Which camera?

Posted By sterlingy 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sterlingy
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I'm trying to figure out which is the BEST camera to get, regardless of price? I assume the BRIO is the better of the webcams that are suggested, but would a 4K GoPro be better?

Has anyone found a relatively inexpensive way to make or buy a headcam?

Stick with the flock, end up a lamb chop!

--------------------- GEAR --------------------
MSI G60 Ghost
AMD 2700X 8 Core @ 4.3GHz Asus Astrix RTX 2080Ti 32GB Ram Samsung 21:9 3440x1440 Monitor
Perception Neuron Mocap (2)

Reallusion Pipeline Suite 3D Studio Max Modo 901 Unreal Engine 4 Zbrush Allegorithmic Substance LIVE Adobe CC

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
From what I understand from the discussion thus far, FPS is more important than resolution, so I don't think the a 4K camera would be advantageous. 

EDIT: Here is some discussion about resolution and FPS: https://forum.reallusion.com/343142/Tracking-FPS-really-low.

I would suggest going through the various threads as they contain useful information based on user experiences. The Logitech 922c is getting positive comments, so it's not always the most expensive that's the best..

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
7 Years Ago by animagic
sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

animagic (9/28/2017)
From what I understand from the discussion thus far, FPS is more important than resolution, so I don't think the a 4K camera would be advantageous. 

EDIT: Here is some discussion about resolution and FPS: https://forum.reallusion.com/343142/Tracking-FPS-really-low.

I would suggest going through the various threads as they contain useful information based on user experiences. The Logitech 922c is getting positive comments, so it's not always the most expensive that's the best..

Thanks. I'll take a look. One thing I noticed is that the GoPro Session 5 has a 1440P60 mode, but I think it's FOV is quite wide, which I think might be another factor to consider.

MSI G60 Ghost
AMD 2700X 8 Core @ 4.3GHz Asus Astrix RTX 2080Ti 32GB Ram Samsung 21:9 3440x1440 Monitor

Reallusion Pipeline Suite 3D Studio Max Modo 901 Unreal Engine 4 Zbrush Allegorithmic Substance LIVE Adobe CC

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
If you want a webcam I don't think you can go wrong with the Logitech 922x (which is what I have).

You'll easily get 60fps, which is all you need, and you can get it under almost no kind of lighting (I just have a single overhead light "sort of" pointing in the right direction).  IIRC, Freerange said the Logitech cameras was what they had the best results, even including MUCH higher priced (and higher res) ones.

Note that while you can *technically* get 90fps with the Brio, in point of fact it's almost impossible (in reviews most folks said the only way to do it is outside, because you need insane amounts of light).

If you have Amazon you can order it (for less than $80) and if you don't like it, return it (which is what I did and I couldn't be happier).  Incidentally, I have tried the GoPro (I own one) as well as a couple of my $$$ SLR cameras (one of which DOES do 120fps) and didn't get any better results (and they were such a PITA I won't do that again).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for the info. I played with the trial last night, using the webcam on my MSI laptop (30fps), which was adequate for testing. It did give me the impression that a Headcam would be best, and I have two perception neuron mocap suits, which I intend to use, so I'm thinking that gopro is probably the best choice. However, I would still like to know if the logitech actually provides better results.

-S

MSI G60 Ghost

Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I have no problem tracking at 90 fps with the Brio, but I have many windows in my studio.  At night , it is a different scenario and I would need to add an overhead diffuse light.  I ask Brian from Faceware Technology , a question about tracking in 90 fps, here is my question and his answer in case it might help others.

Hello Brian,

Just a quick question. At the moment, with the Logitech Brio, I can run Faceware realtime for Iclone at either 60 or 90 fps. Now we both know that Iclone record only at 60 fps. Since I have both options and Iclone seems to be playing the captured motion at the right speed with both fps options, Should I run Faceware realtime for Iclone in 90 fps or 60 fps to have the best capture motion? I have a M.2 SSD and a fast computer.
I have the feeling that when choosing 90 fps, the faster lips are handled better but I am just wondering what happen between both softwares when converting from 90 fps to 60 fps. This info would be valuable to me and other Iclone users.

If your scene in iClone is running at 60fps, you shouldn't see an appreciable difference in the end results on the animation side between using 60 and 90 in Realtime for iClone. You are correct, however, that using a higher frame rate for the tracking can help with the accuracy and would help to prevent the tracking from falling off, as the increased frame rate results in less motion blur and more updates of the tracking data.

Ryzen R9 5950x, RTX 3090, 128Gb Ram ,2 x 2 TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR
Immersive Sound VR on Oculus TV

sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Well, that is some interesting feedback. I've seen people complain about the BRIO, but maybe they just don't have it set up properly. Light is clearly something that needs to be considered for this. Has anyone found a cheap LED lighting panel that they recommend?

-S

MSI G60 Ghost

VirtualMedia
VirtualMedia
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)

It would seem higher than necessary frame rates and res would only slow performance or accuracy, just an opinion I've only used several cams.

Virtual Media® / VTV® / The Virtual Entertainment Network...
http://VTVLive.com
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Yeah, I tried a couple of cameras with frame rates as high as 120fps, and saw no improvement over 60fps (but 60fps IS the way iClone runs, so it makes sense that it's the most optimized for it).

As Brian from FW said, the only real advantage of higher rates is it might not lose the tracking, but I've had no problems along this line at 60fps unless I move my head too far.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

sterlingy (9/28/2017)
I'm trying to figure out which is the BEST camera to get, regardless of price? I assume the BRIO is the better of the webcams that are suggested, but would a 4K GoPro be better?

Has anyone found a relatively inexpensive way to make or buy a headcam?

Ordered a couple of these but haven't received them yet:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Head-Strap-Phone-Holder-Motorcycle-Biking-Racing-Arm-Mount-for-Gopro-Phone-/302053450724?var=&hash=item4653c9e3e4:m:mrITK-tGmTq8zD-wZk6XTBw

Reading This Topic