Profile Picture

Face texture doesn't respect opacity map?

Posted By Kelleytoons 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
So I've never noticed this before and maybe it's always been true (or, more hopefully, I'm doing something wrong) but I can't get the face to respect any opacity map I put there.  Not even when I transfer the CC3 character to iClone.

I'm out the door for tennis so I need to test this further with body textures but... wtf?  I put a (mostly) black map there and it acts like it's all white (which does the same thing -- and a mixed map shows no opacity, anywhere).  What am I doing wrong?

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I don't think you are doing anything wrong, do opacity maps work at all on anything?

Unless your opacity slider is at zero or opacity is disabled in preferences
Scyra
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Just tested; works fine for me. Black is transparency, white is opaque. Strength needs to be turned up to get any effect. Copy & Paste one of your black Metallic maps into the Opacity slot—the whole face should disappear.

If you still can't get it working, ask Mike K...oh wait...

CC3 & Daz Tricks | CC3 to Unity workflow

Edited
5 Years Ago by Scyra
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Crap -- this is one of those things I knew and forgot (I hate to sound like an ass, but often times I've forgotten more things than a lot of people know).

PNG files won't work in opacity slots.  Again, I knew this but forgot it.  It's a weird bug that iClone really ought to fix but it's okay as long as I remember it.

(And your line about asking Mike K. -- I used to work support at Autodesk for Max, the same way Rampa does here, on a consultant basis.  I had an issue one time and I asked various tech folks and they said they'd get back to me.  Eventually one day I got a call from another dev who asked me about the same problem.  I told him that was an amazing coincidence, as that was exactly the problem I was trying to find an answer for.  Turns out he was trying to solve my problem -- someone had asked HIM and he said to himself, "Hey, Mike K will know" and asked me.  So the problem got chased back to me to solve.  Which I eventually did :>Wink.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Mike, I was just about to ask if it was perhaps a PNG image, but you did solve your own problem!

EDIT: Corrected grammar/typo...Blush

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
5 Years Ago by animagic
Scyra
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

That's a good one. More than a few times I've gone searching for solutions only to find a years old forum post with the answer...authored by me!

Thanks for the tip about PNG's. I've been using them 90% of the time so I'd have run into the same issue soon enough

CC3 & Daz Tricks | CC3 to Unity workflow

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Job -- I wish you had chimed in sooner.  What I hate most about getting old is just not remembering all I used to know.  As soon as the others here said it worked for them and just to try some opacity maps I instantly remembered what was wrong.

(Now, really, we ought to get the PNG problem solved.  It's stupid that it doesn't work and what's really scary is that a year or two from now I'll forget this again).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
BlueyCreative
BlueyCreative
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Put a note in your Account settings (Notes section) so you wont need to search for the answer in 2 years time lol

Bluey Creative in the Marketplace

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 23 minutes ago
For opacity maps I use nothing but PNG to get a clean, noise free cut outs.
Just make sure to save your PNG images with 24 bit depth, because as you have learned 32 bit does not work.

Edited
5 Years Ago by 4u2ges
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Unfortunately the default in Photoshop for a quick output to PNG is 32 (and I see no way to change this, but I'll dig around on the Adobe forums).  This is the mode I use ALL the time and it would be difficult to break me out of it (luckily I seldom use opacity maps).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic