Profile Picture

3D Heads from Real Human Photos - Realistic Human 100 (2016/03)

Posted By Peter (RL) 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

3D Heads from Real Human Photos - Realistic Human 100 (2016/03)

Author
Jonathan (RL)
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (213 reputation)Junior Member (213 reputation)Junior Member (213 reputation)Junior Member (213 reputation)Junior Member (213 reputation)Junior Member (213 reputation)Junior Member (213 reputation)Junior Member (213 reputation)Junior Member (213 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
rainwebs (4/24/2016)
Has anybody used it with Crazy Talk 8.02 on a Mac? Drag'n'Drop doesn't work. Import via menu doesn't work. Any hints on this? Any posibility to get preview icons in the folders?

Hi, rainwebs
Thanks for response of this issue.
Please upgrade your CrazyTalk to v8.03 and try again.
In v8.03, you can preview images of RLHead files in Finder.

If drag n drop or import files cannot work well in v8.03, please feedback your issue through customer service.
Thank you veruy much.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)

I downloaded the update for CC3 and it works very well.

But I do want to comment on the quality here.  Maps are 2K, not 4K. 
Now, the fact that these are 2K is understandable, given that CC1/CC2 had the max 2K. 
So now, CC3 does not have that limit...however, in the CC3 re-release update the maps are still 2K.
But...Okay, older product....fine.

So, I was thinking, maybe, just maybe, I could ask for a 4K version...

BUT!!!
What I now see is there is something much worse, on design.  I want to point this out to prevent it from happening again.
Because it looks almost as if design had blurred the images as you approach the outer edges of the face....UGH....
It looks bad.  
You have these realistic features, and even in 2K it's okay from far, but then you get this blurry blended edge on the face that reduces what otherwise would have been decent realistic texture.
I see now, it could be re-released at 4K, 8K, 10K, 1,000,000K...but it wouldn't matter, because the blur is still there and just multiplied size wise....so, no good...

Please PLEEEEEEEEASE....
if you ever release an update pack or successor version-
DO NOT DO THAT. 
DO NOT ADD IN BLUR ON THE FACE.
You take away the realism by blurring out parts of the face.  I can see if you do the very-very edge, but not far into the face!
PLEASE don't put blur on the face. 
Not on this type of product.
And I love obscuration...but not here. 

If it could be rel-released at 4K, AND without the Blur...now that would be amazing!!!!!
I'm thinking the files as designed in PS/GIMP must have had an original full-detail layer, and then a separate layer for the blur superimposed. 
Get rid of that layer and re-release!.

#KEEP IT REAL
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
I believe blurring of the side is a side (!) effect of the fact that only a front image is used.

So the solution should be to use front and side images. If they did that and there is blurring then the face mapping algorithm should be adjusted.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
@Tony

Just wait the Siggraph and you'll have all your anwers...

https://blog.reallusion.com/2019/07/05/meet-us-at-siggraph-2019-los-angeles/?fbclid=IwAR1pQGpE2PyqGBWiai96tLGyYx94efuquXwj_8xDEH0em_4Gp_rcAj_lEcY
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)

animagic (7/5/2019)
I believe blurring of the side is a side (!) effect of the fact that only a front image is used.

So the solution should be to use front and side images. If they did that and there is blurring then the face mapping algorithm should be adjusted.

Ani, fascinating.  Do you know this to be an issue with front-only texturing onto a mesh?
Very cool...if true, it is so odd that there is a consistent sharpness to the side hair, and ear, but then the blur seems to hit the neck, the cheeks, and outer lips. 
So somehow the ear and the hair on the side would have survived a side photography denigration, whereas skin did not.
Interesting.

On a practical level, it might be they were looking to make sure the head could match a non-specific general body, like when you pick it so the body's color matches the head.
Might be they blurred the areas closer to the body on purpose in order to give the transition a smooth connective appearance, and this would have come at the cost of the texture's detail.
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Wait, this is just the motion link thing they are showcasing, there is nothing new about realistic face textures themselves, ie realistic face image texture maps.
What they are showing is a pathway to get iClone characters into Unreal, where you can use the HQ Shader in Unreal.  But, you know, they already have shown us this for our testing, just up to this point was in a psuedo-testing phase.
Because, see, I could move all the Realistic 100 Textures I want to the Unreal HQ shader, it will not alter the fact that the underlying face texture is 2K and blurred towards the edges. 
The Bump/Normal maps do not mask that up close.  Also, the Unreal HQ shader, even if rendered RTX, like Iray or Octane, can not save a blurry texture. You still see a toony blur...just a raytraced toony blur.

Now, if they said something about CC3 having a new slate of realistic scanned heads or something, this would more directly address what I am talking about.
But, there is nothing here showing that CC3 is doing anything differently, it still just transfers out what you give it.

Thaks for showing the weblink, as Unreal link looks cool, but unfortunately not really related to this topic as Unreal HQ shader and underlying image textures are not same thing.
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Tony, you are correct about the ears and the hair, so they must be doing something different from the normal CT8 process, which never shows the hair. Mind you, I'm just guessing...Unsure

animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I checked the newer CC3 heads I recently bought which have 4K textures and the sides have a similar blurring; they lack the detail of the front.

With the Appearance Editor (currently CC1/2 only), you usually add detail via Substance, such as pores and freckles, so in that case you have detail which masks the blurring up to a point.

EDIT: That was for a female head texture. A male texture I checked was a bit better, because of the beard stubble. 

Another puzzle: why do these textures have Glow maps (set at 0%).

Edited
5 Years Ago by animagic
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

animagic (7/5/2019)
I checked the newer CC3 heads I recently bought which have 4K textures and the sides have a similar blurring; they lack the detail of the front.

With the Appearance Editor (currently CC1/2 only), you usually add detail via Substance, such as pores and freckles, so in that case you have detail which masks the blurring up to a point.

EDIT: That was for a female head texture. A male texture I checked was a bit better, because of the beard stubble. 

Another puzzle: why do these textures have Glow maps (set at 0%).

Ani - great idea! you can add in grain to your face to sort of disguise that blur.  I used Photoshop.  This one I also sharpened and then smudged the eyebrows (they looked pixelated after being sharpened.
Otherwise they look really blurred...so it's a workaround for a kind of silly situation....because they are realistic faces, LOL.

In Octane render-

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/78e177a9-d253-4fb2-802a-c571.png

On the Glow Map, I remember seeing a video a while back (can't remember exactly which one) where Kai in a tutorial referred to the Glow map as adding in some SSS type depth effect, he only applied like 1-2% in the video. 
I think it was an attempt by RL to show what Wildstar and others were referring to now as Thickness Maps, which visually could simulate SSS.
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

TonyDPrime (7/5/2019)

Wait, this is just the motion link thing they are showcasing, there is nothing new about realistic face textures themselves, ie realistic face image texture maps.
What they are showing is a pathway to get iClone characters into Unreal, where you can use the HQ Shader in Unreal.  But, you know, they already have shown us this for our testing, just up to this point was in a psuedo-testing phase.
Because, see, I could move all the Realistic 100 Textures I want to the Unreal HQ shader, it will not alter the fact that the underlying face texture is 2K and blurred towards the edges. 
The Bump/Normal maps do not mask that up close.  Also, the Unreal HQ shader, even if rendered RTX, like Iray or Octane, can not save a blurry texture. You still see a toony blur...just a raytraced toony blur.

Now, if they said something about CC3 having a new slate of realistic scanned heads or something, this would more directly address what I am talking about.
But, there is nothing here showing that CC3 is doing anything differently, it still just transfers out what you give it.

Thaks for showing the weblink, as Unreal link looks cool, but unfortunately not really related to this topic as Unreal HQ shader and underlying image textures are not same thing.

Oh...Mtakerkart, there is actually one thing on there that is kind of like a texture-driven thing, where it says. 

• AI-Based 3D Face Generation from Photo

Artificial intelligence will assist users in turning a single photograph into a talking, animatable 3D character.

Hmmmmm!  Pretty nice possibilities...we shall see what this can do! 
Although, I don't know if it will equal, say, a full blown 4K unfiltered Realistic 100 texture map.
Or will it!!!???  w00t  

Reading This Topic