iClone - starter questions

Posted By Danny_B 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Danny_B
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi all,

I'm considering using iClone to produce an animated fantasy series.  Specifically, I'm looking at getting the 'CC Essential Complete Bundle', which includes 3Dxchange and the CC Essentials pack.  However, I'd like to check that it'll do what I need it to do.

Firstly, I'm planning to have a race of fairies alongside humans.  These fairies will be about 1 foot tall.  To this end, I'd like to ask:
- Does iClone support scaled characters?
- Am I able to create extra appendages (e.g. fairy wings) and add them to characters?

I'd also like to create custom terrain for the setting.  To this end, I was thinking of creating a mesh in Blender, adding textures, then importing it into iClone.  Would this be doable?
LP_movies/tvs
LP_movies/tvs
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/dc777c6b-2075-47ac-8be7-15c6.png
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
All of these things are possible with the package your looking to get.

CC Skin and Morph Essentials has a scale morph that makes it very easy. Just moving the slider will not get it down to one foot, but you can type in a scale number that will get it that small. I have made characters that small for a project that has yet to come to fruition. There are also "Elf ear" morphs if you want to use them.

Wings can be added as accessories, and can have animations. You could import wings through 3DXchange, or use some existing ones. There are some different options in the Marketplace, and some freebie angel wings from RL.

Any mesh that you import can be used as terrain, and multiple meshes can be used for the terrain if needed.

That would be a good package! Welcome to iClone! Smile
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Also, if you are making videos then the requirements are not the same as with making games.
In videos it is nice to have 3D landscapes, characters, objects etc etc. But in videos it is not essential that everything be 3d.
For example, your fairies could be videos of a full sized chatacter with a green background.
Use the pop video tool to make the background transparent and then add the video to a flat surface, scale it and key frame it for movement.
The fairy could then look as tiny as you need when your scene needs the fairy and the human (or whatever) together.
In scenes where it is just the fairies then they don't really need to be small.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that is how it should be done. I am just trying to point out possibilities. iClone is a great tool for producing films or short video's

Also I have done some experimenting using 2D images for backgrounds in scenes
Here is one where I cut a photo up into parts and set them around so they kind of look 3D (3D enough for this test at least)
1 3D car, 2 3D characters and everything else is from a photo

And here is another photo I cut up and used some very basic 3D shapes to add the mountains as textures

Also, I didn't put much effort into these. I was just testing out some ideas to see how they look
Again, I am not saying that's how you should do it. Just point out that iClone has lots of options, lots of ways to make your videos.

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Danny_B
Danny_B
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)

Thanks for all the replies.  I am setting these stories in 'the valley kingdom', so I may use photo backdrops for the mountains themselves.

As for iClone, I have a couple more questions:
- What sort of particle effects does it support?  I'm thinking of a sort of border effect around objects that are being manipulated by magic.

- Is it possible to create custom gestures?  I have a few in mind for greetings, etc.
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

iClone comes with some particle effects
You can make your own particle effects http://manual.reallusion.com/iClone_6/ENU/Pro_6.0/default.html
and you can buy particle effects http://city.reallusion.com/store/BiggsTrek

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Oh. And yes you can make your own animations. Instructions also in the online documentation

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

and some links to video tutorials that you should find helpful

https://www.youtube.com/user/Reallusion/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKtjihhZQ_qmxEmbBzxt-nQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCglLKh0PCoG2APu184bnaGQ

and these are mostly iclone4 and iclone 5 but there is still some useful info here
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1SGhoB_PxAbh0xqRjq0Nxw

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Rogue Anime
Rogue Anime
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

I have a question - trying to find where to post s new thread on tutorial comment - It would be helpful if our faithful & fearless Reallusion teacher/narrator would introduce each tutorial by addressing first what is needed from the content store, etc. beyond the basic package of program purchase so that we can follow more easily without having to improvise on the fly? If this comment could make it up the chain, it would be well received. ~V~

Val RogueAnanda
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e82de505-c57a-40b9-8cb0-9f87.png

Rogue Anime
Rogue Anime
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

I have a question - trying to find where to post s new thread on tutorial comment - It would be helpful if our faithful & fearless Reallusion teacher/narrator would introduce each tutorial by addressing first what is needed from the content store, etc. beyond the basic package of program purchase so that we can follow more easily without having to improvise on the fly? If this comment could make it up the chain, it would be well received. ~V~

Val RogueAnanda
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e82de505-c57a-40b9-8cb0-9f87.png

Reading This Topic