Blender Workflow

Posted By Miranda (RL) 8 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Snarp Farkle
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I'm trying to establish a DAZ/Blender/CC work flow using purchased DAZ clothing items to use and/or modify in Content Creator, but have run across a few issues.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Smile

Disregard Issue 1, it became Issue 3.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6930ec17-b4c2-4c9d-a106-3f79.jpg

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Edited
8 Years Ago by Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Still having issues, thought I had a workaround but this is what I ended up with;

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b5575c2e-4f01-41cd-87bf-83fd.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2915285a-ed0a-4095-8efd-4be7.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/45fc9a9e-65de-43b9-bdc4-66a0.jpg

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Miranda (RL) (7/18/2016)
Tips: Transfer skin weights (by rampa)

?Transfer the weights as normal.?
Don't delete any groups.
Now select your skeleton and set it to pose mode, then select the armor again (it's still in weight paint mode).
Cntrl-Click on the head bone to select it. You'll see the weighting like your image showed.
In the tools panel, click on "Levels", and set the "Gain" value to zero.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/00ae7776-9edc-431f-a9c6-64dc.jpg

This must be where I am missing a step, I cannot get to this point because I cannot select both the clothing item and the Armature or even see the armature as shown in some of these videos to get to this point.  And what is a normal weights transfer, if I follow the steps laid out in the tuts I still end up with the cloth separated from the imported CC fbx.

Galfridus
Galfridus
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
@Snarp Farkle

The following seems to be working for me.....

I`m using Daz 4.9 and dress my Genesis or Genesis 2 before export to .fbx 2012.

Everything comes into 3DX6.5 from that .fbx and the pose gets auto corrected.

I select the required clothing mesh in 3DX6.5 tree and export via the export mesh command. This produces an .obj file and the textures.

I use Blender 2.77a and have set it up using the excellent advice from Rampa in these 2 vids he produced

Setting Up Blender For Easier Use :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7KusxNlXfs

Blender Texture Display:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChtK2Ckgdeo

I additionally added the RL Base body template before saving the Blender  start up file.

This means Blender loads ready for me to begin to import  the clothing .obj file.

Rampa again provided great support in his vid:-
Scale Those Blender Clothes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oef-GBcgo18

The problem then comes for me in that the vid by Alimayo Arango
How To Attach Clothes To A Rigged Character Mesh In Blender 2.73
Does not work for Blender 2.77a

However I found the following procedure to follow:-
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34719718/transferring-rig-weights-from-one-mesh-to-another-in-blender-2-76/34760742#34760742
This has worked for me with Blender 2.77a

I can export an .fbx from blender (remembering to deselect add leaf bones) which will load to continue the create clothes routine over in in CC 1.5.

I don`t know how to weight paint yet so the cloth just gets a copy of the body weights. For long robes, tunics etc this is a problem but I added some Soft cloth weight maps ( I can do that)  in Iclone to over come this.

This may not be the best or even correct way to do this but (despite not really understanding what I am doing) I can make it work.
If I load an earlier generation Iclone avatar into 3DX6.5 I can use the same method get clothes from them too. This is important for me as I have considerably more RL Clothing than Daz.

Good luck

Geoff.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ba17ca1f-2bbe-4b61-819c-6bdf.png

Edited
8 Years Ago by Galfridus
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank you Galfridus, I will try your workflow. Smile

I picked the robe on purpose knowing it would be harder to do than... say a shirt, my thoughts were if I could do one of the hardest items first the rest would be easy! Crazy  I will move into creating my own assets one day, but for now I just want to learn more by utilizing items I already have, your method looks promising, thanks again for the tip! Smile

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Geoff, sending it to 3DX is very clever. No posing in DAZ needed, or anything! Smile
Galfridus
Galfridus
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

rampa (8/1/2016)
Geoff, sending it to 3DX is very clever. No posing in DAZ needed, or anything! Smile

Thank you Rampa.
I owe you a huge debt of gratitude. It`s your tutorials that made it possible for me to even attempt this sort of thing with blender.
Using Daz with 3DX6.5 in the initial stages of the work flow was simply a case of me resorting to familiar routines when so much of the following process was so strange and new.
Geoff.

Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@Galfridus
I tried using your method only difference is I am using DAZ 4.8.  I went through all the steps but when I come to the end of "using the data transfer modifier" link you provided and this statement;
"Lastly, enter object mode > select your piece of clothing and then shift select your rig > CNTRL+P > with empty groups. And wa-lah!" 

This is where I keep getting hung up because no matter what key combination I try I cannot select both the clothing item and the rig to continue on with the tuts.  I'm obviously missing some thing or lacking an add on, something.  I've tried with a skirt too with the same results, I'm at a loss here, very frustrating. Sad

Skuzzlebutt
Skuzzlebutt
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Galfridus (8/1/2016)
@Snarp Farkle

I select the required clothing mesh in 3DX6.5 tree and export via the export mesh command. This produces an .obj file and the textures.

very cool tip!
do you mind if i include that when i update the 3ds max tut to a audio version?

Edited
8 Years Ago by budbundy
Galfridus
Galfridus
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

budbundy (8/2/2016)
Galfridus (8/1/2016)
@Snarp Farkle

very cool tip!
do you mind if i include that when i update the 3ds max tut to a audio version?

By all means please do Budbundy if you think it will help others.
Geoff.

Reading This Topic