[ iClone 7.4 ] Showcase of Python API for iClone

Posted By Tony (RL) 2 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
It's now the #2 programming language (Java is first).  Although it does depend on the polls (but all in in agreement about the top five).

As was said, it's a remarkably efficient language -- I can do things in five lines it took 100 lines of C# code.  So it's worth knowing (and using).

Alienware Aurora R7, Win 10, i7-8700k, 4.7GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX Titan XP (12GB), Samsung 960 Pro 2TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kevin L
Kevin L
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
Thank you kelleytoons for your response I was never required to learn it for work, so you kinda stick to what you know I should have learned it when I was a little younger, but its never to late to learn something new.
As long as you can smell the roses and not see the roots.

Warped Reality VFX.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
If I could learn it at MY age, ANYONE can <g>.

(And truth be told, if I had known about this language sooner I never would have stopped programming.  It's really FUN to program in Python, no more long routines to code just to do things you can do in one line.  It's truly the language I wish I could have had 40 years ago).

Alienware Aurora R7, Win 10, i7-8700k, 4.7GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX Titan XP (12GB), Samsung 960 Pro 2TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Tony (RL)
Tony (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 Months Ago
Kelleytoons (12/12/2018)
I think everyone (including RL :>Wink knows how excited I am about the possibilities of this.  In the demo video for batch rendering it seemed to show that either a user input was needed immediately after the second render (where it wanted to know if the project needed to be saved).  Can you elaborate on that?  Does batch rendering mean you have to babysit after each render?  Why did that prompt come up and is there any way around it?

And while I've expressed this before, I'm still more concerned about the internals of iClone -- for example, currently you cannot select multiple materials and, say, add a map to a slot that propagates across all the selections (even if they are linked).  This is a prime target for a Python routine.  Hopefully such exposure will be available to us.

Hi Mike,

Batch Rendering Plugin should be able to automatically render, export, and save multiple projects, so users don’t need to change its settings a during rendering process. However, the version of the plugin in the demo video is still a work in progress, so there are some bugs which the team is fixing now. Thank you so much for good observation and report this issue to us.

Tony
Product Marketing Manager 

www.reallusion.com
Edited
2 Years Ago by Tony (RL)
Tony (RL)
Tony (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

RobertoColombo (12/12/2018)
Hi Tony,

great news that Python baby is about to be churned out! Smile
It seems that more features have been added in this first round of API  and it´s great that there is also the possibility to create a real-time GUI!!
I can´t wait for this... 

I imagine the request is probably difficult to be taken, but, still... would it ever be possible to release the documentation ahead of the 7.4 release so that people can start to get a hold of what can it be done ?

Regards

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

I'm sorry to let you know Developer Guide will be available at the same time when iClone 7.4 is launched.
We can understand releasing it ahead of 7.4 would be the best situation, but unfortunately, the team is just too busy now for polishing Python API itself and don't have extra time to accelerate writing the guide. Crying

Tony

www.reallusion.com
Edited
2 Years Ago by Tony (RL)
dogged2003
dogged2003
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Time to take up the textbooks and practice while in Blender. The forum has a topic with a selection of materials on Python:

Python - what is a good tutorial or course

My YouTube channel.
Tony (RL)
Tony (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Dr. Nemesis (12/12/2018)
Man, that joint morph script is a lot like what I needed to automatically drive wrinkle maps.
I was exited before but after seeing the examples, I’m losing my mind. Good work!
+1 for early documentation. I’d love to dive deep into this as soon as humanly possible.
You already have 2 sample scripts. Can you show us the code? Even copy/paste on the forum would be fine.

One of the things I’m curious about is how the GUI is written. Is it Qt? I’ve seen some references to qt in the Iclone files previously I think.
Or are we gonna have to brush up on our Tk? All the interfaces we’ve seen so far have been simple so I’m really curious.

Again, I’m seriously excited. When I saw the batch renderer my first thought was “That’s not good enough, lacks features”. And therein lies the awesomeness of this. It was made to work exactly as reallusion designed but those who don’t find that enough no longer have to plead for improvements... at least not where scriptable tasks are concerned. If I feel the plugin doesn’t do enough I can simply add functionality or write my own.
Far too often I’ve found myself in this situation and I’m seriously glad to now have at least limited power to change that.

So please don’t be shy with videos and samples. I want as much info as you can give.

Hi Leo,

This is a nice question!
Users can write GUI for iClone by Qt.

Tony

www.reallusion.com
Edited
2 Years Ago by Tony (RL)
Tony (RL)
Tony (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

dogged2003 (12/12/2018)
Will we have access to movements? finally we can properly impose, combine movement? So that the root does not fly away and there were no horrendous flights of characters and jerking on the places of gluing? And change the names of the bones for the unification of skeletons and movements?

We will be able to write: come to the table and take a mug?

Hi dogged2003,

Yes, you can access, impose, and combine movements by Python API. You also can control bone rotation and root bone RTS, but can't rename the bone.

Tony

www.reallusion.com
Edited
2 Years Ago by Tony (RL)
rollasoc
rollasoc
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Kevin L (12/12/2018)
Thank you, Roberto, I guess I better start learning python it sounds like a very versatile language.

I need to learn it too.  There was a freebie Python course on Udemy, which I need to go through.  Not sure it is free anymore.

The guitarist in my band, picked python up quickly on the raspberry pi and he is not a coder.   We had a student in at work, earlier in the year, he picked up Python in less than a week and he had never coded before. 

So hopefully, I can pick it up in a day or two (given I have been coding since 1983).

Home built PC:- i9 9900K 32GB RAM, Zotac 1080TI mini.
Band Music:-  https://thehairthieves.bandcamp.com/
Solo Instrumentals:- https://sineglidermusic.bandcamp.com/

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I always suggest the free Python course at coursera.org from Rice University: very well done, really Object Oriented thinking, and quite fuunny because they are based on creating video games (from card games, to, pong, to asteroids)

Cheers

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO / 
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the VB with an HDMI splitter) / DirectX: 12

Edited
2 Years Ago by RobertoColombo

Reading This Topic