Profile Picture

Applying a Motion over a Transform -- Drifting Motion -- can someone explain this?

Posted By bexley 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Applying a Motion over a Transform -- Drifting Motion -- can someone...

Author
bexley
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Using the Motion Layer, I hand-animated (go figure) a character turning 180.  I did a Collect Clip and saved it as an I-motion.  When I apply it, it works fine.

However, if I apply the motion, then rotate the character (transform), the feet skate all over the place, like he's un-tethered, even though there are no other key-frames to interfere.

However, if I translate the character, then apply the motion, all works normally.

Can someone explain this?  I'd like to know what is happening, so I don't have to deal with it later on.  Also, after some trial and error, I translated using the Step transition, and removed the clip transition, so I'm sure this isn't the problem.

TIA 

--Bex.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 37 minutes ago
Think of your character as being in a box. When you just translate, your moving the box with the character in it. When you use the motion layer, you are moving the character in the box. So if move the character in the box, and then move the box while the character is moving, you're going to see sliding. 

When the box is still, you are only seeing the character's movement.
bexley
bexley
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly -- or (more likely) your analogy isn't getting through my thick skull.

I applied the movement, then rotated the character, but the rotation was "fixed" -- it wasn't an animated rotation, just pointing the character in a different direction.  Does this still make a difference?  If I point the box in a different direction the character should still perform inside the box, relative to it's boundaries?  To be clear, I wasn't moving the box during the animation.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, Rampa, I'm just desperate to understand!  :-)

Thanks for your time!

--Bex.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 37 minutes ago
No problem Bex. I misunderstand things quite often. Smile

Is it flipping around the wrong direction? Could you post a video?
Edited
6 Years Ago by Rampa
bexley
bexley
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Here's a crude video of the problem: Take 1 is the motion applied to the character.  Take 2 is the motion applied to the character, and then the character rotated (re-aligned) 90 degrees.  Take 3 is the motion applied after take 2 with no modifications (no rotation, just dropped in), and Take 4 is the character rotated 45 degrees, then the motion applied.  Each take has no merge on the motion, and each translation (1,2 and 4) is done as a step.  If you didn't notice, Take 2 is the problem -- skating everywhere.  Just to be clear: there is no animation of the translation points.

Any ideas?

--Bex.

Reading This Topic