Using wrinkle maps in Appearance editor / displacement map

Posted By jonasbendiksenjunk 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Using wrinkle maps in Appearance editor / displacement map

Author
jonasbendiksenjunk
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hi,
I am trying to apply a wrinkle map to a character, but am not understanding how to do it. I have tried via 2 methods:

1 - In the appearance editor (I am using a CC1 skin for now), I go to Skin_head - and click in to "Skin / normal". There is an input box there for wrinkle map. I have searched the forums up and down for any leads of how to use these wrinkle maps/what form they should take. I tried loading in a displacement map based on the same character, but with lines on it, but that did not work at all.

2 - In the materials section, I tried taking the grey  plain displacement map of the character and darkening it for lines etc, and reapplying it. But that strangely only places vague, spots on the character in the strangest places. (again I placed the "wrinkle lines" on the forehead based on the face placement in the bump/normal map - but when applied in the displacement map they do not show up anywhere near where they should. 

I think its so important to be able to apply wrinkles and kinks enough in a skin to make it realistic - but alas cannot find a decent way to do this to a character. Yes I know I can use the old woman from the Essentials package - but seems hard to make a realistic, say 40-year old from that. Am after subtle, but realistic wrinkles. 
Any advice, anyone?

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Have you tried simply adjusting the Age sliders to get effect you want.

The age slider is available for the base, forehead, cheeks, nose and chin so you can make individual adjustments to get an older look.

Please click the image below which shows the CC1 Male who has been aged a bit.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b8183f52-d826-4b01-90f0-e976.png

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

jonasbendiksenjunk
jonasbendiksenjunk
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hi there, thanks. Yes I tried those, those are useful up to a certain level...so my question was to make more wrinkles on top of that, to make more unique characters.

I did learn, after I posted, that the strange non-fitting looks I got when I tried using displacement map looked wrong on the iClone render preview - once I ran it in iRay, it showed up more as intended. My displacements simply didn't show up with any effect until I previewed it using iRay. So the displcements work. 

Having said that - could you explain what the wrinkles map section in the Appearance editor is supposed to do, and how one would use it? What is the format of such a wrinkle map that one is to add in there? Is this the wrinkle map that the other slider, the ones you mention, work from? Could ne then add a different map, and get sliders for these?

I think this would be of interest to more users than me for sure. 

Ps - oh, and we sure look forward to the update when one can use the appearance editors for cc3 characters...

Reading This Topic