Posted By Alon Dan 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Idea.png
Alon Dan
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hey All,
I've created a character using Character Creator, and I really amazed by the Realtime Smooth it looks really great.

The thing is, after export to .FBX via 3DXchange to Unreal Engine 4, The beautiful Realtime Smooth is gone... and I'm stuck with the more primitive old-style polygons inside Unreal Engine.

I'm guessing it is only for working inside iClone animations which is great!
And I'm animating in iClone but I want to render in Unreal Engine because... well, it looks different (PBR, Lights, Reflection, Fog, Particles, etc.. you got the idea.) 
I'm aware that some time in the future iClone will have an awesome PBR built-in and I can't wait to try it out! but for now I'm using UE4.

My Question is:
Is there an option in 3DXchange that can export out the FBX with the smoothness or tessellation that iClone and Character Creator makes?
I know that Unreal Engine can handle millions of polygons with no problem (did some tests, wow!) so it won't be a problem.

I looked for an option like Realtime Smooth inside Unreal Engine 4 to enable but couldn't find anything like that on the properties, or tutorials so if anybody have a clue how can I export the the animated characters FBX files including the Realtime Smooth option it will be MAGIC!

Please let me know, It will make a BIG difference in my upcoming project!
Sorry about my bad English and Thanks ahead Smile

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/3c41ff46-2c8d-42b4-821b-4471.png

Alon Dan
This post has been flagged as an answer
Alon Dan
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
SOLUTION!

It seems like I just messed up too much with the material, IT IS VERY SIMPLE!

This is how it works:
1 - Inside UE4, choose the material you want to add tessellation, double click to edit the material.
2 - Click on the main material box if it's not selected.
3 - On the right details tab, scroll down under Tessellation choose PN Triangles.
4 - Apply, let UE4 re-calculate the material and BOOM! you got a Realtime Smooth!

I hope this thread will help many others Smile

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e22940c-64bf-438a-a3f7-c92a.jpg

The Result:
This example is only for the head, you can do this to any material you wish, AMAZING!
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ec1e188a-3fe4-4896-b9b6-6cef.jpg

Edited
8 Years Ago by Alon Dan

Reading This Topic