Profile Picture

How to correctly derive a custom clothing from base?

Posted By midix 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
midix
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Let's say I would like to derive my custom content from this item:
https://marketplace.reallusion.com/business-suit_base

I want to adjust the base design for two buttons. It shouldn't be that difficult to do, right? But what if I want to sell my derivative work on the Marketplace? What would be the steps to modify the base both mesh and textures and still be DRM compatible with the base item?

It's really difficult to find realistic looking suits with enough wrinkles and tiny details. Even DAZ content store has no options for a classic regular fit (not slim) style suit with two buttons and working well for different poses. The iClone suit base was the closest I could get (maybe it was created in Marvelous Designer with its amazing cloth simulation tools). 
sjonesdc
sjonesdc
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)

midix (4/2/2019)
Let's say I would like to derive my custom content from this item:
https://marketplace.reallusion.com/business-suit_base

I want to adjust the base design for two buttons. It shouldn't be that difficult to do, right? But what if I want to sell my derivative work on the Marketplace? What would be the steps to modify the base both mesh and textures and still be DRM compatible with the base item?

It's really difficult to find realistic looking suits with enough wrinkles and tiny details. Even DAZ content store has no options for a classic regular fit (not slim) style suit with two buttons and working well for different poses. The iClone suit base was the closest I could get (maybe it was created in Marvelous Designer with its amazing cloth simulation tools). 

At one point you could bring into iClone items created with Marvelous Designer! Search the forum for a posting. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge then me will answer soon.

sjonesdc Hehe

STILL LEARNING!!!

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Please see the thread below. This explains how to create custom outfits to sell using the CC clothing bases.

https://forum.reallusion.com/291880/Character-Creator-v15-Marketplace-Submission-Guide-Outfits-Hair-Accessories

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

midix
midix
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Thanks, that thread helped somewhat but it explained only about deriving from base using textures and Appearance Editor.

However, somehow I could not find enough information about modifying someone else's base mesh outside of CC and still preserving the reference to the original base. I just want to avoid plagiarism issues when I want to heavily modify the base mesh in ways that are beyond normal modification limits of CC Appearance Editor.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Generally, there are two ways to sell content in the Marketplace.

One is to create custom content that is 100% your own work.

The second way is to customise another base product which will make the content you sell derivative content. When this is done a warning will be placed on your product page to let other users know that they must have the original base product to be able to use the derivative content. The most common use of derivative content is when retexturing to give it a new look, but it can include other modifications such as reshaping.

However if what you propose is to create and sell a new mesh based off another mesh, then this falls outside of our current guidelines for submission. You can't sell a clothing mesh that is half someone else's work and half your own, even if you give credit.

So the best solution would be to use the existing product as a style guide, but then create a brand new mesh that is entirely your own work and one which doesn't include anything from the original product. You can then sell the clothing as your own work without any DRM or derivative issues.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic