[ iClone 7.4 ] Showcase of Python API for iClone

Posted By Tony (RL) 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Tony (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Dear iCloners,

I’d like to share some showcases of upcoming Python API for iClone which is the major feature of iClone 7.4.

The following iClone plugins are made by Python API.

1. Batch Rendering Plugin

• The plugin can automatically render selected projects one by one.
  • The render export setting can individually depend on each project’s original setting.

2. Joint Morphing Plugin

• The plugin can calculate the angle between two bones and automatically morph nearby skin at the same time.
  • This can let a character’s morphing result naturally correspond with its movement and gesture, instead of manually adjusting many morph sliders one by one.

We hope Python API for iClone can become a Scripting Tool for Artists. This tool can help them to easily create useful plugins by themselves without consuming much effort and time, in order to extend iClone’s functions. 

Please feel free to let us know if there is any suggestion.

Thank you!

Tony
Product Marketing Manager 

www.reallusion.com
Edited
6 Years Ago by Tony (RL)
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I think everyone (including RL :>Wink knows how excited I am about the possibilities of this.  In the demo video for batch rendering it seemed to show that either a user input was needed immediately after the second render (where it wanted to know if the project needed to be saved).  Can you elaborate on that?  Does batch rendering mean you have to babysit after each render?  Why did that prompt come up and is there any way around it?

And while I've expressed this before, I'm still more concerned about the internals of iClone -- for example, currently you cannot select multiple materials and, say, add a map to a slot that propagates across all the selections (even if they are linked).  This is a prime target for a Python routine.  Hopefully such exposure will be available to us.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Postfrosch
Postfrosch
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Maybe someone can realize via a Phyton script that you can mark several avatars with a mouse click and assign these marked avatars the same move command.
Would be very practical in connection with the LOD avatars for mass scenes

I am not a programmer but would be a user of such plugins
Greets from Germany
Postfrosch

--------------------------------------------------------------
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cd9c9a06-21a5-44c5-9f67-6810.jpg
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Yeah, actually you'd want to make it so that an offset could be applied (so a variance as to when each motion actually started -- hell, you could also have a time variance so some motions could be faster/slower over the range).  That way a mass scene would be convincing (you don't want everyone to move in exact unison -- that's impossible even for the Rockettes :>Wink.

Easily programmed, I would suspect (I can do that in Blender, right now).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
6 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi Tony,

great news that Python baby is about to be churned out! Smile
It seems that more features have been added in this first round of API  and it´s great that there is also the possibility to create a real-time GUI!!
I can´t wait for this... 

I imagine the request is probably difficult to be taken, but, still... would it ever be possible to release the documentation ahead of the 7.4 release so that people can start to get a hold of what can it be done ?

Regards

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

Dr. Nemesis
Dr. Nemesis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Man, that joint morph script is a lot like what I needed to automatically drive wrinkle maps.
I was exited before but after seeing the examples, I’m losing my mind. Good work!
+1 for early documentation. I’d love to dive deep into this as soon as humanly possible.
You already have 2 sample scripts. Can you show us the code? Even copy/paste on the forum would be fine.

One of the things I’m curious about is how the GUI is written. Is it Qt? I’ve seen some references to qt in the Iclone files previously I think.
Or are we gonna have to brush up on our Tk? All the interfaces we’ve seen so far have been simple so I’m really curious.

Again, I’m seriously excited. When I saw the batch renderer my first thought was “That’s not good enough, lacks features”. And therein lies the awesomeness of this. It was made to work exactly as reallusion designed but those who don’t find that enough no longer have to plead for improvements... at least not where scriptable tasks are concerned. If I feel the plugin doesn’t do enough I can simply add functionality or write my own.
Far too often I’ve found myself in this situation and I’m seriously glad to now have at least limited power to change that.

So please don’t be shy with videos and samples. I want as much info as you can give.
dogged2003
dogged2003
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Will we have access to movements? finally we can properly impose, combine movement? So that the root does not fly away and there were no horrendous flights of characters and jerking on the places of gluing? And change the names of the bones for the unification of skeletons and movements?

We will be able to write: come to the table and take a mug?

My YouTube channel.
Edited
6 Years Ago by dogged2003
Warped Reality VFX
Warped Reality VFX
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Although I've been programming for years I've never used python before just c++ c c# java javascript boo basic darkbasic visual basic.
is python an oop language?
If vertex information is exposed we could create all sorts of effects ocean waves terrain damage vehicle damage if the rendering engine is exposed we could create vertex shader effects like tank track marks, craters, erupting volcanoes, earthquakes.

Warped Reality VFX.
RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi Kevin,

yes, Pythom is OOO, you can create classes and code in "OOO-thinking".
What is special with this language is several ready-made data structures but also the so-called "phytonized" lines of code where with one single line of code you can do what would require many lines if code in other languages.
Anyway, if you know all of these languages you will be able to jump in very easily.

Cheers

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

Warped Reality VFX
Warped Reality VFX
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Thank you, Roberto, I guess I better start learning python it sounds like a very versatile language.

Warped Reality VFX.

Reading This Topic