Anyone fancy another tutorial? This technique uses no rigging at all!!

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic316398.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Alan_M - 7 Years Ago
Hi Everyone,
Demo of an animated rubber tank or excavator track technique using iClone 6 without any rigging at all!!  Came up with this due to a professional previz job I was doing.  No rigging needed.  May do a tutorial if anyone is interested.

By Snarp Farkle - 7 Years Ago
I'd be interested Alan if you get enough people to want the tutorial.  Used to have the motorized tools when I first installed iC5 after using the iC4 Trial version, can't find them anymore though.
By Alan_M - 7 Years Ago
Snarp Farkle (2/16/2017)
I'd be interested Alan if you get enough people to want the tutorial.  Used to have the motorized tools when I first installed iC5 after using the iC4 Trial version, can't find them anymore though.

Yeah the Physics Toolkit, which I have is for iClone 5 only.  It obviously predates iClone 6 and the inclusion of Nvidia PhysX and there is no version that uses the new tech sadly.

Oh well!! 

By wendyluvscatz - 7 Years Ago
Alan_M (2/16/2017)
Snarp Farkle (2/16/2017)

Yeah the Physics Toolkit, which I have is for iClone 5 only.  It obviously predates iClone 6 and the inclusion of Nvidia PhysX and there is no version that uses the new tech sadly.

Oh well!! 

you can change the physics to that version in your project settings but its an either or thing per scene.
howerver you can then create clip and bake the physics with the animation to the prop and save it to use in the PhysX versions scenes.
By Alan_M - 7 Years Ago
[/quote]

"you can change the physics to that version in your project settings but its an either or thing per scene.
howerver you can then create clip and bake the physics with the animation to the prop and save it to use in the PhysX versions scenes."[/quote]

That is a good point, but if you spend a lot of time with the Physics Toolbox you will realise that some of the track arrangements cannot be fully adapted to what you really want from the animation point of view.  I have spent a lot of time in the past with iClone 5 and ToolBox with bouncing treads on my pinion wheels and never managed to get them under full control.  It was however a very cool tool and I did use it a lot back then and did deliver some projects that used that tech.

Would love to see a version running under Nividia PhysX.

By sjonesdc - 7 Years Ago
I would be interested!
By ccsmith1 - 7 Years Ago
I would love to see another tutorial from you. I was totally blown away with the amount of detail you go thru in your work . I am anxiously awaiting your next tutorial.
By theschemer - 7 Years Ago
Yes please. Smile And while you are at it could you use the same technique to make round wheels like on a car or motorbike?
Thanks,
TS

By Snarp Farkle - 7 Years Ago
Alan_M (2/16/2017)

you can change the physics to that version in your project settings but its an either or thing per scene.
howerver you can then create clip and bake the physics with the animation to the prop and save it to use in the PhysX versions scenes.

That is a good point, but if you spend a lot of time with the Physics Toolbox you will realise that some of the track arrangements cannot be fully adapted to what you really want from the animation point of view.  I have spent a lot of time in the past with iClone 5 and ToolBox with bouncing treads on my pinion wheels and never managed to get them under full control.  It was however a very cool tool and I did use it a lot back then and did deliver some projects that used that tech.

Would love to see a version running under Nividia PhysX.

Yeah I see it's still available for purchase and it is noted on the page that it requires the "Bullet Engine" to work in iC6.

"Note:
The Physics Toolbox incorporates the Bullet Engine physics system. iClone 6 users will need to switch from the default PhysX Engine to the Bullet Engine in the Project Settings panel for proper results."

It was fun to play with back then but was too early in my learning curve to be of much use to me then.  I still don't think I would use it much if I bought it but I see that you can buy individual items in the "Master Catalog" if something was to be of use.
By gcshep - 7 Years Ago

Hi Alan to me your tutorial are always welcome keep them coming please.

Best Regards

George
   w00t

By dogged2003 - 7 Years Ago
I am very interested in this tutorial.
By RoGrie - 7 Years Ago
Hi Alan, it will be fine to look at this tutorial
best regards
Roland
By Alan_M - 7 Years Ago
OK well I had better get on with it then.  Should be able to post over the weekend as unlike the previous tutorial on the Towel Rail I did not have to figure it out as I went along.  I have already got this working so just a case of recording and presenting it in a reasonable fashion.
By Rampa - 7 Years Ago
Looking forward to seeing how your doing the tracks! Smile
By yoyomaster - 7 Years Ago
+1 here! Smile
By Alan_M - 7 Years Ago
OK here it is folks.  No where near as long as the last Towel tutorial thankfully.  Hopefully some find it useful until iClone 7 comes along.
Had some fun at the front end with CrazyTalk 8 so please forgive me for that.

By animagic - 7 Years Ago
Very clear tutorial, Alan.

One thing I seem to remember when using tessellation is to turn tessellation shadow on in the preferences.
Great tutorial Alan. Only thing I wanted to mention is in the beginning you can see the whole IClone window and after half way through, you are clicking on things off-screen. Not a big deal as I know what you were clicking but a noob may not. I liked it a lot. I suppose round tracks (tires) could be made using the same technique correct?
Thanks,
TS
By Rampa - 7 Years Ago
That's really cool Alan! The displacement really makes it work well.
By gcshep - 7 Years Ago
Cheers Alan great tutorial I echo what the theschemer had to say regarding recording settings.

Best Regards

George
By mtakerkart - 7 Years Ago
Thank you very much Alan. I think That animating texture is really under used in Iclone. It's a powerfull feature to animate shape. Very usefull for liquid, sand , lava etc...
By mark - 7 Years Ago
Another Super Tute! Thanks Alan!!!BigGrin
By Alan_M - 7 Years Ago
theschemer (2/20/2017)
Great tutorial Alan. Only thing I wanted to mention is in the beginning you can see the whole IClone window and after half way through, you are clicking on things off-screen. Not a big deal as I know what you were clicking but a noob may not. I liked it a lot. I suppose round tracks (tires) could be made using the same technique correct?
Thanks,
TS

Yeah, sorry about that.  That was actually deliberate on my part.  I have a bad tenancy to to waggle my mouse cursor a lot.  So the capture software naturally pics this up and follows my inane movements around.  So I was trying to hide this by turning off the display of the mouse cursor when I wanted to use box highlights.  So I was not off screen but you could see were my cursor was going by where it passed over on the interface even though it was hidden.  

I will do my best to do better, all I can say in my defence is that these tutorials are not commercial, its not like I am charging for them or anything and when you are mixing things with your day job you sometimes let the side down.  Again, my apologies.
By Alan_M - 7 Years Ago
animagic (2/20/2017)
Very clear tutorial, Alan.

One thing I seem to remember when using tessellation is to turn tessellation shadow on in the preferences.

Very good point, I completely forgot about that one.  For those not in the know it basically means the tessellated item casts correct displaced shadows in the environment.

Cheers animagic.
Alan_M (2/20/2017)
theschemer (2/20/2017)
Thanks,
TS

Yeah, sorry about that.  That was actually deliberate on my part.  I have a bad tenancy to to waggle my mouse cursor a lot.  So the capture software naturally pics this up and follows my inane movements around.  So I was trying to hide this by turning off the display of the mouse cursor when I wanted to use box highlights.  So I was not off screen but you could see were my cursor was going by where it passed over on the interface even though it was hidden.  

I will do my best to do better, all I can say in my defence is that these tutorials are not commercial, its not like I am charging for them or anything and when you are mixing things with your day job you sometimes let the side down.  Again, my apologies.

Alan,
  No need to apologize. I love all your tutorials and I understand you are doing this for free. Keep up the most excellent work. Smile
TS