is there a bone naming conversion list or chart

Posted By Ibis Fernandez 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Ibis Fernandez
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Wanted to ask if there is anything that has a bone naming convention chart or a list that somehow illustrates the naming system use in G3 armatures.
Maybe something that either defined or at least would allow for a more clear way or renaming G2 body parts into the corresponding G3 bones and pivots/nubs names. 

Also, is the G3 naming convention open or closed? By open i mean, does it follow some kind of logical pattern where new bones/bodyparts can be created in the photoshop file and have the data properly translated into cta3. (for example, if i wanted to create a character with 4 arms could i do it if were to follow the hierarchy pattern in the established naming convention? Or is it closed, where the names are basically hard coded and limited to the standard bipedal and worm templates armatures?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ad51c90b-00a8-459d-8ca4-2136.gif
Ibis Fernandez   |   (available for hire)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Professional Animator, Filmmaker | Creator of the highest quality (modular) G2 rigs for cartoon animator and developer of Toon Titan and Puppet Producer 
Author of Flash Animation and Cartooning: A Creative Guide
>>> be sure to check out http://toontitan.com for professional grade assets, templates, and custom tools for Cartoon Animator and more.
jlittle
jlittle
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I believe that the naming structure is open.
I added a second set of arms to the human template, copied over the QQ images, and imported into CTA3.1 and everything worked fine.
The bone structure followed my new names for the second arm.

As long as you adhere to the "<root>_ex_<child>" format using unique names it seems to work fine.

Jeff

Get my Plugin Manager and TaskNotes plugins for iClone.
Check out EZColors and Other products for CTA/CA. EZColors: the easy way to change Render Styled (RS) colors!
See my CTA Tutorials on the YouTube channel CTAStepByStep

Ibis Fernandez
Ibis Fernandez
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
That's great news! That means its perfectly possible exploit this to just build an app similar to iclone's character creator, from within Photoshop itself. 
Additionally if the naming convention can be translated from the g2 names to g3 names, it would also make it feasible to create a script that would convert any g2 motion file into a g3 compatible one. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ad51c90b-00a8-459d-8ca4-2136.gif
Ibis Fernandez   |   (available for hire)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Professional Animator, Filmmaker | Creator of the highest quality (modular) G2 rigs for cartoon animator and developer of Toon Titan and Puppet Producer 
Author of Flash Animation and Cartooning: A Creative Guide
>>> be sure to check out http://toontitan.com for professional grade assets, templates, and custom tools for Cartoon Animator and more.

Reading This Topic