Kinect and iClone 7?

Posted By eternityblue 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
eternityblue
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I just ordered a used 360 Kinect for cheap on impulse BigGrin so now I guess I'll be buying the Kinect plugin at some stage. I am just wondering what to expect, I am not expecting miricles, and particularly I am wondering about the upper body animation. What would be ideal, but I totally don't expect, would be the facial mocap could capture simultaneously with the Kinect. I fully understand if that is not feasible right now. Since iC7 is supposed to have all the functionality of 6, I expect Kinect support to continue, but is there any reason that could be incorrect? Is there any big issue with it being a 360 vs a newer model?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Yeah, I just thought real quick and cancelled the 360 version, I think I better plan for the future and get a current version. I'm still interested in Kinect mocap, so please let me know what to expect, what to get, any tips, or horror stories. Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited
7 Years Ago by eternityblue
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
There have been quite a number of discussions about the Kinect and the results vary. Member Jason Brown (who doesn't visit much anymore) has had acceptable results and reported about that. The newer Kinect has a better camera so would give better results.

3DTest has published a method to reduce some of the jitter.

If I remember it right, the idea is to shorten the animation clip, save it with Collect Clip, reload it, shorten it again and save it again with Collect Clip.  Load the shortened clip and expand it to its original length (you may have to save, reload, and expand again). This will get rid of the key-frame-for-every-frame in the original clip. With the keyframes in the clip more spread out, iClone's built-in smoothing can do its job.

EDIT: Updated the procedure. See also the link to the video in my post further down.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
7 Years Ago by animagic
AlanN
AlanN
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (581 reputation)Veteran Member (581 reputation)Veteran Member (581 reputation)Veteran Member (581 reputation)Veteran Member (581 reputation)Veteran Member (581 reputation)Veteran Member (581 reputation)Veteran Member (581 reputation)Veteran Member (581 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
iClone 7 software page has the Kinect mocap device listed in plugins    * Works with iClone PRO 6.21 above & iClone 7

It looks like according to latest iClone 7 released video facial mocap is being done with an attached webcam instead of the Kinect and requires an additional paid for plugin.

My little old iClone 6  project has me using the Kinect  (Xbox one version with PC adapter) this week for the first time, fingers crossed.

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I found 3DTest's video that describes the procedure to reduce the jitter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV_cwq9Jg0s. Also read the comments with the video for some further tips.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Space 3D
Space 3D
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Dear iCloner ,
Kinect Camera for Motion Capture is better   :
- Kinect 360 and Xbox one ( Kinect for windows )  is good for capture on 30 Fps .
- iClone Kinect plugin will better on same 30 Fps.   IF deference speed  -------> trouble smooth and jittering .
- Kinect 360 use kinect for windows SDK 1.8
- Kinect Xbox One use kinect for windows SDK  2

My question is ---------> iClone Kinect Plugin work on ..... Speed ?  ( Look on 24 Fps ) this problem not smooth and jitter .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit Space 3D Gallery - http://city.reallusion.com/store/space3D
eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I'm also wondering if the Kinect camera can be used with the facial mo cap,  which is preferred, I only want to buy one peripheral and deal with one strange eye staring at me from across the desk. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rampa
This post has been flagged as an answer
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 54 minutes ago
The facial mocap uses regular old 2d video. It actually works fine with standard def (640 by 480). I know the Kinect (newer one) records 1080p video as well as depth, so if you have access to that video stream, it will work.

I'm choosing to record my video with my phone, or small portable camera. That way I'm not tied to my desk.

As for doing actual body mocap with the Kinect, the Brekel Pro Body is about the best software you can get for it. I would get that and convert the files with 3DX. They convert really easily.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 54 minutes ago
Space 3D (1/30/2017)
Dear iCloner ,
Kinect Camera for Motion Capture is better   :
- Kinect 360 and Xbox one ( Kinect for windows )  is good for capture on 30 Fps .
- iClone Kinect plugin will better on same 30 Fps.   IF deference speed  -------> trouble smooth and jittering .
- Kinect 360 use kinect for windows SDK 1.8
- Kinect Xbox One use kinect for windows SDK  2

My question is ---------> iClone Kinect Plugin work on ..... Speed ?  ( Look on 24 Fps ) this problem not smooth and jitter .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit Space 3D Gallery - http://city.reallusion.com/store/space3D

The original kinect was only 30 FPS capture. I Think the second one does 60FPS.
Edited
7 Years Ago by rampa
hattori kun
hattori kun
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
rampa (1/30/2017)
The facial mocap uses regular old 2d video. It actually works fine with standard def (640 by 480). I know the Kinect (newer one) records 1080p video as well as depth, so if you have access to that video stream, it will work.

I'm choosing to record my video with my phone, or small portable camera. That way I'm not tied to my desk.

As for doing actual body mocap with the Kinect, the Brekel Pro Body is about the best software you can get for it. I would get that and convert the files with 3DX. They convert really easily.

Ipisoft is much better than Brekel.
Most mocap solutions using microsoft kinect sdk like brekel, iclone kinect, etc can't deal with occluded parts of the body.
You will always have to face the camera to do any motion capture which is limiting. If you cross your arms in front of your body the kinect sdk will not get it.
Ipisoft uses dual kinects for real 3d depth information.

Reading This Topic