Profile Picture

When will Reallusion fix the material loosing PBR shading issue when loading appearance editor?

Posted By AasmundSchei 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

When will Reallusion fix the material loosing PBR shading issue when...

Author
AasmundSchei
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
When I load the appearance editor, the material looses the PBR shading. I set the materials to PBR before I load the appearance editor.
When will Reallusion fix this? This is taking too long time.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/832dd6b4-dcce-404b-a36b-74e4.jpg

Desktop
: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula - 16GB ram - i7 7700K Kaby Lake @ 4.2ghz - ASUS GeForce ROG 1080 8GB Strix advanced - M.2 NVMe: Samsung 960 500GB - Windows 10 home

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

So you loaded a non PBR Character in CC, converted all the Materials to PBR and now want to use the Appearance Editor. Do not do that if you indeed intent to use the Appearance Editor.
You just have to switch your last two steps order and the conversion will be done automatically for you:

1) Load your non-PBR Character.

2) Do not convert your Materials, go directly to the Appearance Tab.
Notice above each substance path there is a little button with the Substance logo, click on it and choose PBR_Basic.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4d8a3dd0-701e-4bcc-af6f-7838.jpg

3) Now you can activate the Appearance Editor and do your customization.
Notice that the Substance shading system is using PBR now:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f673bb5a-6546-4b18-a0b5-9ed1.jpg

4) Once you are done with your customization, click the Unload Appearance Editor.

5) Notice now that your Material is using PBR

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9b6773a3-8679-4efc-8de0-21f9.jpg

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

Edited
6 Years Ago by grabiller
AasmundSchei
AasmundSchei
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

Thanks for your reply Smile I did this, but I still loose the PBR shading on the lips. They dont have the nice specular maps. Is it any way to fix that?

Desktop
: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula - 16GB ram - i7 7700K Kaby Lake @ 4.2ghz - ASUS GeForce ROG 1080 8GB Strix advanced - M.2 NVMe: Samsung 960 500GB - Windows 10 home

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

AasmundSchei (3/16/2018)
Thanks for your reply Smile I did this, but I still loose the PBR shading on the lips. They dont have the nice specular maps. Is it any way to fix that?

Not sure what you mean here. A "Traditional Material", by definition, can't loose the PBR shading as it is not PBR yet. And PBR Shaders do not have Specular Maps, at least in iClone.
I've just re-tested it now and the conversion works as expected for the face and lips. Be sure to choose "PBR_Basic" for every parts of the figure (Skin_Body, Skin_Face, etc..).

--

AasmundSchei
AasmundSchei
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/323138a9-cbf0-47d1-93b5-992a.jpg
I mean that I lose this nice specular maps when I load the Appearance editor. That is the issue Im having. I thought they was a part of the PBR materials. Sorry for not being too clear.

Desktop

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I see, well, often, after a conversion, you will have to adjust a bit the "Brightness" of the "Roughness" texture map that is now part of the PBR Material. Usually you have to lower that brightness a bit but it depends.

Also, understand that a conversion will never be perfect because Traditional and PBR Materials use two different shading systems so obviously there will be always differences in the way the materials react to the lights.
That means you will most likely have to tweak things after a conversion.

--

Edited
6 Years Ago by grabiller
AasmundSchei
AasmundSchei
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Allright, think I will have to use Photoshop for texture editing. Thanks for your help and time Smile

Desktop

animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
As a first approximation, "Roughness" is taken as the inverse of "Specular". So you don't really loose anything as far as maps go.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic