Justaviking's iClone 7 corner

Posted By justaviking 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Wow, iClone 7 is finally here.  That means, among other things, it's time to start a new "corner" where I can many miscellaneous postings that don't warrant a thread of their own.

I am really excited about iC7.  Wow!  Lots of "Wow!" in this release.

To start my random posts, I need to share a new feature I requested and didn't even realize was released until today.
iC7 supports the $TIME variable for Substances.  That opens a world of possibilities.

I wish they'd send an email to the originator of Feedback Tracker Issues when it changes status.  I was randomly skimming over old Issues I submitted, when the "Released" status of this one caught my eye.  I tested it, and it does indeed work!!!
https://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Issue/Support-the-TIME-variable-for-animated-Substances

What does this mean?  Why care about the $TIME variable?  Well, you know we can apply videos as textures, so you can have an animated texture.  The $TIME variable allows a Substance to change over time, so you can actually have an animated Substance.

I will attempt to attach the "Clouds.sbsar" file.  I'll have to cheat on the file extension.  Download the file, and change the extension back to "Clouds.sbsar" and have fun.

Here is a sample video.

To experience this yourself, simply add a cube (or any other shape) to an iClone project, apply the "cloud" substance, and press Play.  Smile

What besides clouds?
- Caustics on the bottom of your swimming pool (there is a sample that came with Substance Player v5).
- Rain on a window.
- Many possibilities.

THANK YOU, Reallusion development team, for making this work.

P.S.
Here is a free "caustics" substance you can also try:  https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/23

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Attachments
Clouds.sbsar.jpg (273 views, 4.00 KB)
Edited
7 Years Ago by justaviking
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

<Placeholder>
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5718d0f9-7768-45d3-b02f-a5f5.png

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
Galfridus
Galfridus
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Indeed a cause for celebration. Thanks for pointing out this important update Justaviking.
I quickly tested some of my content from the old substance power 200 pack items and things like waves, water droplets, tunnel, burnt film etc. Now perform correctly with their animations.
Along with the great stuff in the new substance pack their is much to explore and enjoy.BigGrin

Geoff.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ba17ca1f-2bbe-4b61-819c-6bdf.png

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 26 minutes ago
But no video textures on characters still, right?

THAT I don't understand, as it would open up SO many possibilities (crying, getting bloody or diseased, etc. etc).  Why is that still impossible?

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Greetings fellow iCloners.

I have a couple information, educational, and entertaining resources I'd like to share with you today.

FILMMAKER IQ

I really enjoy John Hess's "Filmmaker IQ" videos about the film industry.  I love his informative explanations supported by clear graphics and hands-on ("practical" or "live") demonstrations.  I may have mentioned him before, but when I saw a familiar avatar in the comments section, I decided to come here and give him a shout-out.

This one seemed particularly relevant, given recent discussions about DOF.
The Science of Deep Focus and the Hyperfocal Distance:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hdbx1yD4ns

Here is another great one about how the same script can be acted and directed quite differently.
How a Director Stages and Blocks a Scene:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FBnSmbafC8

CHANNEL CRISWELL

This is a new site (to me).  I've only watched a couple of his videos, but I particularly enjoyed the first one I saw.  I've heard about "color" in movies many times, mostly because I enjoy watching the bonus features on the DVDs I buy.  This video, I thought, had excellent examples to go with the narrative explanation.

Colour in Storytelling:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXgFcNUWqX0

Enjoy!  Smile

Edited
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Hey JustaViking,
I've also watched that video lately and have been having a good time using LUTs to get a look I want for a desaturated 70 crime klinda flick.  After watching the video I realized I was needing to re texture several of my characters, sets and props.  I felt like such a production designer!

also liked this info graphic from studiobinder (linked)

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/18fd502e-710c-4539-b851-227c.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Edited
7 Years Ago by thebiz.movies
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@Biz - I'm glad my little post was timely for you, even if it did result in more work for you.  Whistling

The image you posted and the page you linked to look vaguely familiar; I think I've seen it before, but quite a long time ago.  I'll have to give it a good viewing.  Thanks for sharing it.

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 12 minutes ago
Interesting, and timely, about the use of colors. With LUT now available, I want to do more with that in my next movie.

@Kelly: You CAN replace character textures with video (could already in iClone 5). I just tried it and you still can. Didn't it work for you?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 26 minutes ago
animagic (7/31/2017)

@Kelly: You CAN replace character textures with video (could already in iClone 5). I just tried it and you still can. Didn't it work for you?

I wish I could tell you what I was thinking or what I had tried when I couldn't do this -- perhaps I was in Character Creator (haven't tried to see if it works there) or maybe I was just hallucinating, but I could have sworn I tried to do this and couldn't and then, quite a bit later (maybe as long ago as a month) I tried it again and found out I *could* do it.  So I have no explanation (although it's nice to be able to do so).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
paulg625
paulg625
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I watched several of the Film maker IQ videos, haven seen the Studio binder. thanks. can't ever learn enough.

thebiz.movies (7/26/2017)
Hey JustaViking,
I've also watched that video lately and have been having a good time using LUTs to get a look I want for a desaturated 70 crime klinda flick.  After watching the video I realized I was needing to re texture several of my characters, sets and props.  I felt like such a production designer!

also liked this info graphic from studiobinder (linked)

Reading This Topic