Sketchup to iClone - "Naming Materials"

Posted By sonic7 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

Hi ..... regarding Sketchup models >> imported >> into iClone:
'Materials', 'textures', 'base color' etc are all new to me, so for ease, I'm simply adding my 'materials' inside of sketchup. (there's probably better ways).
But .... no matter how I try to 're-name' the materials (in SU), the 'material list' that arrives in iClone still has, I'm guessing - all the 'original' names for those materials.
Eg: I name a material: "Light Reflector Rear" (in SU) .... and in IC it shows as "Metal_Aluminium_Anodized.jpg"
Or I label a material: "King Pole Timber grain" (SU) ..... and in IC it shows as "Chateignier_tangentiel.jpg"
I realize this probably isn't iClone's fault - but does anyone happen to know a trick to doing this? ...... Ermm  thnx
Steve.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
ckalan1
This post has been flagged as an answer
ckalan1
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I am not sure why you want to change the name but it can be done. There are a few steps that you have to do in Sketchup.
In order to change the name, you will need to 
Select the Texture for your object surface with the default texture of your choice. (The default tray is open to Materials. Have the Materials dropdown open)
Click the little cube with the plus sign. This makes the Create Material window popup (It can be found on the right side of the top panel of the Materials dropdown)
Give the material a name. Then click OK
Now paint the surface of your object
Right click on the surface that you just painted and click on Make Unique Texture
Now you can save the object as a Sketchup 2015 file and open it in 3dxchange. It should transfer your new texture names.

I am not sure this is what you are trying to do. There is probably a plugin that can do this. If I find one I will pass it along.
Craig

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
ckalan1 (4/26/2018)
I am not sure why you want to change the name but it can be done.

If you're going to work with the model more than once, it is nice to have meaninful names.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

@Craig .....
Thanks, yes - I'd been using that approach but had stopped short of that 'last critical step', namely 'Make Unique Texture' .....
Without clicking 'Make Unique' the model held on to the material's original jpg map with it's original default name.
However, clicking 'Make Unique' (I'm assuming), creates a new jpg of the material and labels it according to the new name I'd given it in Sketchup when painting. So now the desired naming transfers through into iClone.
So thanks for clearing that up Craig .... Smile

@justaviking
Yes - having the 'names' of materials in iClone that say exactly which part of the model they belong to - is a big help - (to the 'easily confused' like myself). I'm only just now discovering the amazing results of altering the 'Base Color' 'Metallic' and 'Roughness' of props with iClone's 'Adjust Color' panel. Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7

Reading This Topic