Profile Picture

Quality control with 3rd party developers ?

Posted By rogyru 7 Years Ago
Rated 4 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
rogyru
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Does RL do Quality control checks on products that 3rd party devs put up for sale ?. Had a recent experience where i purchased a number of scenes from a 3rd party dev for a project i am working on . Wasted hours trying to work out why it looked so bad . Only to discover that the product has dozens of missing textures and geometry that is not set up for use in iclone more like a old scene from a 3dmax render cracks and gaps and light leeks all over .geometry made for a still render not a animation .  Have purchased hundreds of items form 3dparty devs on RL store and never had a problem the vast majority are good  and some like Tokomotion are great. But some recent additions have been very poor in terms of quality and matierials . More concerning is the dev i purchased from and product i am talking about  is one that RL highlight on there store front. In future when it comes to interior scenes i will just buy from unreal are unity and convert it to iclone myself plenty PBR  ready scences set up correct on sale  . Be nice if a RL dev can give a insight on this , thanks

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
I have commented on content quality control in the past but haven't gotten much of a response...

I would like to add that renders from Unity or Unreal in advertising material don't really say much about how things will look in iClone. With PBR and GI, the requirements for texturing are much higher, so we need iClone renders to judge the quality.

To further add to this: we need a Feedback Tracker for content. I have an issue with RL content for CC that I entered in FT under CC, but that's not effective.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (63.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
@rogyrue,

Sorry to know that you have a bad user experience in using these content assets. All the content packs converted from 3rd party stores have been verified by Reallusion before launching in the Content Store. I've reported this issue to Reallusion Content Team, and we are very concerned about it. When introducing content assets from 3rd party stores to RL store, we expect iClone users are able to use those assets directly in iClone without paying much time and money (iContent price is lower). May you specify the packs with the issue "dozens of missing textures and geometry that is not set up for use in iclone" you mentioned?

*To be noted that some content assets published before iClone 7 launch are made of traditional texture maps (specular workflow), users are required to switch the texture settings to traditional. The light and camera settings depend on users' preferences, therefore we don't provide project with pre-set lights and cameras in the packs. 

@Job,

We will do the quality control in two phases.
1) Before signing contract with 3rd party developer, we will check the quality of content sold in 3rd party store.
2) Before launching, we will check if those content assets really work in iClone. (mesh, texture maps, material settings, etc)

iClone 7 real-time rendering quality is almost identical as in Unreal and in Unity, which has been proved in many of our demo reels, so I'm not sure if this is the case...
Feedback Tracker for content is a good idea, I will suggest team to do it! Thanks!!

Edited
7 Years Ago by Miranda (RL)
rogyru
rogyru
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

@miranda

Thank you for the reply and information its good to know . Proplem i had is with 3d everything home bundle and some other bundles  . Dozens of missing textures and dozens of props with no bump are spec maps and some bad geometry .I also own 3 other bundles by 3d everything and its a common  theme in all of them missing bump spec and diffuse textures . As you mention i understand that they are not PBR  ready and i would have to convert it myself . But compared to other props on sale the textures appear to be very low reseloution and lacking detail . I have added some screen shots i also put in aticket to support with any luck the dev can maybe update his textures. I also added a screen shot of the room once i added cutome textues to  the scence .

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9e251925-4161-4dd1-9aca-7521.png 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/db78a524-e03a-4076-9c51-f37a.png
Custom textures
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/3a2a1df3-54b1-40f2-ab4e-d4cc.png
https://www.reallusion.com/contentstore/FeaturedDeveloper/profile/#!/3DEverything/iClone
Edited
7 Years Ago by rogyrue
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
I've found that often times props not made specifically for iClone, but for general use across platforms, can have very problematic UV's. For iClone, lots of separate maps work better than one big (or not so big) texture atlas. I think the idea of iClone being "real time" is at odds with the requirements for beautiful, highly detailed materials. Because of the "real time", it often gets equated with needing "game ready" materials. In truth, having separate UV maps that allow for tiling of materials, is far more useful for the story-telling nature of iClone. There is really no need for the efficiency of game texturing in iClone. It's not a run-around-fast twitch game!

But having good UVs and the ability to tile all the materials solves both requirements! Small textures and high-resolution through repeating.

For example: A wall material should always be something that can tiled seamlessly, or be able to have a tiling material applied to it. Lots of modularity in UV'ing helps here. 

It looks like you managed to get something that worked well for your needs. Could it be that there was some sort of download glitch that caused some texture map loss?

I do know that when I convert DAZ/Poser props, they often only have a diffuse channel.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Rampa
rogyru
rogyru
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Rampa, I understand about what your saying about Iclone real time animation with relation to textures and material settings  . I guess it depends on what resource you have available to animate and what you want to produce. Personally i think iclone 7 and advancements with modern GPU and prices  have changed all that . If you have a GTX no reason at all you cant be animating detailed scences with quality textures in that have been the norm for a good few years now in other animation tools.

Modern  Lighting and particles look average when they bounce are reflect of a textures thats dull and lifeless and lacks detail. Lucky enough you can do many things  with the new pbr tools inside of iclone 7 when it come to replacing old textures. I done two fresh installs of the products and the textures and bumps still missing might be a problem from the other end maybe the dev missed some tectures when he shipped it out.
thanks
Edited
7 Years Ago by rogyrue

Reading This Topic