Profile Picture

Anyone fancy another tutorial? This technique uses no rigging at all!!

Posted By Alan_M 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Anyone fancy another tutorial? This technique uses no rigging at all!!...

Author
Alan_M
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi Everyone,
Demo of an animated rubber tank or excavator track technique using iClone 6 without any rigging at all!!  Came up with this due to a professional previz job I was doing.  No rigging needed.  May do a tutorial if anyone is interested.

Alan M
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I'd be interested Alan if you get enough people to want the tutorial.  Used to have the motorized tools when I first installed iC5 after using the iC4 Trial version, can't find them anymore though.

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Alan_M
Alan_M
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)

Snarp Farkle (2/16/2017)
I'd be interested Alan if you get enough people to want the tutorial.  Used to have the motorized tools when I first installed iC5 after using the iC4 Trial version, can't find them anymore though.

Yeah the Physics Toolkit, which I have is for iClone 5 only.  It obviously predates iClone 6 and the inclusion of Nvidia PhysX and there is no version that uses the new tech sadly.

Oh well!! 

Alan M
wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Alan_M (2/16/2017)
Snarp Farkle (2/16/2017)

Yeah the Physics Toolkit, which I have is for iClone 5 only.  It obviously predates iClone 6 and the inclusion of Nvidia PhysX and there is no version that uses the new tech sadly.

Oh well!! 

you can change the physics to that version in your project settings but its an either or thing per scene.
howerver you can then create clip and bake the physics with the animation to the prop and save it to use in the PhysX versions scenes.

Alan_M
Alan_M
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

[/quote]

"you can change the physics to that version in your project settings but its an either or thing per scene.
howerver you can then create clip and bake the physics with the animation to the prop and save it to use in the PhysX versions scenes."[/quote]

That is a good point, but if you spend a lot of time with the Physics Toolbox you will realise that some of the track arrangements cannot be fully adapted to what you really want from the animation point of view.  I have spent a lot of time in the past with iClone 5 and ToolBox with bouncing treads on my pinion wheels and never managed to get them under full control.  It was however a very cool tool and I did use it a lot back then and did deliver some projects that used that tech.

Would love to see a version running under Nividia PhysX.

Alan M
sjonesdc
sjonesdc
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I would be interested!

sjonesdc Hehe

STILL LEARNING!!!

ccsmith1
ccsmith1
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (188 reputation)Junior Member (188 reputation)Junior Member (188 reputation)Junior Member (188 reputation)Junior Member (188 reputation)Junior Member (188 reputation)Junior Member (188 reputation)Junior Member (188 reputation)Junior Member (188 reputation)

I would love to see another tutorial from you. I was totally blown away with the amount of detail you go thru in your work . I am anxiously awaiting your next tutorial.
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Yes please. Smile And while you are at it could you use the same technique to make round wheels like on a car or motorbike?
Thanks,
TS

Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Alan_M (2/16/2017)

you can change the physics to that version in your project settings but its an either or thing per scene.
howerver you can then create clip and bake the physics with the animation to the prop and save it to use in the PhysX versions scenes.

That is a good point, but if you spend a lot of time with the Physics Toolbox you will realise that some of the track arrangements cannot be fully adapted to what you really want from the animation point of view.  I have spent a lot of time in the past with iClone 5 and ToolBox with bouncing treads on my pinion wheels and never managed to get them under full control.  It was however a very cool tool and I did use it a lot back then and did deliver some projects that used that tech.

Would love to see a version running under Nividia PhysX.

Yeah I see it's still available for purchase and it is noted on the page that it requires the "Bullet Engine" to work in iC6.

"Note:
The Physics Toolbox incorporates the Bullet Engine physics system. iClone 6 users will need to switch from the default PhysX Engine to the Bullet Engine in the Project Settings panel for proper results."

It was fun to play with back then but was too early in my learning curve to be of much use to me then.  I still don't think I would use it much if I bought it but I see that you can buy individual items in the "Master Catalog" if something was to be of use.

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Snarp Farkle
gcshep
gcshep
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago

Hi Alan to me your tutorial are always welcome keep them coming please.

Best Regards

George
   w00t

Reading This Topic