Just showing another method that I sometimes use. You need to experiment with methods and then use the ones that appeal to you.

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
4 Years Ago by Delerna
Kimmie777
Kimmie777
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

I do like the height maps and have enjoyed using them in conjunction with Earth Sculptor. 

What do you guys think is the best route for all of this? :

I am going to need enough space to bring to life and give full detail to the entire town, so the audience can see everything in the background that should be there in the background. 

It will also make everything a smooth transition going from one place to another and then inside of a house or the synagogue, for example, that the audience has been able to see in the background throughout the stories whenever it was in view. 

When I create the town of Capernaum, I will be creating everything from the Sea of Galilee showing east of Capernaum to the small mountains west of Capernaum - and everything in between. 

There is a house that JESUS stayed at in Capernaum with HIS family for a few days shortly before HE began HIS ministry. 

There is also Peter's house, of course, and the synagogue, and Jairus' house, and a Pharisee's house that JESUS had lunch at, and the roads to each of them. 

The houses will be completed also on the inside as well as the details on the outside. 

(Adding in the other houses and the details of a fishing and farming town is going to be so much fun!! :-) )

There will be the road of the pathway JESUS walked to and from of Peter's house and the Sea of Galilee (as HE did many times in the Gospel books). 

People also came from Bethsaida (just northeast of Capernaum) to find where JESUS went after HE left there (the ones who were hoping for more free food). 

JESUS and HIS disciples also came in from different areas of Galilee into Capernaum when JESUS was going all around Galilee, preaching the Gospel.  

And it all began for JESUS officially starting HIS ministry when JESUS called Peter and Andrew from their boat to follow HIM, as well as James and John a little bit further down at the Sea of Galilee from their boat to follow HIM, when they all left everything to follow JESUS and become fishers of men. 

There was also the tax collector booth that JESUS saw Matthew at and called him from.  

And there is more, of course. 

Since I can use many mesh medium terrains on the screen, using those for terrains would enable me to create all of that and the distant mountains to boot. :-)  

(Although I understand that it will take more to add in more than one texture to each of them, by either creating outdoor textures to flow together in Photoshop before applying, or by adding in more mesh medium terrains to layer over each other.)

In order to have everything created in details from the north, south, east, and west (which would go way beyond the space of what a height map would give), what do you guys think is the very best way to accomplish that? :-)

(Of course, for space saving on the graphics card, we will be eliminating for different scenes anything that the cameras do not show, of course.  But everything needs to be there for the scenes that they are in - even if only in the back-drop at the time.  I don't want to jip the audience in this. :-) )

More and added thoughts please? :-) 

~ Kimmie
'Tracking JESUS: Step By Step through the Gospels'

www.TrackingJESUS.net 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Kimmie777
Kimmie777
Kimmie777
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Wait a minute... Can I create a bunch of mesh medium maps and then save them as props... And then pull up one of my scenes that I created with a height map and add in those mesh medium props around it... And then turn the mesh medium props back into terrain again?  Would that work, you guys?  I could then extend my scenes out with using a height map as my center base of terrains... Thoughts, please, on that? 

~ Kimmie

www.TrackingJESUS.net 

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The mesh-medium terrains are just props added to the terrain layer. So you can import any OBJ or FBX prop and then right-click on it and select "Convert To Terrain". You can also go the other way. Select the mesh-medium terrain in the Scene Manager (because you cannot select it directly in the scene), and then right-click and convert to prop.

Whereas the heightmap terrain is using a grayscale image to distort the built-in terrain mesh. You can also do the 4 layrs of materials with masking , and tile the texture vertically on cliffs. 

Using props to build your terrain can have great results, and you can use as many as you want. This allows you to set scale and such, then convert them to terrain.
Kimmie777
Kimmie777
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Perfect, Rampa!  Thank you! :-)  My animation computer is all fired up to try it.  But I thought I would ask first before spending a bunch of time creating and then trying something that didn't turn out to work for some reason I could not foresee. :-D 

~ Kimmie  

www.TrackingJESUS.net 

Kimmie777
Kimmie777
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Delerna, I am very interested in what you did here.  Your creations in this are absolutely fantastic!  (You are quite the gifted items and clothing creator, man.)  Did you make all of those from scratch? 

~ Kimmie

www.TrackingJESUS.net 

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Kimmie777 (3/8/2020)
Delerna, I am very interested in what you did here.  Your creations in this are absolutely fantastic!  (You are quite the gifted items and clothing creator, man.)  Did you make all of those from scratch? 

~ Kimmie

Yes I made everything in that scene, even the houses but I didn't model any of them. Its all done by just using the models that come by default with iClone in the 3D surface.
The houses are mostly made from just using planes also and I had photo's of the houses that I cut up and used to texture the planes to look like houses.
This is all pretty easy stuff to do for anyone. Actually pretty much everything in iClone is really easy to do. it just takes time to learn about everything.....LOL I am still trying to learn everything it can do.

Anyway thought I might as well show this. Maybe you already know how to do this stuff but showing it.
Here is one of the houses in the scene. It was very easy to make just using basic models that come with iClone by default.
By the way, making the grounds etc are all done just like this too. Just need to positions and shape them so they look like what were trying to make.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fb744274-7034-4927-8d0e-453c.png

Here I separated all the model parts that made that toilet so you can see what I am saying how easy it is to make pretty much whatever you want. Oh, by the way, once something is made like this toilet you link all the parts together and then it can be saved as a model so it can be used in any project we want to make. Can even change some parts and images to make it look proper for whatever project were working on and that helps to save time because we don't need to remake the whole thing again. Again, any changes we make so it looks a bit different we can save it again as another model that can be reloaded over and over any time in any project
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5247948c-569c-4270-bdf2-9457.png

Here I am just showing what I mean by adding images to the Base color, opacity and Bump maps. You can also add images to the Metallic and Roughness so it can be made to look like metals or not (There are other points to this too) There are 4 other things where you can add images to do certain things with what were working on. Wont get into those here but I will say you can add colors to the Glow so the model looks like it has lightings on it.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/26b7bb72-68e1-48e4-9fda-ac03.png

Anyway, I am still needing to finish the house where people go to look down at the town in this project. I need to make it so people will be able go inside it and get meals to sit outside eat and watch the scene.
The only thing I didn't work on making in this project was the characters, trees and the car. The key point is I didn't make any of these models. I just used the models that already exist in iClone and sized, rotated, scaled them to make things and then added images so they look OK.

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
4 Years Ago by Delerna
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thought I might as well add this one too just to highlight some more things to do to make whatever we want without having to be modellers.
Oh Shure there are things that need to be modelled but there are still lots of things that can be made like this and its easy. Just need to learn how to do things in iClone alone and iClone gives us lots of abilities.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/413b6511-0853-4d22-9c8a-f0df.png

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
4 Years Ago by Delerna

Reading This Topic