Reallusion Native Avatars vs Daz Genesis et al

Posted By AutoDidact 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
AutoDidact
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 minutes ago
Hi, I just watched a Reallusion tutorial video entitled:
"Character-Creator-3-Tutorial-Getting-Started-Importing-Daz-Characters-into-Character-Creator"

I forget the narrators name but its the deep voice guy that does all of the Reallusion videos and I really enjoy his work
In fact I have a fairly massive archive of his videos going back to the Iclone 5.5 era.

However I must admit to being a bit puzzled by RL's Strategic plan  & marketing 
of the CC3 software thus far.

I think Reallusion should focus more on promoting the New native CC3 bases and the content made for them, along with the Optimizations for game content dev as they were doing with the WIP videos before the release.

In the aforementioned video I saw essentially a heavily compromised,stripped 
down, FBX ghost of what was once a highly versatile Genesis 8 female extracted 
from her native program environment .

I saw major Clothes fitting problems with the "skin weights" feature that
 No Daz studio or poser or hivewire  user would tolerate for even an instant with a 
commercial clothing product  sold in those markets.

much less sit and use the mesh edit brush to constantly fix EVERY SINGLE bit 
of clothing that is applied.
and of course the joint correction morphs were not transfered AFAIK
and the Daz native HD details of course cannot leave daz studio.

I asked myself...to what end??

Why would anyone, Who already owns the free Daz studio with a free included
IRay engine,$$Buy $$ CC3 and endure this process with an imported genesis 
Character for such a comparatively substandard result.

And if you plan to send her to iclone to animate,again her appearance IMHO is no better than one of the native CC3 Avatars once stripped of all of her DAZ studio native enhancements ( JCM's,HD morphs).

The same rings true for the vestigial millenium 4 Daz figures and the ones from Hivewire.

IMHO, RL should focus on building and perfecting the clothing & game dev 
content eco system for the new native CC3 Avatars just as Daz has done exclusively for their ecosystem.  

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by AutoDidact
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Except that RL is first and foremost an Animation company, and CC3 is still squarely aimed at animators, those using iClone.

Using Daz characters is vastly unpractical in iClone, and CC3 makes it much more than possible.  For the majority of us, this is a VAST improvement.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Dr. Nemesis
Dr. Nemesis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I'm not yet done giving CC3 an indepth look (hopefully soon) but as someone who uses Daz models for all main characters, if the tool works as advertised it'll be good.
Moving Daz characters to Iclone via 3dXchange is good but not as smooth as it could've been. Converting Daz characters to Iclone default characters (I think that's how it works in CC3?) actually has some really good advantages. 

Also, yes some details are normally lost when moving to Iclone but if you know what you're doing you can keep them.
On the left is a Daz Character when I first imported him. On the way to the right I get the missing details back.
A benefit of getting him in CC is that I don't have to import all the needed stuff everytime I need to have the character make a costume change or something similar. 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a79f3f33-15e5-4aba-9d57-9326.jpg

As for why the marketing push, that's kinda obvious. Daz has a huge user base, and the tool doesn't animate as easily as Iclone. Getting some of those customers would be a win. Not to mention it really pulls in people like me who prefer the Daz models.
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)

Kelleytoons (10/11/2018)
Except that RL is first and foremost an Animation company, and CC3 is still squarely aimed at animators, those using iClone.

Using Daz characters is vastly unpractical in iClone, and CC3 makes it much more than possible.  For the majority of us, this is a VAST improvement.

True, however I use Daz figures exclusively but I dont bring them into Iclone.
I have Pipeline so They stand naked in 3DXchange awaiting retarget of motions I 
have created in Iclone  to export back to Daz studio where I dress them for their 
final render in C4D as full res MDD files with my joint control morphs baked 
into the point cache.
On the marketing side 
Any Daz user who wishes to access the iclone motionbuilding tools would be 
better served buying Pipeline and skipping CC3 stand alone. 
with pipeline he could create custom BVH for his genesis people and send it 
back to Daz studio where he has 3Delight, clothin that fits correctly by 
defualt,HD morphs,JCM's and a free IRay.

3Delight looks an order of magnitude better than the Iclone native DX12 or 
whatever engine and will render way faster than IRay in either program.
@Dr. Nemesis are you using the included normal maps for the  Ivan HD DAZ 
character?? you still are missing quite a bit a detail compared this Daz native 
IRay render

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/3906abba-abc8-4a08-bf39-7a9c.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins

Dr. Nemesis
Dr. Nemesis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
That's the character model but I didn't want as many wrinkles in the face so made some adjustments, and with a 3GB card so with smaller textures than I can have now.
Otherwise the details in the face will almost always show more prominently in Iray. I've seen as much from comparison screenshots using CC3 Iray and the native renderer.

If you're looking to compare Iray results from a model that's smoothed to several million quads, of course that'll have more detail than a 30,000 polygon model in Iclone's native renderer. (Duh?) My point is that with knowledge of the process, the Daz import doesn't have to look like the face on the left, as it normally would.

No, the normal maps that come with the model don't have those details. I made a new one.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Dr. Nemesis
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

[b]
No, the normal maps that come with the model don't have those details. .

Not  quite sure why you believe this.
When I export my genesis Characters to Maxon Cinema4D as .obj file with thier MDD files with animation Data
I export them at BASE resolution from Daz Studio with ZERO subdivisions
 as using Hi polygon models to render animations is not a wise use of resources.
In C4D I apply their supplied normal maps and get as much detailed appearance as they had back in Daz studio .

Here are some screen caps from my current movie project.
You will recognize "Ivan" for the G3 model and the black guy is "Darious"
for the Genesis 2 male. both at base  resolution.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/02f3ef6c-7c59-4939-98b2-5fc6.jpg
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f95d6169-867c-489c-bb46-e5ca.jpg

Ghost Origins

Edited
donald.dade
donald.dade
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)Veteran Member (682 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I would agree with the OP that RL models are simply not in the same class as Daz ones, but Daz animation capability is not in the same class as iClone's.

I came to the same conclusion, that Daz models outside of Daz Studio look like crap because the JCMs and Flexions don't get exported. But I was assured by more than one person that with CC3, these problems will be fixed.

But now, after CC3 is actually out, the statements about how well Daz import actually works have been tempered and are a lot less fervent than before. So I'll ask again: If I put in the work to learn how, can I have my G8s in iClone in all their glory, i.e. JCMs and Flexions, or is it just not possible? And then I should use iClone to retarget mocap and then export it back to Daz, where I'll get all the substantial benefits of the G8?

"Where there is a bash prompt, there is a way."

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi,
Every "Daz genesis to program XXX" plugin, for the last 3 years or so
have used FBX as means to get the genesis rigs out of Daz studio.

Most have been for Maya and all required a certain set of choices in the morph 
export rules from Daz studio that resulted in a huge file sizes in the FBX export.

As well as some advanced knowledge of Maya to script the Automatic 
implementation of the hundreds of morph shapes that daz studio uses for joint correction.

Check this reallusion Video and decide for yourself if the guy is doing anything 
beyond a standard FBX export from Daz studio and if the "converted" G8 girl in CC3  looks any better than a native CC3 figure at the joints.

I dont think she does but you make your own judgement.

Ghost Origins

Edited
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

double deleted

Ghost Origins

Edited
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (33.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.3K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Marketing in this video may be aimed at a different user base than yourself, so I see nothing wrong with that. I don't use external applications to render, so for me it may be interesting to actually consider using DAZ figures.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic