Profile Picture

How can I keep everything in the same location when importing sketchup models into iclone?

Posted By ckalan1 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

How can I keep everything in the same location when importing sketchup...

Author
ckalan1
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I have built a very large neighborhood with many sub props and objects like houses, streets, fences, schools, etc. I am trying to import them into iclone but since the model is too big for 3dxchange to handle all at once I have to import it in smaller parts.
Does anyone know how to keep the models and the various sub props in their proper location i.e. the same place they are located in Sketchup?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

I do not work with Sketchup much, but the general idea (probably for any 3D editor) is to keep the origin/pivot/root of the model at the center (0,0,0).
Then at export/import it wold fall in place at the destination app at the correct location.

I just quickly looked it up. Try setting the Axis of the exported models to the center (right mouse click on the component).
There might be some other ways to do global change for all components though.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c83165af-e8ef-4be1-b9b6-6d05.jpg

Hope this helps

ckalan1
ckalan1
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try.
Craig
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

@ckalan1 .....  As 4u2ges mentioned - I do it that way - just export different 'sections' from the original SU layout - and because all the parts start out in SU in the correct positions relative to each other, I've found the sections come into iClone (via XChange) at exactly the right 3D co-ordinates .....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

ckalan1
ckalan1
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi sonic7, I had success doing that in the past. But, I must be building my model differently than I did before. When I figure it out I will let you guys know.

Craig

Reading This Topic