I appreciate your reply and I must stress I am not necessarily stating CT8 or CTA3 are at fault here.
However, I must point out - I DO have the K-Lite Codec Pack (Version 13.0.0 build/distribution date: March 13th 2017) installed and it does install properly and more importantly - the codecs system register and work.
In conducting a series of tests - the codecs are presented as options for output in both CT8 Pro and CTA3 Pipeline - BUT when selected >> ERROR MSG >> fail to invoke codec appears.
Immediately after THAT error msg. appears with YOUR software - I open the same source video file with a 3rd party conversion software (AVC Professional - among others I have installed) - I have no issues whatsoever converting from/to:
.mkv - .mov - .avi - .mpg - .m4v - .mp4 - .webm - .ogv - .wmv - and others including HTML 5 compatible output.
SPECIFIC TO YOUR SOFTWARE OPTIONS - WebM vp8 and xiph.org Theora codecs while they do NOT work in YOUR packages - they DO WORK when I use other 3rd party conversion softwares - including the ability to change parameters and other values using these codec's internal control panels (GUI).
The integrity of both my Windows OS and Drivers are intact. Higher end products such as After Effects and NLE Adobe Premiere have no issues either in conversion requests. I have other 3rd party and authoring software that output the same file formats with no issues - it is ONLY CT8 PRO and CTA3 (as well as the demo version of PopVideo 3) that have these issues - therefore my conclusion the problem lies within your output calls and codec starts.
As stated previously - the DV encoder works, as does the uncompressed AVI and MJPEG compressed formats for all Reallusion products.
I would also like to mention I have been creating and authoring media for a variety of applications for 20+ years. I am NOT new to this. And in the interest of full disclosure, I have utilized several workarounds to negate the issue with CT8 Pro and CTA3 Pipeline. It just would be nice to eliminate those extra steps in the interest of a more efficient production run.
I use and recommend your product line on a regular basis - and while the possibility does exist there is nothing wrong with your applications regarding this matter, logic and experience suggest otherwise. Someone on the technical side of Reallusion has an understanding as to the possible scenarios that cause this specific error to be thrown. If someone (from Reallusion) could be more specific as to the reasons - a more plausible approach (on my end) might be a consideration for resolving this issue.
Thank you for your attention and time.
2 Years Ago by