3DXchange update for current 3D Warehouse revamp

Posted By johnb4467 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
johnb4467
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Hi,
3D Warehouse has been a great resource for content, and of course has a link icon in 3DXchange and works great in refining that content. 
3D Warehouse made changes to their database to where they typically have 2017 as the newest dated download available, whereas 3DX accepts 2015. 

I don't know if Reallusion pays licensing fees for the container format / importing, but it would be wonderful to have that functionality back. After reading a few threads, it seems like there are few workarounds...one of which involves purchasing Sketchup Pro (yearly subscription) just so they can convert the models to 2015 versions -- which works without hitch. 

If that "Save As" conversion could happen in the background of 3DX, or be updated to work with newer versions of SKP files -- I'm sure many would greatly appreciate the amazing avenues that has opened up for me and others. 

Thank you!

John
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi John,

Unfortunately, the problem is that the new Sketchup SDK is now 64bit only but 3DXchange 7 remains a 32bit application which makes it incompatible. At this time a 64bit version of 3DXchange is still under discussion but no decision has been made yet as we continue to evaluate other options for importing 3rd party content.

So for now, the solution is to download the older version of Sketchup now called SketchUp Make 2017 from the link below and then save the SKP files in 2015 format. This will allow you to continue to download and convert models from the Trimble Warehouse for use in iClone.

https://help.sketchup.com/en/downloading-older-versions

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/437967d1-3eec-4809-a2d3-777f.png

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
On behalf of myself and many other users...
3DXchange NEEDS to be updated to be a 64-bit application!

Not only for "COMPATIBILITY" but also to support LARGER FILES.

Seriously, if no other changes are made, it cannot be that difficult to re-compile it to be 64-bit.  At least that's what my software (development/maintenance) experience tells me.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
5 Years Ago by justaviking
charly Rama
charly Rama
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 48 minutes ago
Agree 100% Justaviking

argus1000
argus1000
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
justaviking (5/14/2019)
3DXchange NEEDS to be updated to be a 64-bit application!.

I totally agree. Problem is, I think: after the release of Character creator, Reallusion  doesn't know if they are going to keep 3DXchange at all.

My latest movie THE GOLDEN MAN, and a few othershttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIl1EqVCKitZzLqaNnLK0BA
johnb4467
johnb4467
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Peter (RL) (5/14/2019)
Hi John,

Unfortunately, the problem is that the new Sketchup SDK is now 64bit only but 3DXchange 7 remains a 32bit application which makes it incompatible. At this time a 64bit version of 3DXchange is still under discussion but no decision has been made yet as we continue to evaluate other options for importing 3rd party content.

So for now, the solution is to download the older version of Sketchup now called SketchUp Make 2017 from the link below and then save the SKP files in 2015 format. This will allow you to continue to download and convert models from the Trimble Warehouse for use in iClone.

https://help.sketchup.com/en/downloading-older-versions

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/437967d1-3eec-4809-a2d3-777f.png

Hi Peter, and thank you very much for explaining the scenario and potential plans with me for 3DXChange. 

Personally, aside from it being a bit outdated, I love the idea of a dedicated pipeline program to get content converted, in-and-out, etc of the Reallusion ecosystem. 3DX has some wonderful functionality built into it that I'd hate to see lost in translation if integrated elsewhere. 

For instance, I've been using the CC3 Auto-Convert utility for Unreal (works great for a beta version!), but then all other motions need to be saved & exported out of CC as well -- whereas 3DX was my preferred go to, but motions exported out of there aren't compatible if brought directly into UE4; things are done differently under the hood it would appear. 

Sketchup Make 2017 sounds like a perfectly valid alternative to convert, but upon downloading / launching, it looks like I only have a 30 day evaluation period, and I don't see any options for buying licenses (and, ideally, I wouldn't like to have to purchase one). 
Is this correct -- it's only a temporary fix for 30 days in getting things converted -- or have I missed something? 

Thank you again for your help. I know a lot of factors are weighed when it comes to products, so I understand that things can take time. As long as I have a solid alternative / intermediate step to bridge the gap in the meantime for converting SKP files (more than 30 days!), I'm more than happy to make due until plans are finalized there on your end.  Smile 

John
charly Rama
charly Rama
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 48 minutes ago
argus1000 (5/14/2019)
justaviking (5/14/2019)

I totally agree. Problem is, I think: after the release of Character creator, Reallusion  doesn't know if they are going to keep 3DXchange at all.

I don't see why they are going to leave 3DXchange. CC3 is for charactors, 3DXchange is for everything: especially for props, entire scene that's why we need it to accept bigger file. 

Edited
5 Years Ago by charly Rama
Hookflash
Hookflash
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
charly Rama (5/15/2019)
argus1000 (5/14/2019)
justaviking (5/14/2019)

I don't see why they are going to leave 3DXchange. CC3 is for charactors, 3DXchange is for everything: especially for props, entire scene that's why we need it to accept bigger file. 

It's also worth noting that, for some characters (for example, characters with rigged geografts or geoshells), 3dxchange + Blender is a much better option than CC3 Pipeline.
argus1000
argus1000
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
charly Rama (5/15/2019)

To be honest, I don't see why Reallusion would keep 3DXchange. Since we don't need it anymore to import Genesis characters and accessories from Daz (CC3 does a better job), that leaves the work of importing sets and  props from 3D warehouse or Daz or whatever, so why not integrate 3DXchange into iClone, which is already 64 bits? That would mean one less program to worry about. Just thinking...

My latest movie THE GOLDEN MAN, and a few othershttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIl1EqVCKitZzLqaNnLK0BA
Hookflash
Hookflash
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
argus1000 (5/16/2019)
charly Rama (5/15/2019)

To be honest, I don't see why Reallusion would keep 3DXchange. Since we don't need it anymore to import Genesis characters and accessories from Daz (CC3 does a better job), that leaves the work of importing sets and  props from 3D warehouse or Daz or whatever, so why not integrate 3DXchange into iClone, which is already 64 bits? That would mean one less program to worry about. Just thinking...

3dxchange does a better job than CC3 of importing Daz characters that have complex, rigged geografts and/or geoshells (although the latter have to be tweaked in Blender first). But I agree, it would be nice if all of these capabilities were integrated into CC3. RL doesn't exactly seem to be in any hurry to make this happen, though...

Reading This Topic