Simple Bodysuit With Blender Tutorial

Posted By Rampa 8 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 4 votes.
Author
Cary B
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 minutes ago
I have also had issues with CC crashing when I try to bring in the fbx file from Blender. One weird thing I noticed is that the fbx templates from RL do not show the armature or the skeleton in Blender. It is there there in your tutorial, but not when I open them in Blender. The scene tree shows it, but clicking the little eyeball does nothing to turn it on or off. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/848c8492-ac67-42c2-9d27-461e.jpg

Cary B
Cary B
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Just checked and updated my Blender version. The new version does show the bones. 

Cary B
Cary B
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The new version version of Blender seems to have solved my crashing problems as well. I just want to say thanks, Rampa, for this tutorial and all your other great help to inexperienced users like myself. 

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Shadoesword (8/25/2016)
I have also had issues with CC crashing when I try to bring in the fbx file from Blender. One weird thing I noticed is that the fbx templates from RL do not show the armature or the skeleton in Blender. It is there there in your tutorial, but not when I open them in Blender. The scene tree shows it, but clicking the little eyeball does nothing to turn it on or off. 

Just in case those pesky bones go hiding again, there is an option to set them to X-ray. That is what makes them show through the body and clothing.

Oh, and glad the tutorial is helpful! Smile

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/35ef7335-8ca7-4f80-acb8-c92a.jpg
Cary B
Cary B
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Rampa. I now have another question about Character Creator, probably something simple I am overlooking. 

I watched a tutorial for the mesh editing in CC, using the calibration poses. It worked fine in the tutorial. But when I try to edit a mesh in a calibration pose, it reverts automatically to the T-pose. What am I doing wrong? 

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I have followed the Bodysuit tutorial and was able to reproduce the results with no issue. Excellent tutorial.

However, the one key point which that tutorial dodges, which is eluding me, is that the mesh does not need to be added to the armature because copying the mesh from the original character mesh (which was already attached to the armature) causes the new mesh to also be attached to the armature. This is great if you want to make body tight clothing like the bodysuit but in most cases you want to use a custom mesh which you would attach to the CC character armature.

I am a Blender newbie but I searched the internet for the steps on how to do this using Blander's auto weight function.

As such, I did:

1. Imported CC template FXB file into Blender
2. Imported my custom mesh as an OBJ into Blender
3. Selected the custom mesh and shift selected the armature
4. Used CTRL+P and selected Armature with Auto Weights

This produced an armature with the custom mesh attached to it. Using the wrench icon, I verified that the custom mesh now had a armature modifier (same as the tutorial for the bodysuit).

The problem that I have run into is that when I exported the results using the same settings as the bodysuit tutorial, the resulting FXB will not import into CC. It keeps giving me a "Failed To Load The File" error. From the fact that the bodysuit tutorial worked for me, it seems that there is some issue with the mapping of the mesh to the armature using the automatic weights function. Of course, being a Blender newbie it could be an issue with my process as opposed to an actual problem with Blender.

Has anyone been able to do this in blender? If so, is there something in my steps that I am doing incorrectly?

Any assistance in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

You need to parent with empty groups instead, and then transfer the weights from the body mesh. 

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Thanks for the quick reply. I will review the provided tutorial and hopefully that will resolve my issue. Thanks.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I have followed the tutorial but when I get to the Transfer Weights my Blender (v 2.77) has somewhat different options. It seems that the defaults are not the correct settings because after I Transfer Weights (from the CC Body to my Cloth) then when I pose the character (as per the tutorial) the Cloth does not move with the rig (bones).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c2fb7ced-33ba-4111-b6ea-de45.png 

Any idea what the Blender 2.77 settings should be?

UPDATE: I got it working. I am not sure if my problem was that I was selecting multiple CC meshes for the Weight Transfer or that the setting needs to be changed to "Source: By Name, Dest: All Layers".

Edited
8 Years Ago by Lord Ashes
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cda52b06-7724-4e03-965b-49b3.jpg

Your getting really close! Smile

Reading This Topic