Can't invoke codec ERROR on Render

Posted By 51fxdesigner 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
51fxdesigner
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago

I own both Crazytalk 8 PRO and CTA3 Pipeline - despite the correct codecs being installed and verified (Windows 7 SP1 PRO 64-bit -- Nvidia GeForce Drivers -latest installed - 32MB RAM - 5TB HDD storage) - these two packages throw this error on export >> "FAIL TO INVOKE CODEC" - Only codecs that work are: FULL FRAME (uncompressed), DV Video Encoder, MJPEG Compressor - WebM VP8 does NOT work -  Xiph.org Theora Encoder does NOT work.

I have attempted to uninstall / install multiple times - still do NOT work - same error msg.  -- I have other editing tools (NLE After Effects / Premiere / and various 3rd party video converter softwares << These programs recognize the SAME codecs and have no problem invoking them. ONLY YOUR SOFTWARE!!!! Both GSPOT and Sherlock Codec Detective list the codecs / show them installed correctly -- no obvious issues.

I would like a reason for this problem - too often now - Reallusion makes promises for features that simply don't work / are still on the drawing board / coming soon... Either it works as advertised or it doesn't. Before someone from Reallusion says, "Send us your project file - the tests were done with your CANNED mad scientist character for CT8 Pro and G3 - Humans for CTA3 --- obviously something is amiss. The CODECS work with other softwares NO problem - only YOUR software either refuses to invoke the codec OR crashes the applications.

Need some type of resolution here. Too much money spent for software that doesn't work as advertised or promised!!

Edited
7 Years Ago by 51fxdesigner
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Sorry to hear you are having these codec issues.

Does this affect MP4, WMV as well as AVI?

Unfortunately this appears a local system issue rather than a general bug with CrazyTalk 8 or CTA. We can't reproduce the problem so something does seem amiss with the codecs on your system. You could try installing a codec pack like K-Lite to see if resolves the problem. This may help but if you have concerns about installing a codec pack, then please contact our Technical Support department using the link below. They will be able to advise you further.

https://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/UserEx/QForm.aspx

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Edited
7 Years Ago by Peter (RL)
51fxdesigner
51fxdesigner
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)Veteran Member (733 reputation)

Peter,
I appreciate your reply and I must stress I am not necessarily stating CT8 or CTA3 are at fault here.

However, I must point out - I DO have the K-Lite Codec Pack (Version 13.0.0 build/distribution date: March 13th 2017) installed and it does install properly and more importantly - the codecs system register and work.

In conducting a series of tests - the codecs are presented as options for output in both CT8 Pro and CTA3 Pipeline - BUT when selected >> ERROR MSG >> fail to invoke codec appears.

Immediately after THAT error msg. appears with YOUR software - I open the same source video file with a 3rd party conversion software (AVC Professional - among others I have installed) - I have no issues whatsoever converting from/to:
.mkv - .mov - .avi - .mpg - .m4v - .mp4 - .webm - .ogv - .wmv -  and others including HTML 5 compatible output.
SPECIFIC TO YOUR SOFTWARE OPTIONS - WebM vp8 and xiph.org Theora codecs while they do NOT work in YOUR packages - they DO WORK when I use other 3rd party conversion softwares - including the ability to change parameters and other values using these codec's internal control panels (GUI).

The integrity of both my Windows OS and Drivers are intact. Higher end products such as After Effects and NLE Adobe Premiere have no issues either in conversion requests. I have other 3rd party and authoring software that output the same file formats with no issues - it is ONLY CT8 PRO and CTA3 (as well as the demo version of PopVideo 3) that have these issues - therefore my conclusion the problem lies within your output calls and codec starts.

As stated previously - the DV encoder works, as does the uncompressed AVI and MJPEG compressed formats for all Reallusion products.

I would also like to mention I have been creating and authoring media for a variety of applications for 20+ years. I am NOT new to this. And in the interest of full disclosure, I have utilized several workarounds to negate the issue with CT8 Pro and CTA3 Pipeline. It just would be nice to eliminate those extra steps in the interest of a more efficient production run.

I use and recommend your product line on a regular basis - and while the possibility does exist there is nothing wrong with your applications regarding this matter, logic and experience suggest otherwise. Someone on the technical side of Reallusion has an understanding as to the possible scenarios that cause this specific error to be thrown. If someone (from Reallusion) could be more specific as to the reasons - a more plausible approach (on my end) might be a consideration for resolving this issue.

Thank you for your attention and time.
FX Designer
Edited
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi..

Thanks for the feedback. I do understand these problems are extremely frustrating.

However my point is that if this was an issue solely with our products it would affect everyone, or at least a large number of users. As we have no other reports of this error it points to the issue being local sadly. It may be that some codecs required have been overwritten by different versions that are not compatible with CrazyTalk or CTA.

I personally tend to avoid codec packs and stick to a small number of tried and tested codecs and rarely have any problems. I would rather convert to the formats I trust than try to have every codec under the sun installed and supported.

It may be worth uninstalling K-Lite and any other codec packs you have installed and try again. It may be that the codec packs are actually the problem rather than helping. However if you do still have problems, please contact Support as I suggested previously. They may have a solution for the problem.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

51fxdesigner
51fxdesigner
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Hello Peter -

This is not so much about frustration, but rather a situation that is a bit puzzling. I am good at what I do - however, I am not by any means a computer expert. As such - I inquire when I don't readily understand a potential issue or scenario that impacts my work flow.

As stated, this is not the end of the world - I have a viable workaround - and I am able to use the Reallusion products. Curiosity more than anything is the driving force here. Being involved in a specialized design environment and having the 'tools' in place working with a reasonable expectation of reliability, I am reluctant to take a fairly small issue and turn it into a potential of becoming a larger one, by removing items that aside from your product(s) - work very well.

The codecs in place ARE the latest stable editions available - to be honest the codecs installed with CT8 and CTA3 are dated. The VP8 codec dates back to 2011* and the theora codec to 2009*.  (*per xiph.org's archive records).

As a point of emphasis - I do not try to 'stock / use' every codec that may be available across the spectrum of the internet - however being a client-supported entity I DO have to stay aware of trends and on occasion - cater to the specialized / proprietary needs of my clients. You yourself, suggested downloading / using the K-Lite Pack (which I installed literally years earlier prior to contacting Reallusion) and then walked that suggestion back with your last comment.

There is a certain 'gamesmanship' when it comes to striking a balance between the latest 'fad' and proven practices. Codecs fall into that realm of reality. Further experimentation might very well correct this specific issue and at the same time 'BREAK' something else of more value - therefore, while I very much appreciate your input and suggestions, I think I will l pass on trying to resolve what is more an annoyance than an outright 'it breaks my OS...' problem.

regards,
FX Designer
Edited

Reading This Topic