iClone Running In A Virtual Machines

Posted By Lord Ashes 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
I have one of my two iClone/3DXChange licenses installed on my main desktop where I use it most of the time. However for travel purpose I have created a Virtual Machine, on a portable USB 3.0 drive, with iClone/3DXChange installed using my second license. In VirtualBox this worked for iClone when running in DirectX 9 mode (I never got the experimental updated DirectX driver to work properly in order to run iClone and 3DXChange in more recent DirectX mode) but 3DXchange6 required more up-to-date drivers and thus would not run. So, instead, I switched to VMPlayer which seemed to allow both iClone and 3DXChange to work.

Recently my Virtual Machine with the installation was corrupted and I needed to recreate it. When I re-installed iClone and 3DXChange, I received a message indicating that the software cannot run in a Virtual Machine.

Does anyone know if there was some anti-VM check added in the 6.52 patches or is this a VMPlayer error indicating that my process for setting up the VM was different than before?

If there was some anti-VM check added in the 6.52 patches, what was the reason? It seems like it was not there before. Was it done to combat illegal duplication of licensed versions of the software? It seems to me that there are legit reasons for wanting to run iClone/3DXchange in a VM. Two, off the top of my head, are: Travel (as in my case) and running RL software from a non-Windows machine (such as a Mac).

Anyone have some insight on this?      

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
wires
wires
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Maybe Reallusion took note when you publicly stated that you could produce useable illegal copies of their software for distribution and decided to apply the breaks to any intended action. BigGrinTongueHehe

Seriously though, I suspect that the problem is with the VM setup. You may have had luck with your first setup, because RL have never stated that their software can be run on a VM - AFAIK. Most MAC owners are running Windows software under Bootcamp.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

wires (11/15/2016)
Maybe Reallusion took note when you publicly stated that you could produce useable illegal copies of their software for distribution and decided to apply the breaks to any intended action. BigGrinTongueHehe

Could be. However that was why I was suggesting other methods of controlling illegal reproduction as opposed to making it not run on a VM. Now when I travel I will need to move my second license to whatever computer I will be using instead of just having it on a nice portable drive.

wires (11/15/2016)
Seriously though, I suspect that the problem is with the VM setup. You may have had luck with your first setup, because RL have never stated that their software can be run on a VM - AFAIK. Most MAC owners are running Windows software under Bootcamp.

Most software does not advertise that it can run on VMs. A good VM is technically supposed to mimic the OS so that the virtualization is transparent to the software running on it (i.e. the software should not know that it is running on a VM). In any case, I will try installing one more time...maybe I did set some settings incorrectly.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 29 minutes ago
I remember reading that for those on a Mac that wanted to run iClone on a virtual machine that it was not supported. That was a long time before IC 6.52.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I had some excellent success with VMs for business ("work") purposes, but my at-home experimentation ran into a little complication...

In short, the VM didn't have full access to the graphics card.  I didn't research it to death, but I think the primary OS would claim the graphics card, and then the VM only had limited graphics resources available.  I don't remember if it was iClone or my NLE I was working with at the time (or something else).

Anyway... I'm sure there are solutions to that problem, but I can see that situation being a problem for something like iClone.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Dan Miller
Dan Miller
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Did you guys find a solution? I started using cloud computing rather than a new build. The only problem I've run into so far is getting iClone 7 installed. It says VM and will not install. CC3 and other RL products install and run just fine. Unity, Adobe, and many others work just fine and I'm not trying to circumvent licensing. I have one install on my old PC and one on my Shadow PC.

Shadow PC
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Unfortunately, none of our products are supported under virtual machine software. 

Previously a user would just encounter errors without knowing the reason. Now if virtual machine software is detected it will throw up an error to let you know. 

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

GreedyPeopleSuck
GreedyPeopleSuck
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (3/4/2019)
Unfortunately, none of our products are supported under virtual machine software. 

Previously a user would just encounter errors without knowing the reason. Now if virtual machine software is detected it will throw up an error to let you know. 

So many contradictions. https://forum.reallusion.com/81262/CrazyTalk-Animator-Now-Works-With-Mac-Virtual-Machines
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
GreedyPeopleSuck (6/20/2019)
Peter (RL) (3/4/2019)

So many contradictions. https://forum.reallusion.com/81262/CrazyTalk-Animator-Now-Works-With-Mac-Virtual-Machines

That post was made 8 years ago and is about CrazyTalk Animator 1 so is a little out of date now. It also has nothing to do with iClone. Ermm

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

NavyCorpsman
NavyCorpsman
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (73 reputation)New Member (73 reputation)New Member (73 reputation)New Member (73 reputation)New Member (73 reputation)New Member (73 reputation)New Member (73 reputation)New Member (73 reputation)New Member (73 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Would be nice if you could fess up and simply say Realusion nolonger allows running under VM for security reasons.
I also know older releases use to work under VM but obviouslycurrent  realusion install now checks for running under VM and dissallowes it.
Nothing wrong or bad to say it is for security or piracy reasons. That's normal for modern day quality software.

Reading This Topic