Tutorial 1: Creating Morph Slider from OBJ or iAvatar

Posted By Eric (RL) 8 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Yes throwing mesh at a character is not the right thing to do even in old fashioned cgi less is more.

Game engines have strict poly counts for asset ... go look up the specifications for say unity the poly count is actually pretty low.      The CC characters in my opinion are actually pretty high poly for game engines and if I were going to use em in a game would export and optimize them externally and not import directly to unity or unreal if i were making an actual game.    Although the concept is nice with layers this concept lends itself better to making movies and such in unity.  

You bring out detail with textures always always.     The less polygons you can get away with the better.      I like the CC characters for movie making, but in all honestly I would not use em in a game situation ever without 'fixing em'.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
8 Years Ago by urbanlamb
GreedyPeopleSuck
GreedyPeopleSuck
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
urbanlamb (12/12/2016)
Yes throwing mesh at a character is not the right thing to do even in old fashioned cgi less is more.

Game engines have strict poly counts for asset ... go look up the specifications for say unity the poly count is actually pretty low.      The CC characters in my opinion are actually pretty high poly for game engines and if I were going to use em in a game would export and optimize them externally and not import directly to unity or unreal if i were making an actual game.    Although the concept is nice with layers this concept lends itself better to making movies and such in unity.  

You bring out detail with textures always always.     The less polygons you can get away with the better.      I like the CC characters for movie making, but in all honestly I would not use em in a game situation ever without 'fixing em'.   

Interesting assessment. I am still trying to figure out how to subdivide and reimport. It throws errors, but allegedly it is possible. Any ideas?

I find the polys a bit light for 4k export in CT8. I am doing more or less life like textures for the characters. It's much more noticeable the lost detail especially with very recognizable faces.

I agree on the games as well, especially if you are inevitably porting for mobile.  15k is way too many for most things. Fuse (Mixamo now Adobe) character creator has more controls over polys, but unfortunately they are not compatible with CT8 because of DRM. Adobe has kind of let development die a bit, which is why I'm so happy with what will be possible with RA software. I think Adobe just bought Mixamo to kill competition, and take the bits they wanted for other projects more than to develop it to what it can be. 

For low poly I would use my own topology that is character specific. A couple more days more for much better results. 

Anna Mironova
Anna Mironova
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (813 reputation)Veteran Member (813 reputation)Veteran Member (813 reputation)Veteran Member (813 reputation)Veteran Member (813 reputation)Veteran Member (813 reputation)Veteran Member (813 reputation)Veteran Member (813 reputation)Veteran Member (813 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Could you please help me to understand what am i doing wrong

the problem is feet size for kids after using a slider
seems like it stay in adult size and doesnt change at all (all other parts of sliders works just fine)

Slider was made from obj (figure on left) sourse morph - default

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0a33ba37-f4c9-4b9d-b078-40c8.png
Edited
7 Years Ago by annamironova2007
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

nadiak (12/27/2016)
urbanlamb (12/12/2016)

Interesting assessment. I am still trying to figure out how to subdivide and reimport. It throws errors, but allegedly it is possible. Any ideas?

I find the polys a bit light for 4k export in CT8. I am doing more or less life like textures for the characters. It's much more noticeable the lost detail especially with very recognizable faces.

I agree on the games as well, especially if you are inevitably porting for mobile.  15k is way too many for most things. Fuse (Mixamo now Adobe) character creator has more controls over polys, but unfortunately they are not compatible with CT8 because of DRM. Adobe has kind of let development die a bit, which is why I'm so happy with what will be possible with RA software. I think Adobe just bought Mixamo to kill competition, and take the bits they wanted for other projects more than to develop it to what it can be. 

For low poly I would use my own topology that is character specific. A couple more days more for much better results. 

You cannot subdivide and re-miport into the CC.  So unless your going to convert to a nonstandard character in the 3dexchange and have no intention of adding it back to the CC you can't do it.  Subdivision changes vertex info. You can only sculpt the original mesh and move the vertexes around, but you cannot change the vertex order or add anymore or take any away.  This was explained above and is in the tutorials dont subdivide or change vertex order.  

If you decide to add mesh or take it away you will be needing to re-rig the thing and use it as a non-standard character via 3dexchange

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
7 Years Ago by urbanlamb
AasmundSchei
AasmundSchei
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Is it possible to create a morph for universal scaling of a character? (Like in the whole character)

Desktop
: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula - 16GB ram - i7 7700K Kaby Lake @ 4.2ghz - ASUS GeForce ROG 1080 8GB Strix advanced - M.2 NVMe: Samsung 960 500GB - Windows 10 home

Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
annamironova2007 (1/29/2017)
Could you please help me to understand what am i doing wrong

the problem is feet size for kids after using a slider
seems like it stay in adult size and doesnt change at all (all other parts of sliders works just fine)

Slider was made from obj (figure on left) sourse morph - default

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0a33ba37-f4c9-4b9d-b078-40c8.png

I ran into this a couple times also, not completely sure but I think it had something to do with using an avatar sent to CC from iClone and exported in CC as an obj, if I remember right it didn't happen when using an avatar created and exported directly from CC.  It's been a while but I'll see if I can dig up the files that gave me problems and test it again.

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I'm trying to create morph sliders for teeth, they import fine, and I can use the slider in the current session, but as soon as I load a new character in, the teeth morph disappears. What am I doing wrong?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

paulg625
paulg625
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Thanks for the info!

Reading This Topic